Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge stops at 89% instead of 90% and 99% instead of 100% Problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2015 P85D that I picked up as a CPO about 3 months ago. I have consistently tried to keep the car charged between 20%-90%. When I first got the car it would charge to 90% no problem and send me a notification on my phone when done. Recently it stops at 89% and says "Charging Completed" and I wouldn't get a notification. First time I thought that maybe I wasn't exactly at the trip default but after trying a couple more times, still only 89%.

Over the weekend the battery unexpectedly fell to around 15%, especially since it's been freezing (actually below freezing) in New Jersey. That night I set the charging limit to 100% and it stopped at 99%. I tried to slide the charging limit down and up again to 100% to restart the charging, still nothing?

Any thoughts? Should I bring it in for service?

This happened to my car and it was due to an improperly balanced battery pack. It could also be due to battery temp being too low.
What are the rated miles shown? Search re-balance battery pack here and see if the software can correct itself.

This happened to my car and it was due to an improperly balanced battery pack. It could also be due to battery temp being too low.
What are the rated miles shown? Search re-balance battery pack here and see if the software can correct itself.

Thanks for the advise. The only issue is when I search, there are a lot of different posts on "re-balancing battery pack". I'm confused on which method in all these posts does the trick. Can you point me to one in particular that you are referring to?

Thanks

I’ll paraphrase. Run battery to low state of charge, then charge back to 100%. Do this a few times over the course of the week and it should re-balance itself.

Does the app say charging completed, battery at 100%, then when you get in the car it says 99%? This would be due to both vampire drain and the battery energy level decreasing due to the battery temp getting colder that when initially charged.

I’ll paraphrase. Run battery to low state of charge, then charge back to 100%. Do this a few times over the course of the week and it should re-balance itself.

Does the app say charging completed, battery at 100%, then when you get in the car it says 99%? This would be due to both vampire drain and the battery energy level decreasing due to the battery temp getting colder that when initially charged.

Unfortunately I don't drive enough over the course of a week to have it go down very low and then back up again. I usually charge it back up after about 7-10 days of driving, sometimes longer.

The app says charging complete at 89% or 99%. It just never gets to the percentage I set. I don't think it's vampire drain. I've tried this during the day, so I can monitor it and even overnight.

I have gen 1 when it's a clear day and gen 2 charger for when the weather is bad and need to close the charger in the enclosure that I use at home. I supercharge once in a blue moon.

You know, just as I'm typing this something struck me. Does it have to do with the fact that I switch between the chargers?
Are you using a 240v/ or 120v from your mobile connector?

I agree with SilverSp33d3r. 7% to 10% should be fine. Driving in cold weather with heater and heated seats ON will get it down pretty quickly.
Heated seats actually use very little power. I installed a set of aftermarket ones years ago that had a 3A fuse. They cabin heater is 6kW. Leaving that on hi with your windows open will drain the battery in no time.