Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge STOPPED Interesting Tale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You might try deleting your Home location in the Tesla Navigation system, then seeing if you can charge. There is a relationship between the Home location and the Tesla's charging settings. It is possible that this may have gotten corrupted. If this works then save your current location as the Home location in the Navigation system.
Well that sure sounds like an interesting concept. I just deleted the home setting in the navigation system and then plugged into charger I'll let you know what happens. I'm using the wall connector. Thanks again

There might be something to the idea that the local grid power is the source of your home charging problem. Can you verify if you can charge at the neighbor's house, even 120V for long enough for charging to stop the way it stops at your home?

What does your Tesla Model Y's charging screen display as the voltage and amperage when charging stops?

If this is specific to your home then as a next step you can contact the local power utility service office to open a service request for the utility to have a line monitor placed on your home. This device goes between the house and the electric meter. The line monitor would typically be left in place for a few days, up to a week. The monitor does not interfere with your home's electrical service other than when installing and removing the line monitoring equipment.

The line monitor keeps a running log of the voltage including peaks and dips. Another possibility is some equipment is malfunctioning and injecting noise into the ground connection. The line monitor may also monitor the noise level. The results of the monitoring can then be analyzed by a power utility engineer. All told you could expect that this would take several weeks from the time you submit the request, until the monitoring can be performed and the results evaluated.

Last edited:
There might be something to the idea that the local grid power is the source of your home charging problem. Can you verify if you can charge at the neighbor's house, even 120V for long enough for charging to stop the way it stops at your home?

What does your Tesla Model Y's charging screen display as the voltage and amperage when charging stops?

If this is specific to your home then as a next step you can contact the local power utility service office to open a service request for the utility to have a line monitor placed on your home. This device goes between the house and the electric meter. The line monitor would typically be left in place for a few days, up to a week. The monitor does not interfere with your home's electrical service other than when installing and removing the line monitoring equipment.

The line monitor keeps a running log of the voltage including peaks and dips. Another possibility is some equipment is malfunctioning and injecting noise into the ground connection. The line monitor may also monitor the noise level. The results of the monitoring can then be analyzed by a power utility engineer. All told you could expect that this would take several weeks from the time you submit the request, until the monitoring can be performed and the results evaluated.
I did go down the street to a neighbor's house that has a Tesla and hooked up my mobile connector to there dryer plug 240 volts. After about 1 hour it stopped charging. He is not having any problems with his car charging. But his car came to my house and charged no problem. His car is a Model x. I am leaning to your idea about contacting the power company. The confusing part is I've had 5 other Tesla's model 3 Model S model two MYs and nonr had any issues with charging, just mine.

Sorry forgot, I charge at 240v 40amps with the wall connector BUT it happens at 120v and all 240v at any amperage I select all the time. One other crazy thing, if left overnight and still plugged in around 5 or 6am it starts charging again and sometimes till completely charged.

Sorry forgot, I charge at 240v 40amps with the wall connector BUT it happens at 120v and all 240v at any amperage I select all the time. One other crazy thing, if left overnight and still plugged in around 5 or 6am it starts charging again and sometimes till completely charged.
Before you contact the power company have a licensed electrician check the all of the wire connections at the service panel, also any sub panels in your home. Your charging issue is something you never had with charging any of your previous Tesla vehicles at your home. Over time the connections in the service panel can loosen. Charging can be interrupted when the wiring is warmest yet not in the early AM when the temperature is a bit lower.

If the service panel in the home is old sometimes critical connection tabs inside the back plane of the electrical panel can break off yet be held in place loosely by other wires. I know this one all too well as I had a broken tab on the neutral connection in my home's panel. This caused unbalanced voltages throughout my home. The source of the problem was not correctly identified until I was upgrading my electrical service to 200A and the master electrician I hired was installing a new service panel. All of this occurred four years before I owned my first plug-in vehicle.

Another thing the electrician should check is if there has been corrosion/erosion at the connection points for the power meter. This happened to someone I know, older home and they could not figure out why there were electrical issues until they had an electrician pull the meter and inspect the power meter connections.

Last edited:
Before you contact the power company have a licensed electrician check the all of the wire connections at the service panel, also any sub panels in your home. Your charging issue is something you never had with charging any of your previous Tesla vehicles at your home. Over time the connections in the service panel can loosen. Charging can be interrupted when the wiring is warmest yet not in the early AM when the temperature is a bit lower.

If the service panel in the home is old sometimes critical connection tabs inside the back plane of the electrical panel can break off yet be held in place loosely by other wires. I know this one all too well as I had a broken tab on the neutral connection in my home's panel. This caused unbalanced voltages throughout my home. The source of the problem was not correctly identified until I was upgrading my electrical service to 200A and the master electrician I hired was installing a new service panel. All of this occurred four years before I owned my first plug-in vehicle.

Another thing the electrician should check is if there has been corrosion/erosion at the connection points for the power meter. This happened to someone I know, older home and they could not figure out why there were electrical issues until they had an electrician pull the meter and inspect the power meter connections.
Wow, those are all great thoughts. I will have a master electrical technician come over and check those items. Remember though I did mention that a neighborhood house that I plugged my mobile connector into his 40 amp 240 watt dryer plug also caused it to fail. That's why I took it away from this grid where it worked fine. Can a Master tech remove the meter?
Thanks again jconoe, VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!

Wow, those are all great thoughts. I will have a master electrical technician come over and check those items. Remember though I did mention that a neighborhood house that I plugged my mobile connector into his 40 amp 240 watt dryer plug also caused it to fail. That's why I took it away from this grid where it worked fine. Can a Master tech remove the meter? Also, The 200 amp service panel was replaced about 5 years ago.

Wow, those are all great thoughts. I will have a master electrical technician come over and check those items. Remember though I did mention that a neighborhood house that I plugged my mobile connector into his 40 amp 240 watt dryer plug also caused it to fail. That's why I took it away from this grid where it worked fine. Can a Master tech remove the meter?
You could have inadvertently found an issue with your neighbor's home wiring that is similar to your home's wiring issues. Consider that both homes are the same age, probably built by the same builder who used the same electrical contractor that installed the same electrical components. The clothes dryer may work without issue because it runs for a relatively short period, usually no more than 80 or 90 minutes, has a thermostat that controls the flow of power to the heating element in the dryer.

I don't know the regulations as far as pulling the meter. The utility company might have to be notified when this work is being done, completed.

You could have inadvertently found an issue with your neighbor's home wiring that is similar to your home's wiring issues. Consider that both homes are the same age, probably built by the same builder who used the same electrical contractor that installed the same electrical components. The clothes dryer may work without issue because it runs for a relatively short period, usually no more than 80 or 90 minutes, has a thermostat that controls the flow of power to the heating element in the dryer.

I don't know the regulations as far as pulling the meter. The utility company might have to be notified when this work is being done, completed.
I think I might plug my car into my next door neighbors 110v outside outlet.

Thanks for the information.
I think this afternoon I am going to plug into my neighbors 110v outside outlet and see if it STOPS charging like it does at my house.

I think I might plug my car into my next door neighbors 110v outside outlet.

Thanks for the information.
I think this afternoon I am going to plug into my neighbors 110v outside outlet and see if it STOPS charging like it does at my house.
Although unlikely you could be dealing with multiple issues. If charging using the 120V outlet stops charging with no explanation when charging is not completed then I would borrow the Mobile Connector from the neighbor with the Model X and try again. That would rule out the Mobile connector as the source of any charging issues.

Although unlikely you could be dealing with multiple issues. If charging using the 120V outlet stops charging with no explanation when charging is not completed then I would borrow the Mobile Connector from the neighbor with the Model X and try again. That would rule out the Mobile connector as the source of any charging issues.
Well remembered the wall connector does it also.
Well I tried something new and I plugged the mobile charger nto my house and within 10 minutes it stopped charging on the 110 volt Outlet. So I drove it next door and plugged it into my neighbors 110 outside Outlet and it charged for 10 minutes and stopped charging. He doesn't have a Tesla and he has no knowledge of any electrical issues in his house either just like mine except for the car. Very weird!

Well remembered the wall connector does it also.
Well I tried something new and I plugged the mobile charger nto my house and within 10 minutes it stopped charging on the 110 volt Outlet. So I drove it next door and plugged it into my neighbors 110 outside Outlet and it charged for 10 minutes and stopped charging. He doesn't have a Tesla and he has no knowledge of any electrical issues in his house either just like mine except for the car. Very weird!
The next thing to do would be to borrow the Mobile Connector from the neighbor with the Model X, repeat the 120V tests. If the problem goes away, then you know that at the very least you have a faulty Mobile Connector. If the problem persists then it is not the Mobile Connector but you still don't know whether it is something specific with your vehicle or the power grid in your neighborhood, possibly (but unlikely) it could be both.

The next thing to do would be to borrow the Mobile Connector from the neighbor with the Model X, repeat the 120V tests. If the problem goes away, then you know that at the very least you have a faulty Mobile Connector. If the problem persists then it is not the Mobile Connector but you still don't know whether it is something specific with your vehicle or the power grid in your neighborhood, possibly (but unlikely) it could be both.
Thanks I'll try that. Remember the mobile charger yesterday charged just fine at the location a few miles away for hours. So it's hard to believe that the mobile charger is bad.
Thanks again...
I just came back from a SuperCharger and everything charged normal.

Thanks I'll try that. Remember the mobile charger yesterday charged just fine at the location a few miles away for hours. So it's hard to believe that the mobile charger is bad.
Thanks again...
I just came back from a SuperCharger and everything charged normal.
Hi jcanoe, I did borrow my friend's mobile charger and it stopped charging also.
I went to the service center today and went over all the new updates. They are going to talk to Engineering and see what they think. Bottom line is the grid seems to be an issue BUT why did ALL the other Teslas charged fine at my house.
MAYBE a combination of the grid and a small issue with my MY? Something like a crack in the receptacle or harness? Anyway, I will let you know what transpires as we move forward.
Thanks again for all your thoughts and ideas.
Very much appreciated!

You will be the first to know when I figure this thing out. I'm probably going to call FPL (Florida Power and Light) and see if that can start an investigation on my local grid or house. They have been burying all the power lines underground the last couple of months.
Unless you can confirm by testing another Tesla Model Y that there is an issue with the power coming into your home, in your neighborhood the issue appears to be with your Tesla Model Y. If I was going to start swapping parts to identify a faulty component I would start with the charging port, then the charging port wire harness and go from there.