TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charge queuing question

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by Ticobird, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Ticobird

Ticobird Member

I am new to Tesla and wanted to ask about the process of queuing in a parking lot for a turn at a busy EC. How exactly is this handled?

- - - Updated - - -

I obviously meant SC rather than EC.:smile:

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

In the southeast it's likely you'll never experience this.

3. Enadler

Enadler Member

I've used the SC's about a dozen times and have never had that issue.

4. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

As you travel a bit, and go to more populated areas (and routes), you may actually have to occasionally wait.
    I have seen cars pull up, patiently wait until the first (fully charged) car leaves and then they pull into the next open Supercharger bay.
    If there is another car that arrives, it queues into line.
    Et cetera.

And sometimes, the late arriving (local) Model S pulls up, sees that all stations are full and they decide to not wait and they go on to somewhere else for a while.

I have encountered full Supercharger stations @ Mt. Shasta, Las Vegas, Fremont, Hawthorne, Barstow, Laguna Seca (temporary), Huntsville, Waco and Denver, CO (mall).
    And I have been to a whole lot more stations where I have been the lone car charging.

As Model S (and soon-to-be Model X) will be the only cars that can currently charge @ a Supercharger, you will probably be unobstructed for a while.
    After Model 3 comes on-line and after a couple of years of ramped-up production, things might get a bit more interesting, especially during peak Summer and Holiday travel times.

However, I fully expect TM will continue to develop and improve on the projected Supercharger Network well past 2016.

5. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Honestly, I'm expecting the crowding at Superchargers to decrease after 2016.

As long as Tesla keeps setting aside $2k per car for Superchargers, the pool of money available to install new chargers will scale with production.

Right now, most of the new installs are adding territory at the edges of the map. In 2016 Tesla will be mostly done with that in North America, except for Canada and Alaska. So they'll instead be spending the ever increasing new stall fund on the areas with the most traffic - and we know they have real time data on usage.

Obviously, a bigger fleet means more chance to slam a few stations unexpectedly - which is one reason I'm sure that you'll see an updated Navigation firmware that not only routes you through the Supercharger chain, but communicates its intentions back to Tesla and adjusts the recommended specific stops on the chain based on expected usage levels in the heavily traveled parts of the network (which will by that point have half a dozen overlapping choices to stop at.)
    Walter

6. benjiejr

benjiejr Technogeekextraordinaire

Hasn't happened to me yet down here in south Texas, but I'd imagine the queuing works like when you go to a barbershop.

7. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Member

8. GreenPenguin

GreenPenguin Member

I heard that once they build out the SC network, Tesla will be pushing for more HWPC installations to fill in the gaps.

9. bxr140

bxr140 Member

At the risk of dragging this into the gutter, its a lot like waiting for stalls in a crowded bathroom. For charging, the first car in line gets the first available charger. Its quite obvious who's waiting, so there's little chance of you unknowingly snaking someone.

On the unrelated future charging discussion, the inevitible faster charging rates will also relieve crowded supercharging locations.