Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port pin erratic behavior?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a late 2014 P85D and have always had strange behavior from the locking pin in the charge port.

When stopping a charge session, I unlock the car doors, hold the button down on handle and the light will turn from blinking green to light blue as normal. But I cant always pull the plug out because the pin keeps bouncing up and down.

It's like I have to find the rhythm of it to get the thing disconnected. If I can't get it first couple tries, it seems like I just sit there looking like an idiot for 5-10sec holding down the button on handle, until the pin finally gives up and let's me disconnect.

I had a loaner recently with a different charge port. Had a completely different, much more robust, a satisfying tactile lock unlock mechanism, etc... Very easy to use in comparison.

Any idea if I'm experiencing user error or a quirky generation port?

Last edited:
I believe you just click the button once and not hold it down?

If I recall, clicking the charge cable handle button once on my car just makes the port turn dark blue for a half second, then normal blinking green. Always had to hold button down to get light blue, then listen closely for the pin dancing up and down, trying to time pulling it out right. Haha

Reactions: SilverSp33d3r
You probably need a new charger port, the only thing I could suggest would be for you to get a bright flashlight and look inside the charge port and see if there is anything rolling around in there causing a problem. Some Model 3 had a problem with a little piece of plastic that would break of and not allow the charge handle to go in all the way.

ETA I always hold the button down on the charge handle the same way you have been doing.

2015 Model S 85D.
Had the same strange behavior from charge pin about 2 years ago. Service Center changed the charge port: problem solved Had the same issue coming back again a few monts ago. Service Center changed the charge port again: good again.
Hope it will work good for many years!

I believe you just click the button once and not hold it down?
Well, here's the difference:
1. Briefly push it down once:
Sometimes can work for some people with some cars if they are very very lucky
2. Press and hold:
Always works all the time

If I ever just briefly press the button, it will interrupt and unlock for about half of a second and then lock and go dark blue again as soon as the button is released. What I and many other Tesla owners have found that works all the time is that if you keep the button pressed, it keeps the port light white and unlocked. Then, with your other hand, you can grab hold of the adapter and then pull the handle and adapter out together as one piece. It will always work that way, without it re-locking and grabbing hold of your adapter again. Check this video to see what I was describing.

Well, here's the difference:
1. Briefly push it down once:
Sometimes can work for some people with some cars if they are very very lucky
2. Press and hold:
Always works all the time

If I ever just briefly press the button, it will interrupt and unlock for about half of a second and then lock and go dark blue again as soon as the button is released. What I and many other Tesla owners have found that works all the time is that if you keep the button pressed, it keeps the port light white and unlocked. Then, with your other hand, you can grab hold of the adapter and then pull the handle and adapter out together as one piece. It will always work that way, without it re-locking and grabbing hold of your adapter again. Check this video to see what I was describing.

That video shows the Tesla J adapter on J1772 charger.

The button on the J1772 charger handle does one electrical thing: signals power stop, which lets the car unlock the port hole pin. The button also does a mechanical thing: unlatches the Tesla J adapter so it can be physically separated from the handle.

If that were a Tesla handle charger for the Mobile, HPWC, or Supercharger... the button does two electrical things: emits an RF signal that tells the door to open, and signals power stop, which lets the car unlock the port hole pin - so you can pull the Tesla handle out of the port.

So, pressing the button briefly on these two different types of chargers does different things.

You can push the J1772 button and yank the J handle out always, at any time during the charge. It may leave behind the adapter stuck in the port if the pin didn't release in time and friction is holding the adapter in charge port. But I think you can drive away in this situation, your console will show an open charge door.

If you push the button on any Tesla handle, and the pin doesn't release the handle stays stuck in the car... you're not going anywhere.

Last edited: