Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Rate Reduced- Wall Plug Temperature High

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During the last few days, this message has continuously popped up. It is a drag, the charging is slow(14-15 mph). I charge with a 14-50 and I normally get between 32-36 without a problem. Granted, it is quite hot but it has consistently been a problem over the last few days. But we’ve had hotter days and charging hasn’t been this slow. Does anybody know how to take care of this issue? The superchargers near me are always slammed or I’d take it there. This has been an issue for both of my Tesla’s.
AE592D23-A5A8-439C-B8FC-C38754024478.jpeg

I guess I would first rule out an actual problem with the outlet (as the message says) -- an actual electrical problem would ruin your day.

But even though you say it's been hotter, it could still be weather related if it's been a sustained high temperature and heat has been building up in your garage (or wherever you are charging), and maybe you are charging at a hotter time of day?

You could try setting your charge rate limit lower (but not all the way down to 16A) so you maybe get 25 mph or so without triggering the high temp error.

But let me ask: do you actually need more than 14-15mph? Is that sufficient to replenish your daily use? 10 hours of 15mph charging should give you 150 miles of range. Can you just charge more often (daily if you aren't already)?

Reactions: RedWhite19
I guess I would first rule out an actual problem with the outlet (as the message says) -- an actual electrical problem would ruin your day.

But even though you say it's been hotter, it could still be weather related if it's been a sustained high temperature and heat has been building up in your garage (or wherever you are charging), and maybe you are charging at a hotter time of day?

You could try setting your charge rate limit lower (but not all the way down to 16A) so you maybe get 25 mph or so without triggering the high temp error.

But let me ask: do you actually need more than 14-15mph? Is that sufficient to replenish your daily use? 10 hours of 15mph charging should give you 150 miles of range. Can you just charge more often (daily if you aren't already)?
Thanks for the feedback. I’ll try lowering the charge rate limit. My charger is outside. So, maybe I need to put some type of shade around it.

And indeed, I put the car on charge and head out for the day. I’ve got 3 cars, the Model 3, a Model Y and a gas powered 3 series. I alternate cars almost daily. One day, I’ll drive this or that.

Sometimes, my folks will come down and they’ll charge their Niro as well and recently that’s been charging slowly as well. So, yes, I kinda do need the car to be charged almost 80-90% anytime I charge. I let the Model 3 go down far too much since I took it to the coast over the weekend and didn’t charge it when I got back.

I had the same problem with the Tesla wall connector in my garage a few months ago. The garage is semi conditioned so the temperature seldom gets over 80 deg. I confirmed all the wiring was proper and connectors tight in the panel and the charger. After some phone testing and software updating Tesla sent me a new wall connector. The new unit is working perfectly. Working with Tesla was professional and quick. I did have to install the new unit myself but that was better than waiting a couple of weeks for mobile service.

I had the same problem with the Tesla wall connector in my garage a few months ago. The garage is semi conditioned so the temperature seldom gets over 80 deg. I confirmed all the wiring was proper and connectors tight in the panel and the charger. After some phone testing and software updating Tesla sent me a new wall connector. The new unit is working perfectly. Working with Tesla was professional and quick. I did have to install the new unit myself but that was better than waiting a couple of weeks for mobile service.
OP's problem was not with a wall connector.

Reactions: CaliSurfer
Granted, it is quite hot but it has consistently been a problem over the last few days.
Dude, you are not taking this problem seriously enough! It tells you the message right there on the screen that it is too hot at the plug. You need to pull the outlet and check for a loose connection that could be about to melt a wire and start a fire! This should have been emphasized a lot more in previous comments, rather than talking about shade.

Dude, you are not taking this problem seriously enough! It tells you the message right there on the screen that it is too hot at the plug. You need to pull the outlet and check for a loose connection that could be about to melt a wire and start a fire! This should have been emphasized a lot more in previous comments, rather than talking about shade.
I’ll call my electrician. I won’t charge the car until he arrives. Thanks.

I didn't figure out the cause. I added the 14-50 cord which was unplugged in the picture which is why its bent over like that. Given that the heat occurred inside at the terminal block, my best guess is that over time, the terminals became loose. I replaced the whole box with a Gen 3 unit which I will routinely check the torque on the terminals.

I’m seeing a similar issue with my 14-50, we’re you able to find out the issue?
This was the problem. One of the screws was not fully placed into its socket and one of the wires burned out. It was limiting the power. Since then I’ve been charging 33-34mph without a hitch.

Check the wiring. Thank you for the advice @Rocky_H.
8CD072F4-2F14-4942-A102-0B117933B21E.jpeg

I am running into the same issue on my Y. I have been using the same mobile charger with the 14-50 output with 32A limit on my 3 for over a year now, but for some reason only the Y is giving me this error. I reduced both the Y and 3 charge rate down to 24A, but the Y is still occasionally throwing the error. It is strange that the 3 does not experience same problem with the same charger and wiring.

Thanks for this thread
I just woke up for my work day and saw 3+ hours remaining to charge on my Scheduled Departure. This is second day in a row. I went down to the car today and saw this same error. I did not see this yesterday though.
I went back down to garage; de-energized circuit; opened up my NEMA 15-40 outlet. No signs of any wiring or plug issues in this 2.5 yr-old installation. After putting it back together and energizing circuit again, and plugging charger back in, it is humming right along once again. For some of you (and me) it could be just time to unplug and replug the wall plug. For me, if it comes back, it'll be time to call an electrician.

During the last few days, this message has continuously popped up. It is a drag, the charging is slow(14-15 mph). I charge with a 14-50 and I normally get between 32-36 without a problem. Granted, it is quite hot but it has consistently been a problem over the last few days. But we’ve had hotter days and charging hasn’t been this slow. Does anybody know how to take care of this issue? The superchargers near me are always slammed or I’d take it there. This has been an issue for both of my Tesla’s.View attachment 695810

OK. Speaking as a EE..
You've got the Tesla Mobile Connector. One end is in the car going to the adapter part with the electronics in it; the other end is a plug, stuck into the wall socket.
So, let's think about this a minute. There's an error on the screen: "Charge Rate Reduced, Wall Plug Temperature High."
So.. guys.. exactly how do you think the TMC knows that the Wall Plug Temp is too high? It doesn't have a finger.
Implication: The adapter end that plugs into the wall socket has a thermal sensor in it, courtesy of Tesla. Could be a thermistor, could be a thermocouple, could be the right kind of diode; but, any old way, there's electronics in the thick part of the TMC that's measuring the temperature of that component.
My experience with the above named temperature measuring components is that, generally, they're pretty accurate, to within a few degrees C.
I don't know what temperature Tesla sets that alarm to; but I take a flying stab and say that it's likely to be around 100C-125C. And maybe higher. Let me check something.. OK, did a random Google search, found a NEMA5-15 socket by Schurter. Operating temperature range: -25C to 150C.
So, my bet of the day is that Tesla's hardware/software is tripping around 110-125C, down in the guts of the socket where the metal blades go.
The next step past this: Let's Have Fun With Fire!
As a previous poster stated, this can ruin your whole day. And maybe your whole house.
If you get an error message like this.. I'd say, Stop Charging And Get It Fixed, ASAP!