Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port service on 2 day old S75

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I picked up my MS75 on Sunday, and by Tuesday, the charge port was "locked out", with the little plastic locking pin stuck shut. Couldn't charge the vehicle.

I called roadside assistance and they attempted to debug it to no avail. Brought it into the service center this morning and they said there was a "clip" that hadn't been installed correctly at the factory. Hopefully this was a one-time thing, but it sure wasn't nice to have a non-rechargeable vehicle after 2 days :(

Attachments

• IMG_0699.jpg
    IMG_0699.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 73
Bummer. Welcome to Tesla's inconsistent QC/QA. At least it's not too serious a fix I'd expect. My delivery came with non-working brake and flickering tail lights... that I didn't know about till I was followed by wife in her car. Quickly fixed, but still a bummer on day one.

There is actually a pretty large group of "newer" Model S' that are having charge port problems. Must are the constant "charge port error" "charge port needs replacing". To the extent that there is a nationwide backlog and wait for them. Fingers crossed for you that yours was just a clip issue

It's just not that unusual to have one or two things that aren't right at delivery, and you find out about them in the first couple of weeks of using the car. Any complex mechanical thing with many thousands of parts is very difficult to have every single thing exactly perfect. And it's hard to test every system in every condition in a couple hours of inspection. That's why ships have a "shakedown cruise", to make the to-do list of the initial build stuff that needs to get fixed. When my car came, the handles wouldn't auto-present. They would come out by clicking the fob, but not from detecting it. It turned out to be a wiring harness in the door that had a broken clip, so it didn't stay plugged into the receptacle part it was plugging into. They replaced that, and then then I didn't have any problems for a year and a half.

We were one of those that had a charge port issue. Intermittent when they checked it out. The charge port in our case would put up a solid red ring before we could put the nozzle in. This happened to us on our first charge right after we picked up our car from getting it wrapped from delivery. So in our case hadn't even gotten the car home. The part (in our case not door related but the charge component) came in the next business day and they promptly took care of it. It was disappointing but happy to report that since that time--no other issues to affect that grin :D.

Except for many car manufacturers, if there is a simple paint defect or a component that fails QA testing, the entire car gets scrapped since there is possibility of other lurking defects. For Tesla, they simply push it out the door and hope the customer doesn't notice or care.

• Funny
Reactions: xyeahtony
Except for many car manufacturers, if there is a simple paint defect or a component that fails QA testing, the entire car gets scrapped since there is possibility of other lurking defects. For Tesla, they simply push it out the door and hope the customer doesn't notice or care.

That is hilariously and obviously untrue. "oh look here's a defect in the car, whatever move along they wont notice," is hardly a likely scenario unless the factory is run by a bunch of deadbeats. More likely its them just not noticing the problem.

Reactions: Rocky_H