TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

charge to 100%?

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by mchen123, Feb 10, 2017.

1. mchen123

mchen123 Member

the day i picked up my model x, the guy told me not to charge the car to 100%. keep it around 90% or so. anyone know what is the science behind this?

2. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Welcome to the Forum, and we are delighted that you are here. This is a very basic question -- not that it isn't important, because it is -- but it is also one that has been asked and answered a thousand times, with a lot of discussion. To ask such a question without first using the search feature to find the answer will try the patience of what otherwise is a very helpful group.

• Like x 5
    • Love x 1
  3. Solarman004

Solarman004 Member

@mchen123 , keeping the battery at either a very high or very low state of charge degrades battery life. You can charge to 100% without problems if you are going to depart soon after on a long trip where you need the full charge.
    If you want the technical electro-chemical reason for this, which involves the buildup of molecular dendrites on the anodes and cathodes, do a search on this site for some great explanations.
    When you set your max charge on the charging screen, note that 90% is labeled as the upper end of the Daily Charge range. You can go lower if don't drive very far every day. I only charge to 70% unless I'm leaving on a trip.
    Welcome to the Tesla family!

• Like x 1
  4. mchen123

mchen123 Member

very good. thank you. i will try to use the search feature more as well.

5. gabeincal

gabeincal Enjoying Napa life the electric way

Wow. Fantastic, patient, political but also helpful response. Hats off!

• Like x 1