Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Speed Reduced, unplug and try again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night, I plugged in my Model 3 into my home HPWC like normal. About 30 minutes later, I checked my phone to see if charging was going good, at which point I noticed it was only charging at 32A. Entered my car and noticed the following error:

"Charge speed reduced, unplug and try again. If issue persists, contact Tesla Service."
rcXCK2G.jpg

I tried to clear the error a few times without success - it now comes up every time I try to charge. I made sure the HPWC wasn't faulty by successfully charging my brother's Model 3 to 48A without error. I called Tesla today and after looking at the error the rep stated they thought this is a "known firmware bug". The rep escalated it to the engineering team to push my Model 3 the fix and look to see if there is another underlying issue (no eta, but said to expect resolution in 2-4 days).

Has anyone seen this specific error before, and what was the outcome? Searching around, the more common error usually states something along the line of "Charge speed reduced, check adapter" or "Ext. Cord Used or Bad Wiring.

Hi,

FYI, I created an account on this forum just to post this.

Just wanted to say I had the exact thing (almost verbatim) happen to me last night! I have had a HPWC installed with 60A breaker, charging my Model 3 at 48A since I got the car in early July. Been great!

Suddenly last night I noticed that my car was only charging at 32A out of 48A. When I plug in the car it tries to ramp up quickly to 48A and then backs down, and then does it again a few more times before settling on 32A.

I contacted Tesla support and they didn't see anything particular in my car's logs. They are sending out a mobile technician, but due to the holidays and holiday travel they won't be here till January. I don't have another Tesla to test my charger with, so at this point it is possible that my HPWC is going bad (or was not installed correctly to begin with). Can't rule that out.

I posted about this on the Facebook Model 3 group and nobody else seemed to chime in with having a similar issue. Your post was the only one that I found that captured my problem. And to think this happened to both our cars within a day of another makes me highly suspicious.

My car has the exact same problem. Happened with UMC and NEMA 14-50 at home. I was charging fine at 32A before but one day the error popped up and has been charging at max of 16A since. The error pops up every time I try to charge. UMC showed no errors.

Tesla Destination chargers and public J1772 stations all exhibited the same symptom. However, Supercharging had no issues.

My car is at the SC right now. I was told it was their first case. (Tyson’s corner VA). Initial call with the tech support who looked at the logs said there was some surge detected and the charging speed was reduced, but it’s not being cleared. Tried th scroll wheel reboot method but to no avail.

The car is M3D from Nov, 2018.

I am supposed to pick it up within day or two and if I do, will let you know what was done to it.

Reactions: fcharland
OP here...
They ended up having to replace the Power Conversion System. Was told they had to flush the battery coolent in order to perform the repair. Took a few days for the part to arrive (understandable due to weekend and new years day), and less than a day to repair.

The invoice lists the following part numbers:
QTY 2: ASY,PCS,48A,1PH,MDL3 (1135558-00-C)
QTY 1: ASY,HOSE,INLET,PCS,MDL3 (1095763-00-F)

All covered by warranty.

GNILzDS.png

Reactions: TheOtherPete
OP here...
They ended up having to replace the Power Conversion System. Was told they had to flush the battery coolent in order to perform the repair. Took a few days for the part to arrive (understandable due to weekend and new years day), and less than a day to repair.

All covered by warranty.

Thanks for the post. Did the Service Center mention at all if they are seeing a lot of cars with this problem ?

OP here...

All covered by warranty.

GNILzDS.png

I wonder why they needed 2 x PCS part? Here is what mine looks like:

Correction: Power Conversion System
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
BOLT,TE,M6x14,[88],ZNNI,SEAL,SDOG (1115916-00-A) 5
ASY,PCS,48A,1PH,MDL3 (1135558-00-C) 1
INSULATOR,ACCESS,FUSES (1088609-00-B) 1
COVER,ACCESS,FC ASY,HVBAT,M3 (110731000-B) 1

Reactions: TheOtherPete
Madreag,

Thanks so much for your responses and updates on this! I am the second poster on this thread. I had been in contact with tesla ongoing since this started on my car (though sporadically because I've been away on vacation and work). They called me on Saturday and told me that they pre-shipped a new power conversion system to my local service center and that they wanted me to come in to have it swapped out under warranty.

I have an appointment tomorrow to have this done. Just on a whim I came back to check on this thread and was very elated to hear that you have already had this fix and that it seems to have resolved the problem. Hopefully mine will be fixed successfully too tomorrow!

Thanks again!

Reactions: Reborn
Hello

Glad this thread was posted. I have a new model 3 (less than 30 days - still using the free EAP) and I received the same error message “Charge speed reduced, unplug and try again”

Instead of waiting for an email back from service, I was able to read this thread. Now I know my new 3 needs service. Good to know it’s under warranty though.

If there is anything else different in regard to the repair (from what Madreag posted) I’ll post it

I have also experienced the same issue with my new model 3. We haven't been able to charge at home since we bought it, only at super chargers. It is getting service now. Does anyone know what is causing it? We are worried the NEMA 14-50 outlet might be the cause. Our outlet is new, but it is run off older wiring from a dryer outlet in the garage. We don't want to have it fixed and then have it happen again.

Shortly after picking up my Mid Range Model 3 in December, I started experiencing this issue while charging with UMC plugged into NEMA 14-50 outlet and also at destination chargers. Public chargers requiring a J1772 adapter doesn't work for me either due to same error. Since I have been charging the car at superchargers most of the time, I haven't brought the car to the service center to fix this problem yet. Btw, sometimes a supercharging session stops itself unexpectedly and shows a message asking me to replug and try again, and when that happens the charge port light shows solid red.

I have also experienced the same issue with my new model 3. We haven't been able to charge at home since we bought it, only at super chargers. It is getting service now. Does anyone know what is causing it? We are worried the NEMA 14-50 outlet might be the cause. Our outlet is new, but it is run off older wiring from a dryer outlet in the garage. We don't want to have it fixed and then have it happen again.
Is the wiring to your old dryer adequate to charge at 32a ? A typical dryer is wired with a 14-30 that’s good for 24a.

Reactions: mswlogo
This is a me too post. Model 3 purchased in November 2018. Sometimes i have had this problem and then it has gone away on re-plugging the connector to the auto. Usually I have 32 amp charge from mobile connector with dedicated 60 amp wall outlet. Now is 8 amps and error message "mobile connector fault". Last time i contacted Tesla, Tesla sent me the procedure below. Helped once but not this time:

Touchscreen Reboot: You can reboot the touchscreen by putting your foot on the brake then pressing and holding both the left and right scroll wheels on the steering wheel until the touchscreen powers off, and a white Tesla "T" logo appears. Release the scroll wheels and brake and allow the touchscreen to turn back on.

Power Cycle: Keep your foot off the brake and make sure all of your doors are shut

• Navigate to Controls (Car icon in bottom left corner of touchscreen) > Safety & Security > Power Off

• Once the car has been turned off for 2 minutes, either open the door to the car or put your foot on the brake to turn the car back on

If that doesn't work, please hold the red reset button on the side of your charging unit for five seconds, give it time to flash and then after about fifteen seconds you can try plugging in again and check your charging rate. Are there any alerts with your slower charging? Do you see any colors out of the ordinary on your Car's charge port or the wall charger?
I don't see a red re-set button anywhere. On the wall connector, the 'T' in Tesla is red but i don't know if that is different.

I cannot get Tesla's chat to work. Is anyone more successful?
I love the car, but getting support's a bitch.