Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Stats in phone app -- does the car use anything from there to determine off-peak hours for scheduled charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So there is a Charge Stats section in the phone app, where you can tell it what your electricity rate schedule is. And then it helpfully shows what your peak and off-peak hours are and estimates your cost to charge based on that.

But does the car actually use the peak and off-peak hours from that part of the app to determine when off-peak hours are? For whatever reason, the in-car UI only lets you set when the off-peak hours end, but not when off-peak hours begin, so it is a mystery as to how the car determines what off-peak hours are for the purpose of scheduled charging.

Took a while (maybe even waited for a new month). Now my app now reports correct stats (with nice details shown) that subtotals off peak and on peak energy used for charging, and correctly accounts for on peak/off peak/weekend rates. Nice job Tesla!!!

So there is a Charge Stats section in the phone app, where you can tell it what your electricity rate schedule is. And then it helpfully shows what your peak and off-peak hours are and estimates your cost to charge based on that.

But does the car actually use the peak and off-peak hours from that part of the app to determine when off-peak hours are? For whatever reason, the in-car UI only lets you set when the off-peak hours end, but not when off-peak hours begin, so it is a mystery as to how the car determines what off-peak hours are for the purpose of scheduled charging.

I dont think so. I believe most of that stuff is in there as "bleed over" from the Tesla Energy stuff for interacting with powerwalls. I dont think the car does anything with this data. I think they just decided to present it to you for information because they made it available for powerwall users late last year to help configure powerwalls to do more granular things.