Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge ports?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys! I used to own a 2013 p85 model S. It had many issues most of which was due in part to dust getting inside the charge port door. I’d heard that Tesla had upgraded the door possibly? I know what the 2013 original door looked like and it didn’t seal shut when closed. Can anyone tell me if this has been changed 2014 or newer cars? Possibly be willing to provide me with pictures. I LOVED my Tesla and keep coming back to either buying a used or a new. Thanks!

Is your car a "D" version with AP1 hardware? My first car was delivered September 18, 2014 and the only update that it had was the reversed stalks for turn signals and cruise control. My January 2016 car has the auto charge port door so it was introduced some time between 10/14 and 01/16.

Would any of you be willing to take a picture of the door with it open? Specifically I’m looking to see whether dust can still get inside the port. I had so many UMC’s replaced with my first car as well as the port itself. I’ve been looking at a 2015 p90d. I’ve reached out asking for pictures but whoever’s at that location just keeps sending me pictures of where it’s located. Ya I know where it’s at.

Here is mine.

Attachments

• 61DD19A6-DB64-4C9F-9359-146200548988.jpeg
    61DD19A6-DB64-4C9F-9359-146200548988.jpeg
    230 KB · Views: 70
I’m looking at a P85d vin circa 62700 with a build date of 12/14. Does a home have a p85 with a vin around that that does have a motorized door? The vehicle is in Dallas and I don’t want to fly all the way there to find out this won’t work for me for that one tiny thing. I’ve asked several people at Tesla and no one can seem to confirm.

I’m looking at a P85d vin circa 62700 with a build date of 12/14. Does a home have a p85 with a vin around that that does have a motorized door? The vehicle is in Dallas and I don’t want to fly all the way there to find out this won’t work for me for that one tiny thing. I’ve asked several people at Tesla and no one can seem to confirm.
I own 2014 P85D ending in 62508 manufactured in 11/14. My charge port door both opens & closes by itself.

Thank you!! I was able to get my local service center to pull the build about 25 minutes ago and confirmed it’s Motorized. We pulled the plug and back with the Tesla fam. I can’t wait for this car to get here.
Congratulations. Welcome back to the fam, fam!

In related conversation, I don't see a physical difference in how the charge port door "seals up" between the older version that doesn't auto-close and the newer style that does. It looks identical to me. There is a little rubber puck that sort of plugs the port whenever the door is closed and this the same between the two versions. Now, what I can see happening is your may have lost that puck on your earlier model. On our earlier model that little puck actually came off the backside of the charge port. Fortunately I was charging at home so I found it but if I was on the road and not paying attention it would be gone. I was able to clean up the back, apply some 3M VHB & epoxy resin to glue the sucker back on so it's good as new and safely covering the charge port when not in use. If this happened to you maybe that's why you were getting so much crud in and maybe you think that the newer charge port door includes that plug and that's it looks different/better? I can see that happening but the auto-close shouldn't have any bearing on keeping the charge port clear of debris that the non-auto version does. Maybe a short blast with canned air every once in a blue moon would be helpful but this would go for both versions.