Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port opens in carwash ... !!!

Pepar

Wireless Member
May 19, 2021
On the Beach, Quintana Roo
I finished charging at a supercharger and drove a few tenths of a mile to a self serve/manual carwash. I am certain the port door closed after charging and that I didn't arrive with it open. But as I turn around with the wand in my hand from feeding my credit card to the machine, and the nozzle was just beginning to mist, I noticed the port was open. OK, I manually closed it and continued.

The next time I got to that corner of the car and began spraying, the port opened while I was watching. This time I closed it with the app and LOCKED the car. I was able to finish washing without any problems.

WTF? Should I report it to Tesla?

PianoAl

Dec 15, 2019
Far Northern California
This happens to me all the time when rinsing the car with a hose. It's the pressure from the water that is enough like tapping the car that it opens.

Being aware of it is enough to avoid the problem.

SVMike

Aug 1, 2018
Silicon Valley
The "car wash mode" was requested over 2 years ago and now has over 277 votes "for" it

Aug 7, 2020
USA
Reactions: CyberGus

fgurnee

Feb 11, 2020
Fremont CA
I put the car in car wash mode today and sure enough the charge port was locked. Unfortunately after exiting car wash mode the door remained locked. I had to manually open from the screen. Par for the course.

Big Earl

bnkwupt
Supporting Member
Jul 12, 2017
Springfield, VA
Car wash mode is really designed for automated car washes that pull your car through a tunnel. For self-washes, simply locking the car is the best option.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC