TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charge Port problem

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by nghktom, Jul 2, 2015.

1. nghktom

nghktom Member

I know there are other postings, but would like to share this with Tesla HK owner.

Today I experienced the second time with my charge port not being able to be opened. The first time, I waited for 5 - 10 minutes, and somehow it worked again. Today, it won't. Got really fed-up with it, and called the tech support.

Tech support staff is very helpful and share a trick :-

Press the button on the charger (the one you normally use to open the charge port).
    While the button is being pressed (yes, hold on to the button and don't let go), your other hand then press on the right side of the charge port cover. this means the end towards the rear of the vehicle.

The charge port door opens.

Apparently, a new software update will address this problem, but a) not sure when; b) the staff won't put you on priority list; c) the problem was reported months (if not year) ago, it took so long for a software update.

Anyway, it solves the problem for time being.

2. Captain_Kong

Captain_Kong Member

I've this problem too. My "trick" when this happens is pressing the rear hatch section / button on my remote key (which unlocks the charge port magnet switch) and at the same time gently use and insert a credit card into the port hatch to "wedge" it opened.

I think and observed this is due to poor panel fit, the port hatch is fitted too tightly with the surrounding body panel. Not sure how a software update will help... Though I plan to fix this next time I visit service center.

3. Phil K

Phil K Member

Others taught me to stick a little disc onto the magnet and port door now opens every time without failure.

4. Electric700

Electric700 Member

What type of disc? Can you post a picture and link to the product?

5. lx3h

lx3h Charged.hk TSLA Grp Rep

Thin chair leg pads will work. HK$10 for a dozen.

2015-Hot-50Pcs-Round-Shaped-Table-font-b-Chair-b-font-Furniture-font-b-Leg-b.jpg

6. Electric700

Electric700 Member

Good to know! Thanks.

7. jepicken

jepicken VIN: 80322

I have this problem as well, and I tried putting a piece of tape over the magnet, but it made the car think the charge port was always open. I would think putting one of those discs would have the same effect, no?

8. jsiu

jsiu Member

Is this a known fault to Tesla service centre? If yes, do they take any action? I suppose it should be their responsibility to fix it up. Of course, it is our own curiosity to look for self solution here.

9. Blue_Model_S

Blue_Model_S Member

The door is sometimes slightly misaligned and it sticks to the wall above/below. The service center can fix it or replace it. One doesn't need to put up with it.

10. nghktom

nghktom Member

The software update is done. According to the message, the update does not seem to be related to the charge port issue. Agree with Blue_model_S, tesla should be responsible. However, they should get the technician to come to us and not the other way round.

11. Vmax

Vmax Member

Which car brand sends a technician to you for a minor issue in HK?

12. AppleFan

AppleFan Member

They send someone to pick up your car and then deliver it after they are done servicing. If you're willing to wait, they might even give you a loaner.
    Please name one other car dealer in Hong Kong that does all that. For free.

13. Phil K

Phil K Member

With the disc, you need to give the door a little bit of push when closing and it's fine.

14. 3fiftynine

3fiftynine Member

Agree @AppleFan, I enjoyed (P85+) loaner once, they also offered to pick up my car at work but since I was quite remote and didn't want to go home by public transport so I decided to spend time consuming their coffee/ice cream waiting at the shop!

15. nghktom

nghktom Member

wondering when Tesla can come up with a PERMANENT fix for the charge port wont open issue. It is annoying.