Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We'll receive our first Tesla Y in August - try to prep the wall connector ready 60 amps to maximize 44 mph [indicated on the page 3/5].
On the NEMA Adapter Bundle say: Max power output 29mph per adapter, I will be using NEMA 6-50 Gen2
Can anyone explained please! Thanks in advance...

I think you're confusing two different things. If you're getting a wall charger installed at 60A, you don't need an adapter. The wires go straight into the wall charger.

The NEMA adapters are for the mobile charger that may or may not be included in your car. These allow you to plug the mobile charger into a variety of sockets, including the 50A 6-50. The mobile charger is limited to 32A, however, so you won't get the maximum current possible. You also don't necessarily need the bundle, as you can buy a single adapter for $35-45.

Reactions: WillwayGTO
Upvote 0
You think I might need two types of adapter: 6-50 & 14-50 just in-case friends/relatives having dif. outlet?
And, if I travel out of state do I need special adapter in-case I have to use third party charge station?
Unless your friends/relatives also have an EV or even an recreation vehicle (RV), i.e. a motor home it is unlikely that you will find they have either of those receptacles. The most likely receptacle is the standard 5-15 (120V/15 amp), the next would be 5-20 (120V and 20 amps.) For any other receptacles you should check in advance with the homeowner, hotel or B&B.

Every Tesla vehicle comes with the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter that enables charging using a public Level 1/2 charging station. If you want to use a DC fast charge station the only option used to be the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter (now discontinued by Tesla but available used on eBay.) The new Tesla CCS charging adapter is currently only available in South Korea. Some North America (NA) Tesla owners have been able to order the CCS adapter from Korea. With over 35,000 charging stations (globally), in most locations in NA the Tesla Supercharger network will be all you need when traveling away from your home location.

• Informative
Reactions: Johnny Vector
Upvote 0
You should ask your friends what they have, but I'd expect that most folks won't have anything besides the standard 120v outlet, and maybe a 30A one for the dryer.

As for third party charging, your car will come with an adapter that will let you use any"slow" charger. The supercharger network should be already good enough to cover any trips you want to take. I wouldn't buy any sort of CCS adapter based on "just in case", and only get it if you find that the supercharger network isn't good enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Vector
Upvote 0
You should ask your friends what they have, but I'd expect that most folks won't have anything besides the standard 120v outlet, and maybe a 30A one for the dryer.

As for third party charging, your car will come with an adapter that will let you use any"slow" charger. The supercharger network should be already good enough to cover any trips you want to take. I wouldn't buy any sort of CCS adapter based on "just in case", and only get it if you find that the supercharger network isn't good enough.
I think there's a lot of reason for someone in Westminster to get the CCS adapter via the Korea source (Harumio) for $309. I was in Buena Park in May and found there was a bit of a desert of SCs between Long Beach and BP, and quite a lot of queuing on a Saturday morning. Also, the 58 cent rate for peak charging starts at 11am, and 29 offpeak is only slightly lower then ElectrifyAmerica's 31.

And for the route to Vegas, good to have options, even if they may be just as oversubscribed.

I think Caltrans has also put some 150KW chargers into the rest stops along I-5. Presumably CCS based. Free at the moment, though figure that won't (nor should) last.

Upvote 0