Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Tesla - Work From Home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my Tesla last Thursday and have been wondering how often to charge. I work from home and my daily commute is approx 25 miles.
Should I charge my car everyday? Is that what Tesla recommends? Up to what percent I should charge whenever I charge? I know there is a limit you can set for charging.
What do other folks on this forum do?
Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Yeah I do have a garage and so far I have charged only twice and have set it to 80%. But I have seen that if I drive around 50 miles, the battery goes down half....is that normal?
My commute is about 50 miles. Yesterday that used about 17% of my battery. Average speed with lots of traffic lights was about 35 mph. Temperature was in mid 60's.

I just picked up my Tesla last Thursday and have been wondering how often to charge. I work from home and my daily commute is approx 25 miles.
Should I charge my car everyday? Is that what Tesla recommends? Up to what percent I should charge whenever I charge? I know there is a limit you can set for charging.
What do other folks on this forum do?
Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Yes, plugging in every day (or night) at home is what Tesla recommends. Set the maximum charging limit wherever you like (between 50 and 90%). 80% is fine. Don't worry about your range estimate. Tap on the range estimate to convert to battery state of charge (SOC). It is more accurate and results in less range anxiety. Check with your local utility. If you sign up for one of the time of use (TOU) rate plans you will save if you charge overnight (typically between 1200 and 600 AM (the off peak rate window can be different in your area.)

Sentry mode, cool weather, warm weather will all consume some battery. If you are checking the car with your app ect and it doesn't go to sleep that will consume a bit more than usual. Just food for thought.

Picked my car about a month ago and loving it but have a question….Should I charge my 2022 model y daily? I work from home and barely use around 40 miles in a day. Even though it can go a long way with one time charging but I wanted to know what’s good for the battery in the long run? What limit should I set to if charging needs to be done on a daily basis? How often does everyone charge their Tesla LR model y ?

I usually charge every other day for 90 minutes. I typically drive less than 10 miles per day. I don't usually charge at home because most of the time I use free Level 2 charging (6kW) inside a public garage with 2 hours free parking. I set the maximum charge level to 90%. For most charging sessions charging completes with ~80% to 85% state of charge since I am limited to charging for 2 hours maximum time in the parking garage unless I want to pay to park longer. Charging this way the state of charge of my Long Range Model Y's battery usually ranges from 60% up to 90%.

If I drove more miles, i.e. 40 miles per day I would charge most days but could skip a day if needed. I would set the maximum charge limit to 80% or 85%, only above 90% if needed for a longer trip.

Charging daily is not a problem at all. People mention reducing charge cycles, but each time you plug in is not a charge cycle. I think that misunderstanding is why some people avoid plugging in some days. The biggest factor in battery life will be the amount of energy used in one go, frequent supercharger use, and the percentage you charge up to.

Going from 80-20 will degrade a battery faster than going from 80-70 a few times and charging in between. So it’s better to keep the battery near the same state of charge rather than trying to drain it down before charging (when possible of course). The wider range of fluctuation is the problem.

Anything 90% and under is fine, but since your daily use is low you can set it to 70%. It won’t be a huge difference, but it is slightly better.

Frequent supercharger use will cause some degradation over time. Any home charge rate is fine and will not be high enough to negatively affect the battery.

Three day old MYRL. No charging at home. Two questions:
- Left in Sentry mode, observed 5% battery loss in 12 hrs (63% -58%.) overnight. Is that excessive or expected? Ryzen maybe burning more in Sentry mode?
- Superchargers in my area are not heavily used. If I set them to charge at ~50kw, would I still expect battery degradation? My intent is to use the superchargers as gas stations, not charge at home. Grocery store is a 10 minute walk from supercharger, so it takes 40min to do a shopping trip, plenty of time for a 50kw (or less) top off to 80%, no need for 150kw.

- Left in Sentry mode, observed 5% battery loss in 12 hrs (63% -58%.) overnight. Is that excessive or expected? Ryzen maybe burning more in Sentry mode?
- Superchargers in my area are not heavily used. If I set them to charge at ~50kw, would I still expect battery degradation? My intent is to use the superchargers as gas stations, not charge at home. Grocery store is a 10 minute walk from supercharger, so it takes 40min to do a shopping trip, plenty of time for a 50kw (or less) top off to 80%, no need for 150kw.
Totally normal with sentry on. You can’t set charging speed at superchargers.

Urban Supercharger stations (most often found in parking garages) are limited to 72kW charging rate. If you want to limit the charging rate then seek out, use Urban Superchargers. In actual use the only downside of Supercharging is the cost (unless you have some remaining free Supercharger miles.)

Reactions: FumelessCamper