Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port sensor fault and part availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car threw a 'Charge port sensor fault' yesterday, and won't charge. From a quick search this is not all that uncommon. So I requested service through the app, and was pleasantly surprised when they said mobile service would be here Tuesday morning.

Alas, earlier today, they messaged me to say they couldn't get hold of the part, and the earliest they could do was March 8th.

I messaged back through the app this morning to ask whether they can find the part at any of the neighboring SCs, or whether they can overnight it from wherever does have it - I've even offered to pay the shipping if they can get the part more quickly. Otherwise, since my car is at 20%, it's basically useless for the next two weeks. Frustrating in the extreme. Plus I've actually taken a deposit from a buyer who was hoping to come collect it this week.

Grrrrr.

Charge port sensor or charge port DOOR sensor?

If it’s the door, which is the commonly failing part, it should not prevent you from charging. You might have to play with it a bit though.

For mine, I had to manually push the door open, then open the charging menu in the car and manually unlock the charging port. Then it would accept the charging wand and let me charge as usual.

• Informative
Reactions: JimmyB
Thanks - you're right, the error is CP_w043 Charge port door sensor fault. Charge port may not operate as expected.

When I tried it earlier today, the locking pin for the charging wand is stuck in the 'up' position. Using the manual release to get the wand in just upsets the car even more and you get a 'won't charge' message. But I didn't describe the sequence you describe above. I'll have a play with it tomorrow, and see if I can't figure it out.

There is a drain underneath the charge port door that gets clogged. If you remove your charge port and the rear tail light you'll be able to clear the grommet and hose with a stiff wire. That will prevent water from sitting and causing that particular CP_w043 error.
20220227_173012.jpg

Thanks - you're right, the error is CP_w043 Charge port door sensor fault. Charge port may not operate as expected.

When I tried it earlier today, the locking pin for the charging wand is stuck in the 'up' position. Using the manual release to get the wand in just upsets the car even more and you get a 'won't charge' message. But I didn't describe the sequence you describe above. I'll have a play with it tomorrow, and see if I can't figure it out.
When my door sensor failed the door would open when I clicked the charge handle but it would take about 30 sec for the locking mechanism to lower so I could insert the charge cable. It was very stressful because it started to happen to me on a roadtrip and i was at 3% when i pulled into a Supercharger and the lock wasn't going down, i was freaking out then finally it lowered and until i got it replaced a few weeks later i just had to wait every time i wanted to charge and eventually the lock goes down and i can charge.

it was an $80 part an $120 additional for the labor since its a HV item its restricted part and they won't sell it to you for a self install.

Same charge port door sensor fault (CP_w043) similar behavior (port will open, unlock, and close, and charge fine, colors and all), but the car always believes the charge port is open. later 2017 model.

So you replace just the chargeport door assembly? Or will it require the whole charge port or even the ECU to be swapped? Hoping just the door assembly. Can't find those for less than about $250, not sure what @airborne spoon had for $80.

Same charge port door sensor fault (CP_w043) similar behavior (port will open, unlock, and close, and charge fine, colors and all), but the car always believes the charge port is open. later 2017 model.

So you replace just the chargeport door assembly? Or will it require the whole charge port or even the ECU to be swapped? Hoping just the door assembly. Can't find those for less than about $250, not sure what @airborne spoon had for $80.
Yes, just the door. It’s a pretty easy job.

Not sure about third parties, but it was far less than $250 from Tesla when I bought one.

I had the door sensor replaced that was what caused the problems not the charge port or the door just the charge port door sensor

I have the same issue. My question is this: What is the harm in just leaving it? It is a little inconvenient, but maybe it isn't worth replacing if it isn't doing any further damage.
Mine kept getting progressively worse - started with a delay before the lock pin would drop but eventually I had to do a dance of manually pushing the door open and using the charge port unlock button on the center screen to get it to take a charge. Sometimes I had to try 2-3 times. Wasn't worth risking getting stranded to save $100.

Reactions: springdaisy82
Mine kept getting progressively worse - started with a delay before the lock pin would drop but eventually I had to do a dance of manually pushing the door open and using the charge port unlock button on the center screen to get it to take a charge. Sometimes I had to try 2-3 times. Wasn't worth risking getting stranded to save $100.
Thanks! But for me, they are quoting $469 to replace the charge port door assembly. Just the part cost $385.