Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Stats - Tesla app new feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1: I wish there was a print to PDF option or option to email the stats monthly.

2: As far as I can see there is only 1 rate you can add for 3rd party “Other” chargers. However, some chargers and free and some are not. It’s a pity you couldn’t click a 3rd party charge on the graph and add the rate……or have I missed something and there’s another way to do this?

M3 on 2021.44.30.7, app just updated to 4.5.1-864. No charge data. Leased car.

Seems like lease is a common denominator, is it limited to primary driver only being able to view (which would be the lease company), in the same way as we can’t order upgrades ourselves? Maybe someone with a secondary driver registered through a second account could confirm whether both users can see it?

Reactions: MrBadger
I would have thought it knows them already and updates costs as you use them?
It does. I have only used a single SC once this last month and therefore it shows 34p/kwh. On the charge costs tapping the little i gives " Supercharger: Estimated using your Tesla's billing data over the given time period."

My wild guess is that it will probably average your costs over the total kwh.

Although I'm using Intelligent Octopus with a guaranteed period 23.30-05.30 (+ some free solar) it still showed me averaging 12p not 5p. I had to adjust the plan time schedule back to 22.00-07.30 to include extra random half hour slots to bring that back to 5p average.

In spring summer real costs will be lower as the % from solar increases at zero cost & I still have 6,800 free supercharger miles left to use, expiring May 2024 so although this is interesting, it's never going to be truly accurate.

• Informative
Reactions: Doudeau
Although I'm using Intelligent Octopus with a guaranteed period 23.30-05.30 (+ some free solar) it still showed me averaging 12p not 5p. I had to adjust the plan time schedule back to 22.00-07.30 to include extra random half hour slots to bring that back to 5p average.

In spring summer real costs will be lower as the % from solar increases at zero cost & I still have 6,800 free supercharger miles left to use, expiring May 2024 so although this is interesting, it's never going to be truly accurate.
Basically you're just posting up to show how cheap you're running your car lol! - so give yourself a big pat on the back! 😁😁😁

Last edited:
I set up my prices and cheap rates etc and all looked well but the settings are not being used for the calculation. I did the "start over" and carefully put everything in again but my prices are still not being used for the calculation. Any ideas? (Car software is presently 2021.44.30.11)
Just to answer my own question:
For the app to know that you have charged at your home location your home location has to be accurately registered by the car. We are out in the sticks and our actual address location and postcode for "Home" turns out to be a distance from where the car actually sits! You have to go through a few hoops to get the car to register a home location (normal car parked home location) that isn't a straightforward address. Anyway, I'm hoping that future charges will now not just show as "other" but will use my home charging prices.

For anyone else like me who’s not seeing the new feature in the latest app this may explain why:

Why don’t I see the Charge Stats feature in the Tesla app?
There are a few reasons why you may not have access to Charge Stats

1. Your Tesla app must be updated to version 4.5.1 or higher. To check what version of the Tesla app you have, tap the profile picture icon, located in the top-right corner. Scroll down to the bottom where you will find the Tesla app version.
  2. Check your Data Sharing settings from the vehicle touchscreen under the ‘Software’ tab and opt into the road segment sharing option.
    Note: This can take up to 24 hours for the change to reflect in app.
  3. Your vehicle must have software version 2021.44.25 or higher. To check the latest software version on your car, tap ‘Software’ on your touchscreen.
    Note: This can take up to 24 hours after the software update for the change to reflect in app.
  4. Currently, Charge Stats is only available to the primary vehicle owner.

I assume in my case that with my M3LR being a lease car I’m not the primary owner and ‘currently’ only the primary can access this feature in the app

Reactions: M1tch
This is an interesting new feature. I like it, although I can’t understand how it will know I’m charging on free solar when this begins to happen again (probably from March).

I think the real value with this feature is being able to make your ICE driving friends jealous when you whip out your phone in the pub.

It would be good to be able to view this detail from the in-car screen.

For anyone else like me who’s not seeing the new feature in the latest app this may explain why:

I assume in my case that with my M3LR being a lease car I’m not the primary owner and ‘currently’ only the primary can access this feature in the app
Thanks for this. I still don’t understand why they are only allowing the primary owner. They don’t pay for the charging.

I think the real value with this feature is being able to make your ICE driving friends jealous when you whip out your phone in the pub.

Unfortunately that's about right! Not wanting to be churlish but I have plenty of ways to monitor my charging costs. Lots of time and effort going into this feature yet people are still asking for more basic requirements e.g. start/stop charge timer.

Reactions: Llama.
Due to this feature I have noticed a bizzare mapping quirk between the app and the car itself. The in app map accurately recognises my location and address, but when I input my home address in the car (to set as home) it is a couple of hundred metres down the street. In the car it also puts my charging location at a neighbours house across from me and a significant distance away.

All my charging is classed as other and makes the ability to track cost totally useless. Wouldn’t be so bad but I am not in the sticks and my house is now 9y old!

Do Tesla use different mapping data for in car vs app???

Due to this feature I have noticed a bizzare mapping quirk between the app and the car itself. The in app map accurately recognises my location and address, but when I input my home address in the car (to set as home) it is a couple of hundred metres down the street. In the car it also puts my charging location at a neighbours house across from me and a significant distance away.

All my charging is classed as other and makes the ability to track cost totally useless. Wouldn’t be so bad but I am not in the sticks and my house is now 9y old!

Do Tesla use different mapping data for in car vs app???

I just had to deal with exactly this problem. You need to reset your home location but don't use your address. First delete your home location ... next zoom in on the map to exactly where your car is normally parked when at home ... hold finger on that spot to set a pin ... click the star to choose this as a favourite and give it a name. Go back and set your home location and choose your newly created favourite. That should be it. Any future charging should now use your home location correctly. (I'm not in the car so that's as much detail as I can manage just now!)