Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge to 100% on Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@mspohr, so we shouldn't charge to 100% just before leaving home? Even if we could skip a Supercharger stop or shorten our first charge stop? And If we're stopped for lunch on a trip and the car is charged enough to reach the next charger we should stop the charging before finishing our lunch and continuing on?

No one is saying charge to 100% at a Supercharger while waiting for the car to charge and you don't need the extra range. Most of us are saying to take advantage of any time you are stopped to charge the car, even if that's to 100% as long as you'll soon be getting back into the car and continuing your trip. That includes at home before starting your trip, at longer stops where you are doing something else besides waiting for the charge (eating, sightseeing, shopping, whatever), and when making overnight stops. In these cases you are gaining charge without any time cost. At the very least you will save time at your next Supercharger stop, shortening the time you're waiting there, making your trip quicker.

Reactions: GSP
@mspohr, so we shouldn't charge to 100% just before leaving home? Even if we could skip a Supercharger stop or shorten our first charge stop? And If we're stopped for lunch on a trip and the car is charged enough to reach the next charger we should stop the charging before finishing our lunch and continuing on?

No one is saying charge to 100% at a Supercharger while waiting for the car to charge and you don't need the extra range. Most of us are saying to take advantage of any time you are stopped to charge the car, even if that's to 100% as long as you'll soon be getting back into the car and continuing your trip. That includes at home before starting your trip, at longer stops where you are doing something else besides waiting for the charge (eating, sightseeing, shopping, whatever), and when making overnight stops. In these cases you are gaining charge without any time cost. At the very least you will save time at your next Supercharger stop, shortening the time you're waiting there, making your trip quicker.
You can charge to 100% at home. On the road, it's best to keep the battery at the low end of charge since it will charge faster.Don't waste time charging more than you need to get to the next supercharger. Lunch is not a waste of time.

You can charge to 100% at home. On the road, it's best to keep the battery at the low end of charge since it will charge faster.Don't waste time charging more than you need to get to the next supercharger. Lunch is not a waste of time.

I think a few of us may be saying the same thing in different ways. The car charges faster at lower levels, yes - but there's nothing to lose and something to gain from continuing to charge to higher levels *if you're otherwise occupied.*

If you'd be waiting for the car to charge, then it's not worth doing, but take all the charge you can get while you're busy doing something else, in the hopes of avoiding having to wait for the car at another time.

I think a few of us may be saying the same thing in different ways. The car charges faster at lower levels, yes - but there's nothing to lose and something to gain from continuing to charge to higher levels *if you're otherwise occupied.*

If you'd be waiting for the car to charge, then it's not worth doing, but take all the charge you can get while you're busy doing something else, in the hopes of avoiding having to wait for the car at another time.
That's exactly how to do it, well put @Saghost

I did this once too. I just remembered at 1am that I still had it set to 100% and when I checked the app, it had just finished charging to 100%. Duh! So, I did what any Tesla nut would do. Got out of my PJs at 1am and drove the Tesla for 20-30 minutes to get the charge back close to 90% before heading back to bed.

Could you imagine the Police-Cam footage of a Tesla Owner being asked to complete a Sobriety Test in his PJs? 'cause you gotta be on something if the only reason why you're out driving is to use up stored energy!!

• Funny
Reactions: vandacca