TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charge status changes when I wiggle the connector..

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by ohmman, Jan 15, 2015.

1. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I have a HPWC in the garage. Plugging it into my MS, I will hear the relay in the car make the thunking noise, followed by the LEDs changing from white to blue (charge scheduled). If I wiggle the connector (even barely) after it's fully seated, it will go white/blue/white/blue and I will hear the relay disengage and re-engage repeatedly. I've cleaned the connector head as well as my MS charge port, but it doesn't seem to help.

I have searched the forums but wasn't able to see this same issue described. Sound familiar to anyone? I have not been able to confirm the issue at a supercharger or another charging location, as I haven't been to one recently. I plan to bring it up with service on my annual service visit in March, but was curious if there were easy workarounds for now.

2. santana338

santana338 Member

I had a similar issue. When my UMC cord was pulling even just slightly against the connector, I would get errors saying the charger wasn't connected.

I mentioned this to the SC during my annual maintenance and they replaced the "trident" (which I think is the term for the charge port in the car). They also replaced my UMC for good measure and I haven't had any issues since.

3. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Thanks, I'm guessing that's it. I just went out there to see if I could get more specific about the issue, and it appears it occurs only when lifting upwards on the head. Firmly pressing downward and side-to-side doesn't cause the issue. I'll make sure to point it out to service. It's been an issue for a while but seems to have gotten worse. I wonder how urgent it is; that is, if I should wait until my March appointment or have it checked out sooner.