Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Rate Reduced - Model 3 SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I have been charging my M3 at home for the since it was new on a HPWC for the last 16 months. The HPWC is on a 40am breaker that was installed into a new home. I've never had a charging issue and i always set the "depart time" in the charging settings and the car is always completely charged to the desired percentage and ready to go in the mornings. This past week for two days in a row, it said the charge was complete but it didn't charge to the desired percentage, which is very strange so I have made a service appt. Then this morning the same thing happened but this time I got an error message that said "charge rate reduced". It normally charges at 32a but was showing 16a. It said to unplug and reconnect, which i tried, but no luck.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions?

thanks,

Have you tried blowing out the charge port and charging connector with some compressed air(not sure if this is the recommended way to clean it out), or at least looked inside to make sure there isn't dirt or a crushed spider in there, I've had it happen when using some public chargers and usually find that the connector is full of dirt from someone dropping it on the ground.

I’ve had this exact issue the past few months. When I’m charging at home, I sometimes would get the full 30 amps but other time it would only draw 16/30. Had a service appointment lined up. Before the service I got a text from SC saying they run some remote diagnostics and everything is working fine and the reduce charging rate is due to a software bug. The issue will be addressed in an upcoming firmware update but did not give an ETA of when that would be.

• Informative
Reactions: Hyacinth416
I’ve had this exact issue the past few months. When I’m charging at home, I sometimes would get the full 30 amps but other time it would only draw 16/30. Had a service appointment lined up. Before the service I got a text from SC saying they run some remote diagnostics and everything is working fine and the reduce charging rate is due to a software bug. The issue will be addressed in an upcoming firmware update but did not give an ETA of when that would be.

Keep me posted, hope it's not a bug fix that we have to wait a long time for. thanks

Thanks for the tips everyone. I just had my appointment canceled by Tesla service and they sent a note which is similar to what VancityTM3 reported above. Its an issue that is impacting AC charging and they hope to have it resolved in a future firmware upgrade.

Reactions: RiverBrick
Same. Had my appointment cancelled stating this is a firmware bug. I even stopped by my local Service Center - who had a technician check the logs - same conclusion. No ETA on when the firmware will be available, but this is the reply I got from mobile service.

"We have spoken to engineering and they have determined the issue that is occurring with charging is related to a known firmware bug. They are diligently working on a solution and will update your vehicle with a firmware revision as soon as its ready. This is a high priority and should be resolved shortly. As a technician is not required we will close this request, however your vehicle has been flagged to require the firmware fix when ready. Thank you for your patience"
Posters in other threads have mentioned being told by SC that the issue is around over sensitivity in power quality measurements as other posters here have also noted.

I got firmware update 2020.36.15 this morning, but it did not resolve the problem.

Searching other threads on this topic from several months ago often mentioned replacing the Power Conversion System for cars with the same symptoms. More recently the response is to wait for firmware. I was told in a chat with Mobile Service that several cars are all showing the same logs and symptoms. I hope it doesn't take too long for the firmware fix.

Got a new update on Oct 1 and have not had any issues with charging since (I’ve charged 4 times). Still a small sample size but normally it would have failed at least half the time. Hopefully it’s fixed, though no mention of it in the release notes. I’m currently running 2020.36.16.