Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port plug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bear with me, I’m relatively new around here...
Just having learned that the Tesla charge plug is the standard plug used on all EVs in europe, why on earth didn’t Tesla adopt that same plug in the USA? Yes, it’s threee phase, but for single phase power in the USA, just designate a pair of conductors as single phase. Puzzeled.

Bear with me, I’m relatively new around here...
Just having learned that the Tesla charge plug is the standard plug used on all EVs in europe, why on earth didn’t Tesla adopt that same plug in the USA? Yes, it’s threee phase, but for single phase power in the USA, just designate a pair of conductors as single phase. Puzzeled.

Short version is - the North American one came first, the Type 2 plug was used when they realised they needed to support 3-phase in Europe (and almost every other country). They already had a significant installed user base of the North American plugs (vehicles and home installed HPWCs) so it would have been too hard to change. In hindsight - it probably would have been possible then. Now, with superchargers and destination chargers all through North America, it's even harder.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva and ai4px