Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge to 100%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
can you get any additional useful Info from the OBDII port? I have seen Bjorn using one with an app but not paid too much attention..
If so not a big investment given the stakes

From what I remember when Bjorn started using the app it wasn't as straight forward as plugging something in the OBDII port, there was something like a main fuse for the car that had to be disconnected first.

The app he used is called scan my tesla and it runs on android only(due to the dongle being android only).
Installation video is here

To get my car to turn off properly I had to turn off sentry mode, summon standby, and mobile access - is nothing which will keep it awake. I then waited until the interior light was off.

I think it was about 70 quid for the cable, 70 for the dongle (i'm sure you can get them cheaper, I just went for what they used on the videos) and about 20 for the software. The cable I got from ebay and the dongle from amazon.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Neilio
You can charge to less than 50% ... of course.... just stop it manually or use any number of API tools to schedule whatever. Simple timer on the charger would work too....

But honestly all this min/maxing is not required. You can set it to 90% and forget about it.

The final 10% is almost never required. Rule of thumb is, have enough to get to your nearest supercharger with 10% to spare.

I charge to 100% under 2 conditions:

1. Octopus agile is paying me
2. I'm going on a round trip and don't plan to charge till I get home

Reactions: Beady3647
The person who buys it off of you may not thankyou - it may even make your car pretty much unsellable.

The planet won't thank you either. Its attitudes like that thats contributed to the mess the planet is in in the first place.

By the time he sells it, trades it in, whatever, there will still be plenty of warranty left..... if I had a pound for the amount of times ive bought used sports/high power cars and been told that its been driven gently by the owner I could be in early retirement now... I dont dispute it. I just examine the car and if all is good, thats fine by me, its what the car was built for.... if I was buying a 1.2 fiesta with a body kit, big wheels etc and told the same, I would need my sanity tested if I bought it.

Lets not forget the OP's attitude helps economy growth and does good for the environment... He takes the depreciation hit and someone else gets to afford a cleaner/better car where as otherwise they wouldn't be able to afford it and thats how this vicious circle goes.

I could also say that in short I very much agree with your comment but there is also a flip side to that coin. As it stands, the world is still economy driven first. Don't blame the player...

The person who buys it off of you may not thankyou - it may even make your car pretty much unsellable.

The planet won't thank you either. Its attitudes like that thats contributed to the mess the planet is in in the first place.

A touch over the top reaction here! I can charge my car however I like..no idea what that’s got to do with the planet. There really is no measurable facts proving charging to 100 percent now and again is any worse than for example using super charging. For what it’s worth in the summer it’s solar generated from my own roof that charges the car so pretty sure I’m doing my part for the planet.

I doubt an occasional charge to 100% is going to have a huge impact on the battery as the car will still be relatively new. As others have pointed out it’s arguably more environmentally friendly to change EVs more frequently during the adoption phase as it’s helps another motorist onto the EV ladder

A touch over the top reaction here! I can charge my car however I like..no idea what that’s got to do with the planet. There really is no measurable facts proving charging to 100 percent now and again is any worse than for example using super charging. For what it’s worth in the summer it’s solar generated from my own roof that charges the car so pretty sure I’m doing my part for the planet.

Any charge over around 95% or so is wasted charge irrespective of where the energy comes from. Unless the grid is suffering from over supply at the time, the 5% of charge to 100% is best put back into the grid for everyone to benefit from. The 5% you didn't put into the car will be more than made up for in allowing the car to use regen, free energy that would be truly wasted if it wasn't used.

As you say, the odd 100% charge isn't likely to make any noticeable difference so long as it is not left in that state. Same is true for allowing the car to reach low SoC and not putting it quickly back on charge. But routinely topping up to 100% and/or keeping the car topped off at that level will inevitably lead to accelerated wear on the battery which is going to lead to someone losing out and potentially a battery/car being replaced sooner than would otherwise be necessary.

You don't need to worry about people abusing their battery packs affecting life on planet earth.
Tesla has outstanding battery management, our nearly 8 year old Model S was routinely charged to 100% and left for many hours due to the long winter drives my wife required for work when the supercharger network wasn't as robust as it is today, our car after literally hundreds and hundreds of full charges is 95% original capacity.

My Smart ED required 1/3 of the total inputs vs our Tesla Model S, maybe if you are so concerned, you might want to be advocating for people to drive smaller cars like my Smart eh? Less materials, less inputs, less carbon, less waste.

My Smart ED required 1/3 of the total inputs vs our Tesla Model S, maybe if you are so concerned, you might want to be advocating for people to drive smaller cars like my Smart eh? Less materials, less inputs, less carbon, less waste.

I owned a Smart car for just shy of 14 years. Its a vehicle that doesn't suit everyone's circumstances.

I charge to 90% when I charge for free (some malls) and only what I need when I charge at home. Usually around 50-60%. If I leave early in the morning when its cold, I charge a little even if I don't really need to. Just to warm the battery up.

How long did it take to get into the new mindset?

I gonna struggle to adapt but I'm sure I will, I'm so use to keeping the tank above a 1/4 just in case of an emergency (that rarely happens, but been a few times I've been glad to just jump in the car and know I have a couple hundred miles of fuel without having to worry).
Elon says it's fine to charge to 90% so I leave mine plugged in at home set at 90%. The manual says to leave the car plugged in if you can. I think that reduces the charge/discharge cycles.

The main difference in mindset is that with an ICE you tend to fill your tank and then use most of it and only think about re-filling when the car gives you a low fuel warning... with an EV it's all about frequent top ups ... keeping the battery within the mid and mid/upper percentages. (Not 100% as discussed above.) If you've got charging available at home it's easy to plug in so that you will always be ready to go the following day. We are working with smaller margins of range so just because you reckon your car only needs charging once a week, because you drive less than 200 miles in a normal week, that's unlikely to be the best idea. You can do that of course but it means that on a couple of days of the week you are driving around with little contingency for the unexpected longer trip. In full lockdown it was definitely feasible because you knew you weren't going anywhere! In real life stuff crops up so it's great to know that every morning you have a decent range available. Nobody enjoys driving around with buttocks clenched and constantly monitoring the battery percentage/range ... and so long as you charge regularly you never have that issue.

Reactions: Js1977