Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge time estimate not accurate after update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, new owner here (2021/12)! Does anyone else have problem where after the update, the estimate charge to limit time is excessively long/inaccurate? Could the longer charging time be related to cold weather?

For example in the picture normally on a 110V 12A (I don’t have the NEMA 14-50 installed yet), from 86% to 90% (or 267mi to 280mi), the app or the touchscreen would show some 3 hours, but now it would take 10h50m. Though the electricity is still flowing normally. I can see the estimate time decreasing somewhat rapidly, charging at its normal rate. It’s just the displayed time being weird. It takes a while for it to come back to normal…..

I have 2022 Model 3 Performance, currently running 2021.44.25.6.

Attachments

• F1C3EF25-8AF0-489D-B759-FD91D54093D7.jpeg
    F1C3EF25-8AF0-489D-B759-FD91D54093D7.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 352
It's expected. Totally normal in your case. You already answered why: "110V" and "cold".

There's not much power for your 110V to do both jobs of heating your winter battery and charging it.

You need 240V to help with that.
Right, I’m aware of the problem with the 110V…I was just wondering if the update has anything to do with it. From what you’re saying seems like it can relate to cold weather too! I was only aware that the cold weather would affect charging time (that much) as well! Thank you!

Upvote 0
...the cold weather would affect charging time (that much) as well!...
True.

Your time estimate to completion is based on live status as if everything is the same at that very moment. It changes dynamically as the factors change in the future too.

So when the battery is cold in winter, it needs to divert most of the power to heat up the battery first and very little to the charging. Thus, your time estimate is 10 hours just for 13 miles.

However, if the battery is heated up enough in an hour or more, at that time, most of the power will not be used to heat the battery anymore, and most would then go to charge your battery. At that time, the estimated time would be revised in real-time which will not be 10 hours anymore but will be shorter.

It's the same principle when you want to charge your car to the last mile for 100%. In the last 1 mile, it would say it would take another 15 minutes. Then after 15 minutes, it might still say it will take another 15 minutes. Then after half hour for the last mile, it might still say 5 more minutes, then another 5 minutes...

It predicts the future based on present factors and it doesn't take into account that future factors might change too.

Reactions: Rocky_H and cyc80
Upvote 0
True.

Your time estimate to completion is based on live status as if everything is the same at that very moment. It changes dynamically as the factors change in the future too.

So when the battery is cold in winter, it needs to divert most of the power to heat up the battery first and very little to the charging. Thus, your time estimate is 10 hours just for 13 miles.

However, if the battery is heated up enough in an hour or more, at that time, most of the power will not be used to heat the battery anymore, and most would then go to charge your battery. At that time, the estimated time would be revised in real-time which will not be 10 hours anymore but will be shorter.

It's the same principle when you want to charge your car to the last mile for 100%. In the last 1 mile, it would say it would take another 15 minutes. Then after 15 minutes, it might still say it will take another 15 minutes. Then after half hour for the last mile, it might still say 5 more minutes, then another 5 minutes...

It predicts the future based on present factors and it doesn't take into account that future factors might change too.
Thank you! That makes sense, just like when I got to supercharge station it will precondition for faster charging!

Upvote 0