Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge rates - 3 phase, EVSEs, single & dual chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A long way from home, far from Superchargers, off the beaten track, away from or maybe en route to destination chargers, charging can be slow & confusing. We all want to get back on the road as quickly as possible. With regular 10A or even 15A power outlets - at 8 km/h or even 12 km/h or so charge rate - it’s going to take 24 hours or longer. That’s just not practical en route. No problem if you’re hanging around for at least a few days but if you’re on you way somewhere, you need charge rates that only 3 phase can supply.

Fortunately there are many 3 phase options all around the country at showgrounds, marinas, caravan parks and businesses. So what do you need? What are the charge rates? How much does it cost? Who do I pay? All questions that may not be obvious to everyone. Plugshare has a lot of these answers but not all.

For those new to the world of remote area Tesla charging options, hopefully some answers will follow. Myself, I’m not new to remote area charging but I’m still confused by some charge rates with the single charger & updated models so maybe I can be set straight too.

1. Classic Model S & single charger or Updated Model S/X & 11kW on-board charger - Maximum 11kW or around 50 km/h or so charge rate with 3 phase 32A outlet. Required 3 phase 32A connector (available from EVnomics), Tesla Euro tail adapter (available from Tesla) & supplied UMC (Universal Mobile Connector). If all there is available is a 3 phase 20A outlet, you’ll need a 3 phase 20A connector (EVnomics) to connect instead of the 32A version. I’ve only seen this at one place so far (Gin Gin Showgrounds) but was so thankful I had the 20A connector.

2. Classic Model S & dual chargers - Maximum 22kW or around 106 km/h charge rate from 3 phase 32A with an EVSE like the Juice Booster 2 (EVnomics). Maximum 13.75kW or around 62 km/h charge rate from 3 phase 20A with an EVSE.

3. Updated Model S/X & 16.5kW on-board charger - Maximum 16.5kW or around 80 km/h charge rate with 3 phase 32A outlet & EVSE.

Has anyone been on a road trip with the Juice Booster 2 yet? I’d like to read opinions. It looks like a seriously well engineered device.

JB2_160107_800x600ll_higher.png

No personal experience, but @RichardMcN is one of the experts here! Check out his anti-clockwise Australia thread.

There is also a great explanation about the various options at Tesla Charging Options for Australia - thanks to @ColinA .

Finally, a reminder for those who aren't aware, TOCA and AEVA are co-funding the supply/install of 3-phase outlets in remote roadhouses all around the country (starting with the remote major routes). If anyone knows a potential host on these routes (check Plugshare to see what is already existing) please share :)

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
A long way from home, far from Superchargers, off the beaten track, away from or maybe en route to destination chargers, charging can be slow & confusing. We all want to get back on the road as quickly as possible. With regular 10A or even 15A power outlets - at 8 km/h or even 12 km/h or so charge rate - it’s going to take 24 hours or longer. That’s just not practical en route. No problem if you’re hanging around for at least a few days but if you’re on you way somewhere, you need charge rates that only 3 phase can supply.

Fortunately there are many 3 phase options all around the country at showgrounds, marinas, caravan parks and businesses. So what do you need? What are the charge rates? How much does it cost? Who do I pay? All questions that may not be obvious to everyone. Plugshare has a lot of these answers but not all.

For those new to the world of remote area Tesla charging options, hopefully some answers will follow. Myself, I’m not new to remote area charging but I’m still confused by some charge rates with the single charger & updated models so maybe I can be set straight too.

1. Classic Model S & single charger or Updated Model S/X & 11kW on-board charger - Maximum 11kW or around 50 km/h or so charge rate with 3 phase 32A outlet. Required 3 phase 32A connector (available from EVnomics), Tesla Euro tail adapter (available from Tesla) & supplied UMC (Universal Mobile Connector). If all there is available is a 3 phase 20A outlet, you’ll need a 3 phase 20A connector (EVnomics) to connect instead of the 32A version. I’ve only seen this at one place so far (Gin Gin Showgrounds) but was so thankful I had the 20A connector.

2. Classic Model S & dual chargers - Maximum 22kW or around 106 km/h charge rate from 3 phase 32A with an EVSE like the Juice Booster 2 (EVnomics). Maximum 13.75kW or around 62 km/h charge rate from 3 phase 20A with an EVSE.

3. Updated Model S/X & 16.5kW on-board charger - Maximum 16.5kW or around 80 km/h charge rate with 3 phase 32A outlet & EVSE.

Has anyone been on a road trip with the Juice Booster 2 yet? I’d like to read opinions. It looks like a seriously well engineered device.

