Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Speed, both 60 and 85 packs, HPWC, CHAdeMO and Supercharger Compaired

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some videos of mine relating to Testing the CHAdeMO Adapter and Stations, as well as a complete speed Mash-up, Comparing both 60kWh and 85kWh packs being charged from 10% to 80% on 80amp HPWC, 50kW CHAdeMO Stations, and Superchargers. The video is a 6 screen shot showing the two vehicles charging. the 60kWh battery is a "B" pack with at least 15,000 miles on it (Replacement battery for failed original). the 85kWh Battery is a "E" pack with about 3,000 miles on it (Loaner Car for while mine was in for repairs.... Again....)

Please notice, how my results for my 60kWh car are considerably different from what Bjorn got as his charging speed. In fact, the 60 and 85 cars, chargr from 10% to 80% in almost the exact same amount of time. Possibly the top-off to 100% might take a bit longer for the 60 due to higher tapering, but we are talking just minutes in difference between the two. All charging for these tests was done at about 30-35*F Ambient outside temp, wind speeds ~1-12mph.

I'm taking more requests.

Last edited by a moderator:
my results for my 60kWh car are considerably different from what Bjorn got as his charging speed. In fact, the 60 and 85 cars, charge from 10% to 80% in almost the exact same amount of time. Possibly the top-off to 100% might take a bit longer for the 60 due to higher tapering, but we are talking just minutes in difference between the two.

The slower charging speed was one of the reasons I have waffled on consideration of the Tesla S60.
The most significant reason to get the S85 for me is road trip supercharging, as the S60 would be enough for most of the within-Ontario trips we take.

The comparison videos showed percentage, but I was more interested in how many miles of range were added in comparison.

Can you confirm my math:

This suggests the 60 and 85 charge to 80% in near the same time, but that means the 60 is charged to ~140 miles compared to ~200, a difference of 60 miles, which means on a road trip with 3 superchargers, that means the 60 needs to charge at all three, and the 85 can skip one and save 40 minutes.

Which brings me to my request:

The CPO program has some P85's that are priced just under a new 70D. However, AWD is a key differentiator here in Ontario, and my SO is unlikely to choose non-AWD vs AWD if everything else is equal (performance, features, price).

Request: comparison of supercharger speed of 70D vs used 85 (any variety).

Last edited:
The slower charging speed was one of the reasons I have waffled on consideration of the Tesla S60.
The most significant reason to get the S85 for me is road trip supercharging, as the S60 would be enough for most of the within-Ontario trips we take.

The comparison videos showed percentage, but I was more interested in how many miles of range were added in comparison.

Can you confirm my math:

This suggests the 60 and 85 charge to 80% in near the same time, but that means the 60 is charged to ~140 miles compared to ~200, a difference of 60 miles, which means on a road trip with 3 superchargers, that means the 60 needs to charge at all three, and the 85 can skip one and save 40 minutes.

Which brings my to my request:

The CPO program has some P85's that are priced just under a new 70D. However, AWD is a key differentiator here in Ontario, and my SO is unlikely to choose non-AWD vs AWD if everything else is equal (performance, features, price).

Request: comparison of supercharger speed of 70D vs used 85 (any variety).
Your reasoning above is exactly a pet peeve of mine about some firmware changes. Prior to 6.2, or even 6.1 I believe, I could show charge speed in Kwh, and instead of %, it would show rated miles. I perfer this method greatly. % doesn't tell me how far I can go, only that the battery is XX% full.

Your math looks correct.

Reason I did not do 0-100%, is length of time. It took a insane amount of time to do 10-80%. Which gives a very fair display of charge time.
I would love to add a 70D to the mix, however, at this time, Tesla will not allow me a 70D loaner. I have asked :( 1 day is all I need, and my car is in for repairs enough where it should not be too much a issue. Drive home will deplete the pack down very low, a little extra local driving would get me to 10%. Then HPWC it to 80%. Then go for a spin to see my parents, have some dinner, and return home. Stop at Marshall Auto Body and charge from 10% to 80% on his shiny new CHAdeMO station. Drive Home. Next day, so still within 24 hours, drive around a little bit, get done what I need, then drive back to Highland Park, where they have 4 supercharger stalls. Charge from 10% to 80%, then hand them back the key. I could do it in less then 24 hours :)
Then it would be a 8 split screen charge rate video :) I cant wait!!!!

interesting to note btw that the Chademo adapter seems to charge both the s85 and s60 at the same relative speed. Since the charge rate is less than half of a supercharger you'd assume it would charge (relatively) faster on the S60 up to about ~ 50-60% (at which point the Supercharger would taper below chedemo speed on the s60)

interesting to note btw that the Chademo adapter seems to charge both the s85 and s60 at the same relative speed. Since the charge rate is less than half of a supercharger you'd assume it would charge (relatively) faster on the S60 up to about ~ 50-60% (at which point the Supercharger would taper below chedemo speed on the s60)
The lower voltage of the 60kWh pack, means the station will hit it's amperage limitation, before hitting it's Kilowatt output rating first. The higher voltage of the 85kWh pack, allows the station to run full power.
Just as the voltage of the 60kWh pack, is high enough to allow the station to increase to maximum output, within 1-2% of that maximum, the taper starts as the pack becomes full.