Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port pin slow retract & no charge LED lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious if anyone has experienced this issue. When attempting to open my charge port door it opens as expected but the charge port makes some noises for 15 seconds or so before the pin retracts and you can actually insert the charger. Also I have intermittent luck with the LED on the charger displaying green when charging or any colors at all for that matter. I'd say 90% of the time no lights display but the charging works normally. I'm still under warranty on my 15' P85D and I've had the charge port replaced before and had the same results. I just recently had it replaced again by mobile ranger and saw the charge lights work a couple times now back to slow response and no LED indicators. I've been in contact with the ranger and it sounds like they want to do more diagnostics to see the issue but wondering if anyone else has experienced issues like this before? Doesn't seem to be directly related to the charge port itself. We did a firmware update when the new charge port was installed. Got new update yesterday for 2020.12.11.5 still same issue.

TLDR; Charge port door opens as expected. Takes 15-20 seconds before able to insert charger due to pin not retracting. Charger ring LEDs intermittently illuminates. Car chargers fine. 2 charge port replacements still same issue.

Reactions: xanatos
I'm experience the same problem (along with the self presenting door handle cogs).
I suspect it's a mechanical issue with the charge pin retracting. The sound I hear is a servo cycling so I'm assuming there is resistance in the pin travel.
Apparently there is a known problem with water ingress into this assembly -
Charge Port Fault - Unofficial Tesla Tech
I'll repost when I dive into it.
Cheers
MDR

Be curious to see what you find out. I'm taking mine into Tesla for MCU2 upgrade and asked them to look at this issue again on Weds. I think they just want to replace the charge port again which is going to be annoying because that clearly isn't the issue after having it replaced twice already.

I have always had it so that the LEDs are on only at the beginning of the charging and when you show up during the process. The pin does retract app. 5s after the press on the cable and it has been same with the new port that was change a year ago. But this is a EU version car. I did had another issue wit the door sensor that I managed to solve -
Charge port door sensor fault

I am starting to see this on my 2016 Model X. I get no LED lights (red, blue, green or white) and it takes sometimes 10-15 seconds before it will accept the insertion of the charger ( I guess you guys term that to be "retraction of the pin". And now it is delayed in disconnecting and allowing me to pull out the charger. It is almost like a solenoid is starting to fail but not sure how the LED lights play into that.

I have also had the "charge port open" come up on the dash several times and it seems very inconsistent.

BTW, I had the MCU upgraded 6 months ago and that seems to be working just fine. I am not believing it is related.

I still have some warranty left so I will make a service appointment. I would love to know the issue before making the appointment.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Never really updated this thread as I put my info in another similar post but here's what was changed on mine and its been fine since.
Tesla replaced my charge port several times times and it would be temp fixed then had same issue. They originally replaced the port with PN1026041-00-O in Dec 2019 and I still had the problem they came back and replaced it with another PN1026041-00-Q in May 2020 and then finally in Nov changed my charge port door with 1038548-00-I and its been fine since.

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and FeeYe
I still have some warranty left so I will make a service appointment. I would love to know the issue before making the appointment.
I had initial issue with UMC not disconnecting properly, had to wait a bit to disengage and reported this to Tesla. They changed the charge port and connecting the cable have been fine since. Would recommend to ask them to change it as you still are under warranty. If I remember correctly it was aroung €850.- plus labor, few years back. It’s the charge port that was changed, that door (motorised or not, see my previous post) is complete different assembly.

Reactions: Erie Electric
I went ahead and scheduled a service appointment. I have to say that after washing the car the same day as making the appointment, the LED lights seemed to start working again although it was not consistent.
They replaced the Charge Port (yes, it is about $1000 but I was under warranty) but then told me that it did not seem to fix the problem. They kept it an extra day and replaced the Charge Port Door (saying they had to remove the entire Charge Port they had put in the day before) and that fixed it
They were very nice.

Reactions: FeeYe
I went ahead and scheduled a service appointment. I have to say that after washing the car the same day as making the appointment, the LED lights seemed to start working again although it was not consistent.
They replaced the Charge Port (yes, it is about $1000 but I was under warranty) but then told me that it did not seem to fix the problem. They kept it an extra day and replaced the Charge Port Door (saying they had to remove the entire Charge Port they had put in the day before) and that fixed it
They were very nice.
Did they clean the draining duct for you?

It looks like this (the one with rubber sleeve). Worth to read about it on the link in post #8

B775F459-92B6-4E82-8D35-CA65680A8736.jpeg

Found this thread when searching for info related my recent charge port problems. I reported issue to Tesla and made a service appointment -- mobile tech is coming next week. their estimates shows they plan to replace both the charge port assembly and the light. Total cost quoted at $1400. Glad i have the Extended Service Agreement -- for just 3 more weeks! My 2015 is approaching its 8th birthday quickly.

Reactions: pilotSteve