Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Rate reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charge on a single phase 32A outlet. Recently the car has been turning itself down to 17A and will only go back to 32A if I reset the charging. Tesla service told me that this is a known bug in the recent firmware but I can't find any reference to that on the forums. Anyone else have this problem - anyone found a solution?

Here is a picture

Screenshot_20200804-203132_Tesla.jpg

I've seen some other folks on this forum complain of similar issues, but the cause was always a faulty UMC or Wall Connector, or faulty wiring going to it. The symptom was that it would charge at full speed for a while (e.g., 30 minutes) until it got too hot, then the charge speed would turn itself down to protect the equipment.

If you have the ability to test using a different outlet, different UMC, different location, etc, you should be able to determine if the problem is really a hardware issue vs a software problem.

Good Luck.

The UMC has status lights you can decode. It’s likely a thermal fault.

Here’s a link to the Tesla Gen 2 UMC: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ocs/gen_2_umc/Gen2_Mobile_Connector_en_JP.pdf

I’ve reduced my charging from 32A down to 24A since it gets above 85 F sometimes in the garage when charging during the summer. Mine has shown thermal faults a few times this summer. Almost always it’s the plug or the receptacle itself.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
The UMC has status lights you can decode. It’s likely a thermal fault.

Here’s a link to the Tesla Gen 2 UMC: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ocs/gen_2_umc/Gen2_Mobile_Connector_en_JP.pdf

I’ve reduced my charging from 32A down to 24A since it gets above 85 F sometimes in the garage when charging during the summer. Mine has shown thermal faults a few times this summer. Almost always it’s the plug or the receptacle itself.

my garage is between 85F to 95F in late afternoon/ evening with the sun beating down on the metal door ... if i dial down to 24A i do not get any overheating warning... running 32A will trigger overheat warning and reduce to 16A. I'd rather charge consistently at 24A vs. going back up/down from 32A to 16A and overheating the UMC. *zero* issues in fall/winter with a cold garage.

Reactions: pl8dlikafiddle
Thanks for the replies - this is a non-Tesla charger. It charges my Leaf pefectly at a continuous 32A so don't think the charger is at fault.

My car just updated to 2020.28.6 - will see if the charging improves

Since upgrade to 2020.28.6 the 32A charging seems to be stable.

However dropped in to the Edinburgh supercharger today as I needed a top up. Edinburgh is limited to 130kW but I only got 100kW briefly before the charge rate dropped to 80kW. Batter was at around 100mile range and I topped it to 200 Miles. Wonder why?