On a trip from sydney to cairns chasing @brewster Just received a new Juice Booster 2 from Tim. Will report on first impressions of charger in a few days

3 phase is excellent and you have summariesd it neatly I think @WhiteStar but don't forget 15 amp. It is available at EVERY caravan park so you can go absolutely anywhere. If you charge from 4pm to 10am that is 18h x 15km/h which gives you an average range of 270 km/day !

3 phase is excellent and you have summariesd it neatly I think @WhiteStar but don't forget 15 amp. It is available at EVERY caravan park so you can go absolutely anywhere. If you charge from 4pm to 10am that is 18h x 15km/h which gives you an average range of 270 km/day !

Richard. I see you are interested in the Adelaide to Alice route. I wonder if you are prepared to take the next step and complete the trip to Darwin and then back across the top to Sydney. PlugShare has the around Australia route pretty well filled in but the centre is still to be conquered. Myself, i simply don't have the time at the moment to spend a day to travel 270 km with 15 amp charging. Hopefully one day I will be able to stop and smell the roses but I suspect by then we will all be driving electric cars and rapid charging will be pretty much everywhere.

Richard. I see you are interested in the Adelaide to Alice route. I wonder if you are prepared to take the next step and complete the trip to Darwin and then back across the top to Sydney. PlugShare has the around Australia route pretty well filled in but the centre is still to be conquered. Myself, i simply don't have the time at the moment to spend a day to travel 270 km with 15 amp charging. Hopefully one day I will be able to stop and smell the roses but I suspect by then we will all be driving electric cars and rapid charging will be pretty much everywhere.

Adelaide to Alice Springs looks reasonably easy at 1530kms, the locations that have power are at usable spacings, add in a 260km each way diversion to Ayers Rock and its a nice challenge.
Port Augusta 310kms North of Adelaide has 2 locations with destination chargers, that leaves 1220kms of unknown territory, there's a very good chance each location towards Alice will have 3 phase power, the questions are, do they have suitable 5 pin outlets, and will the manager/owner let it be used for car charging, at the very least the fall back is easy access to 15amp outlets, the worst case trip is 12 days return, every usable 3 phase outlet found will take 1/2 a day off the trip North and 1/2 a day off the trip South.
As far as I know Adelaide to Alice has never been completed in a Model S (a Roadster covered Darwin to Adelaide back in 2009 using a support truck for recharging), it would be exciting to be the first and whilst up that way divert over to Uluru and get a photo in front of the Rock.

Reactions: RichardMcN
there's a very good chance each location towards Alice will have 3 phase power, the questions are, do they have suitable 5 pin outlets, and will the manager/owner let it be used for car charging, at the very least the fall back is easy access to 15amp outlets
it would be exciting to be the first and whilst up that way divert over to Uluru and get a photo in front of the Rock.

Great questions. Like remote 3 phase installations elsewhere, I can’t see why 3 phase couldn’t be made available between Port Augusta & Alice. For such an easy & inexpensive installation or modification, 3 phase would be a drawcard for adventurous Tesla drivers. Even if that’s only ever a relatively small number of people, the publicity alone would make it worthwhile.

Glendambo Roadhouse
Coober Pedy
Marla
Erldunda Roadhouse

Who’s first?

Adelaide to Alice Springs looks reasonably easy at 1530kms, the locations that have power are at usable spacings, add in a 260km each way diversion to Ayers Rock and its a nice challenge.
Port Augusta 310kms North of Adelaide has 2 locations with destination chargers, that leaves 1220kms of unknown territory, there's a very good chance each location towards Alice will have 3 phase power, the questions are, do they have suitable 5 pin outlets, and will the manager/owner let it be used for car charging, at the very least the fall back is easy access to 15amp outlets, the worst case trip is 12 days return, every usable 3 phase outlet found will take 1/2 a day off the trip North and 1/2 a day off the trip South.
As far as I know Adelaide to Alice has never been completed in a Model S (a Roadster covered Darwin to Adelaide back in 2009 using a support truck for recharging), it would be exciting to be the first and whilst up that way divert over to Uluru and get a photo in front of the Rock.

And then on to Darwin. PlugShare has charging options north of Threeways Roadhouse which is around 520 km North of Alice. Between Alice and here is Aileron and Barrow Creek.

When you compare with the cost of putting in superchargers, the cost of installing a handful of 3 phase 32 amp outlets pales into insignificance. I can't see why Tesla Australia couldn't even get behind this. Once the points are up on PlugShare the Teslas will come.

Reactions: RichardMcN