Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port pin slow retract & no charge LED lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla mobile service guy came today to replace the charge port, but was unable to remove it! He said that he was unable to remove two of the four bolts that fasten the port to the fender. After working on it for awhile, he concluded that it needs to go to the shop, probably for a weld repair of the receivers for the two bolts. He scheduled the car for a service appointment at the service center, in a couple of weeks. He reassembled what he had disassembled and tested to be sure the car can be charged.
One side observation I made is that he had to remove the frunk in order to get access to the 12-volt battery, which he had to disconnect to remove the charge port. That was a fair amount of effort, and I am curious if the later cars are arranged so that it is less work to get at the battery. It certainly took more effort than it would have on any ICE car I have owned, so that increases the cost and difficulty of service.

Is the 12V battery buried under the front HVAC inlet on your car? I have 2016 70D and the 12V is right behind the frunk in the middle of it.
PXL_20230905_132513687.jpg

It's next to the washer fluid tank just ahead of the rear edge of the frunk opening. Not sure if that is where you mean. I have read that newer cars have the battery in a location that is easier to access than on earlier cars, but I do not know when that change occurred. (Pretty dirty under there after 8 years, isn't it...!)

Reactions: KalJoMoS
Meanwhile, after the mobile service tech tried to replace the charge port, but failed to get all the bolts out, I later realized that I could not charge! Took it to the SC today and they could not get it to charge, either, so they asked me to leave it. No loaner available, though, so I'll be without a car for the next 2 weeks or so, I guess. (Body shop has a long backlog, I was told. They need the body shop because welding is needed to repair the attachment bolts.) Wish me luck...

It took 4 weeks to get the chargeport replaced! As noted above, I dropped it off on September 8. As of September 27 (almost 3 weeks after I left it), the car was still at the Dedham Service Center and had not been sent to the body shop! It turns out that the "body shop liaison" guy thought it had been trucked to the body shop, but it hadn't! So it went there the next day, and came back a few days later. At that point, the same "body shop liaison" realized belatedly that there was a second piece of work that the body shop was supposed to do, but which he hadn't been aware and had not arranged. (I had asked them to repair my driver's door check, which has worn to the point of being useless.) He told me he would send back to the body shop for that. But I said no, I wanted my car back and said I would live with the faulty door check.
It was great to get my car back after a month! Especially since it was, in fact, a pretty minor repair. The car charged OK last night at my house. The charge port acted weird when I tried to unplug, but once I re-booted the MCU it seemed to work correctly.
I was disappointed that one of the two shops made rather a mess of my trunk area, not being careful with the various things I had there. In retrospect, probably I should have removed my cleaning supplies, charge cables, tire pump, etc. Apparently they had to remove the entire trunk liner, including the under-floor storage part. Some clips were left off and the pieces do not all fit together correctly, but I am going to live with it, I think.
I do not yet have an invoice, so I am not absolutely sure what parts they replaced. I hope they replaced the chargeport and the ring light. Those were on the initial estimate.
Long ordeal. Definitely the worst service experience I have had in 8 years.....