Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge rate on 100 volt circuit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone who has received their car tested to see what the real-world charge rate on a 15-amp 110 volt circuit is? I know there was some speculation that it might be higher than the Model S.

I'm in a condo with a dumb HOA, so this will be my primary source of charging for the time being, supplemented by destination/supercharging. I can get by with the 3-4 mile per charge hour, but if it's more that would be great!

• Funny
Reactions: powertoold
I'm thinking at least 4-5 miles an hour based on real world consumption of 230wh/mi (aero wheels) in the other thread. The 3 also has very low vampire drain.

This is also another game changing aspect of the model 3. Most people (drive less than 40 miles a day) would do fine with a regular outlet.

In the "other" forum it was already reported by someone who got their car in November that they were able to charge the car about 6-7 miles of range per hour plugged into a dedicated 110V 15 amp circuit. I believe this is better than what the S/X can do which is about 4-5 miles per hour of charging.

The main problem with going this approach for long term use is that inevitably you will pull into the garage after driving more than usual and you won't have enough time to fully charge the car. I think most will opt to put in the 40 amp service.

3mph on 15 amp 110 for model 3 per this page:
Home charging installation

That's got to be some more underselling.... a standard 15A outlet is 120V*12A = 1440W. The car uses around 235Wh/mi so that's 6.1MPH

Unless you're using a 1000 ft 22 gauge extension cord, there's absolutely no way the efficiency is so low or vampire drain so high that literally half of the energy is wasted between wall and battery.

When it's cold, you may not get any charging as all the energy will be going to keep the battery warm. 4 mph is considered very good. What I would do is find out if there are any CHAdeMO in your area and purchase the adapter for when the 120V charging isn't enough.

Reactions: JPUConn and gjunky
120V in the US.

And the LR Model 3 is rated 267 Wh/mile, not 230 or 235.

It's also worth pointing out that 15 amp charging is really inefficient, you will be losing more power to resistance losses than you will with higher amp service.

The first part of that sentence is directionally correct, if a bit exaggerated. The second part of that sentence is not correct.

Reactions: Robert831
120V in the US.

And the LR Model 3 is rated 267 Wh/mile, not 230 or 235.

The first part of that sentence is directionally correct, if a bit exaggerated. The second part of that sentence is not correct.

Poor choice of words on my part. There are basic inefficiencies in charging itself that are constant regardless of charging at 15 amps vs charging at 30, 40, 50 amps. Because of that, charging is less efficient.

More info/discussion around some of this here;

Impact of high amp charging on Model 3 battery life

Reactions: JHWJR
I started out with 110v charging - what an exercise in futility.
The biggest problem is that it only suits a single charging profile (for example 9 hours to recharge after the commute) which can't be altered.
If you stray outside that profile you have to look elsewhere for charging. So one day you drive further due to a side visit or want to go out for a meal, visit friends etc etc - that means you don't have enough time to recover/recharge so have to go charge somewhere else.
Real L2 means flexibility, house powered pre-conditioning etc etc. Much more useful.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Any differences in charge rate in terms of miles per hour are solely due to the improved efficiency of the 3, not anything having to do with it being able to draw more power. I suppose the charging losses may be lower, but probably not a lot, especially in comparison to the rather significant driving efficiency improvement.

It's also worth pointing out that 15 amp charging is really inefficient, you will be losing more power to resistance losses than you will with higher amp service.
This is nowhere near true. First of all, Power = Current^2 * Resistance. Thus, any higher amperage increases the resistive losses in proportion to the square of current. Secondly, no electrical service is going to lose half or more of the power to resistive losses. Even in the case of 120V/12A charging (1440W), you are not losing 720W continuously to resistive heating. No way. Furthermore, that would then imply that the other 720W is going to get you 3.5 mi/hr of charging... or an end result of 206Wh/mi. Good luck!

Perhaps what you were thinking of is the "loss" that goes toward powering the electronics in the car, plus the normal charging losses (~10%). General consensus is about 80% total charging efficiency on the S/X.

The issue is that the HOA won't let him do anything sensible. Some states have laws that prevent the HOAs from doing this. I don't know if the OP lives in one of them or not. That's something worth checking out.

I'll look into it, but I doubt it. Utah got rid of their state EV rebate this year and I just found out that there's a cap on how many HOV stickers they'll give to alternative energy vehicles and there's currently a wait over 1000 vehicles long.

Has anyone in CA actually tested the charge rate with a 120v 15A outlet? There has to be at least one person!

Considering the aero wheels give the LR around 230wh/mi, I have trouble seeing it under 4 mi/hr in typical CA weather.