Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

charge question less than 20% left

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, been on a long trip today and got home about 5pm with 16% charge left, as I am on Octopus I won't charge the car until 11:30pm.

Is this OK or given the low state of charge should I charge straight away, not sure if leaving it for 6 or 7 hours with less than 20% charge is detrimental to battery longevity ?

I got back today on 6% today and car was advising me to charge straight away. Warned me battery can lose charge while parked so not to leave in that low state. Pretty sure it would have been ok till cheap rate but my day rate is still fixed at 13.7p so i bumped it up to 20% to be on the safe side. Need 50% for tomorrow anyway and only going to get 25% on my 3 hours offpeak any way so some peak charging needed either way.

FWIW I always charge my car immediately if I arrive below 20%. Leaving car at Low / High battery for prolonged period is not good, but I don't know what is "low" in this context - clearly 1% would be bad, so I chose 20% as my cutoff :) It also means that if I had to go out unexpectedly I would have some charge - once it got back to 20% that would be 60+ miles

I stop peak-charging at 20%-ish, and then let the remainder charge overnight (and probably tomorrow night too as off-peak period not long enough to fully replenish from low percentage). If I am going somewhere long distance "tomorrow" then I also need to consider further peak charging so as to be "full" by tomorrow's departure.