Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge rate drop off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks,

I have a Tesla Model 3 that I bought in June of last year (2019). I had a wall charger installed at my home on a 50 amp breaker and have always gotten 42 mi/hr charge out of it since purchase. I have charged my car many times since the original purchase without a hitch. I usually plug it in somewhere around 30-60 miles left and charge to 80%.

The other night, I plug in at 60 mi left and left it plugged in for about 4-5 hours. (early work day, not enough sleep). When I went to the car in the morning, it had only charged to 160 miles and was charging at 6 mi/hr. I didn't have time to leave it, but unplugging and plugging back in the charge cable seemed to ramp it back up to 42 mi/hr.

Tonight I am charging again. When I plugged in I watched to see what would happen and it ran right up to 42 mi/hr. It is now about 3.5 hours later and the car is up to 216 mi and the charge rate is down to 30 mi/hr and pulling 34/48 amps at 236v.

Anyone seen this start happening before? As far as I know its has never done this before and always has charged at 42 mi/hr previously.

Thanks!

Do you mean you had the wall charger installed with a 60 amp breaker? You said 50 amp, but a 50amp breaker should not be charging the car at 48 amps. If it has been, you might have an electrical issue with your wiring etc. You should set the wall charger so that it only charges at 40 amps if you have a 50 amp breaker.

If you have a 60 amp breaker and just mis typed it, then charging at 48 amps (and thus 42 miles per hour of charge) is ok. If your breaker is 50amp, it isnt.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H