Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge taper started before hitting 90% SOC on a 48a (60a) Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I accidentally set my M3 to charge today to 90% (normally I always charge to just 80%).

What is interesting is that I noticed on my Sense Energy Monitor that the charge started to taper off in speed prior to achieving 90% state of charge.

I find this interesting as I had always assumed that the car did not start tapering the charge rate (on a 48a EVSE) until above 90%.

It is possible that software changed things since this last summer (when I charged to 100% a couple of times and I did not think it tapered till over 90%), but I am wondering if it is more likely that the charge taper starts earlier when the battery is cold. I had not driven very far before I plugged the car back in so it may have been not fully warmed up.

Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 10.15.27 PM.png

I did notice that charging at the hotel on a cold night it took a lot longer to reach 100% charge. Started with about 30% on 208V 32A charger and only got to 97% after 10 hour hotel stay. And when I first checked it at 95% it was only pulling around 4 kw. At home in my (heated) garage I get it topped off way faster (when I do charge to 100%). Oh, and my Model 3 is mid-range.

Reactions: eprosenx
MODEL S/X (I don't have a 3, so can't comment on that) -- I think the software changed during the past couple of months. I can't prove it with facts, but my previous recollections of how many kWh are permitted at various state of charge levels does not match what I see now. Same goes for how much regen is allowed at cooler temperatures. The car is much more protective now than it used to be.

• Helpful
Reactions: eprosenx and BerTX