Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

charge to 100%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the day i picked up my model x, the guy told me not to charge the car to 100%. keep it around 90% or so. anyone know what is the science behind this?

Welcome to the Forum, and we are delighted that you are here. This is a very basic question -- not that it isn't important, because it is -- but it is also one that has been asked and answered a thousand times, with a lot of discussion. To ask such a question without first using the search feature to find the answer will try the patience of what otherwise is a very helpful group.

@mchen123 , keeping the battery at either a very high or very low state of charge degrades battery life. You can charge to 100% without problems if you are going to depart soon after on a long trip where you need the full charge.
If you want the technical electro-chemical reason for this, which involves the buildup of molecular dendrites on the anodes and cathodes, do a search on this site for some great explanations.
When you set your max charge on the charging screen, note that 90% is labeled as the upper end of the Daily Charge range. You can go lower if don't drive very far every day. I only charge to 70% unless I'm leaving on a trip.
Welcome to the Tesla family!

Reactions: goneskiian
Welcome to the Forum, and we are delighted that you are here. This is a very basic question -- not that it isn't important, because it is -- but it is also one that has been asked and answered a thousand times, with a lot of discussion. To ask such a question without first using the search feature to find the answer will try the patience of what otherwise is a very helpful group.

Wow. Fantastic, patient, political but also helpful response. Hats off!

Reactions: SpoolUp