Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Rate Reduced - Known issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been getting Charge Rate Reduce errors at home. I have the black Elon signature wall connector. At first, the errors would come and go and unplugging / re-plugging would fix them. I had service out for a separate issue and couldn't reproduce it (go figure) so they suggested I capture the exact time when it happens again and schedule another service visit. I did and Tesla responded with this:

I found that what you are experiencing currently is due to a known issue that is under investigation. The vehicle will show this fault when it senses distorted grid voltage from the outlet, it should charge fine at another location with better grip power and using DC charging like the supercharger or CHAdeMO. This will likely be fixed in future firmware that will be sent to your vehicle automatically when available.

I just wanted to pass this on in case anyone else experiences it.

Attachments

• 20200919_120458.jpg
    20200919_120458.jpg
    449.4 KB · Views: 242
  • 20200919_115949.jpg
    20200919_115949.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 198
  • 20200919_115943.jpg
    20200919_115943.jpg
    417.8 KB · Views: 190
I've been getting Charge Rate Reduce errors at home. I have the black Elon signature wall connector. At first, the errors would come and go and unplugging / re-plugging would fix them. I had service out for a separate issue and couldn't reproduce it (go figure) so they suggested I capture the exact time when it happens again and schedule another service visit. I did and Tesla responded with this:

I found that what you are experiencing currently is due to a known issue that is under investigation. The vehicle will show this fault when it senses distorted grid voltage from the outlet, it should charge fine at another location with better grip power and using DC charging like the supercharger or CHAdeMO. This will likely be fixed in future firmware that will be sent to your vehicle automatically when available.

I just wanted to pass this on in case anyone else experiences it.

thank you for this post.
Finally someone else with exactly same problem. A mobile tech looked at my vehicle LR AWD Model Y and confirmed the known issue story that will be fixed by firmware update. I certainly hope they issue this soon.

Just had the alert on my P3D+. Charged at 48A for maybe 15-20min, then went to 0A, and then climbed up to 32A and produced the error.
Now I'm wondering if it's a hardware issue with 1 of 3 AC/DC converters that some had swapped earlier or if it's a software issue. I'm on 36.16 firmware. (I already reset & power-off the car and reset & re-plugged the HPWC)

@NY_Rob
It happened at my house (every time this month) and at Tesla service center.
Voltage changed at most +-1Volt.
So this is most definitely a vehicle problem. The only question is whether it's software or hardware issue.
i.e. they could have lowered temp limits or something else, and it may be triggering the issue after a few minutes of charging.

Looks like this is fixed in 2020.40.3. I had my Y plugged in running 2020.36.12 and it was charging at 16/40 amps. After applying the update, its now charging at the full 40 amps again.

I also found that the 2020.40.3 update fixed my mobile connector reduced charging rate back to 32 Amps. Having hpwc installed this week. Hopefully no issues. Nervous about future software updates?

Same problem with my 2018 Model 3 LR. I thought the problem was on a public Tesla wall charger, but then tried it at home at 48A and it exhibited the exact same symptoms. Takes a few minutes with the current going up and back down to zero before it finally gives the charge rate reduced notification. Will only charge with a max of 32 amps now on a 48 amp wall charger. Currently on 2020.40.8

I'm going in for service and they already ordered parts for PCS. Thus, it seems that these are hardware and not software issues. Maybe Tesla wants to keep people from coming in and thus they're claiming it's software. It also seems like many of the people with the issue had their cars made in 2018. (Bad batch?)

Created an account so I Could post some info for you guys.

Had the same issue with my LR Model Y. I actually was charging fine for the first 2 weeks, then it was capped at 32 amps instead of 40 amps, (I only have it hooked up to a 50 amp breaker).

Took it in for service. They replaced the power conversion system. Happy to say it works as it should now.

Sorry for those holding out for a software fix....it's probably hardware.

Also of note, I did NOT have to update the firmware for my HPWC at all....