Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge to 50% weekdays, 95% Friday & Saturday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For my work commute I recharge every night to 50% (in the interests of battery longevity, etc)

Saturday and Sunday I like a full akku for weekend road trips and unplanned journeys. So I reset my charge-to level on Fridays to 95% and back to 50% on Sunday evening.

Is there a way to pre-schedule this?

For my work commute I recharge every night to 50% (in the interests of battery longevity, etc)

Saturday and Sunday I like a full akku for weekend road trips and unplanned journeys. So I reset my charge-to level on Fridays to 95% and back to 50% on Sunday evening.

You could use an app like Stats.

Just set to 90% and leave it there. You and the car will be much happier.

You are trying to solve a problem that doesn't really exist.
While their are the battery longevity folks who proclaim 50%, not a single one will give you an estimate at how long the battery will last and what the differntial may be. Is it days or weeks longer life.

Listen to the folks who know and warranty the battery, the ones that don't give any recommendations except not to 100%

Theoretically, 50% is the best. Practically... it doesn't seem to matter all that much. I'd just do 80% daily if you're that worried about it, and increase it a bit before you leave on the weekend if you need more. I do 80% overnight, then up to 90% while I get ready in the morning during the winter. In the summer, I usually just go up to 80% every day. I do this all automatically through teslafi

Theoretically, 50% is the best. Practically... it doesn't seem to matter all that much. I'd just do 80% daily if you're that worried about it, and increase it a bit before you leave on the weekend if you need more. I do 80% overnight, then up to 90% while I get ready in the morning during the winter. In the summer, I usually just go up to 80% every day. I do this all automatically through teslafi

What's going to be the difference in longevity of the battery if you set it for 50% as opposed to 90%?

What's going to be the difference in longevity of the battery if you set it for 50% as opposed to 90%?

Unknown at this point, but if you took 2 batteries and left them at 90% or 50%, I guarantee the 50% one would degrade more slowly. Even Tesla tells you to set the battery to 50% for 'long-term storage' purposes.

The reason Tesla tells people to set it to 90% is because the BMS stays better calibrated at 90% than at 70% or lower. That way you get less people whining about 'lost range' of the battery.

If you're trying to say 90% is completely equivalent in terms of longevity, then I suggest you take that up with literally every single lithium ion battery expert out there. They all agree that higher SoC resting voltage is worse for batteries. The 'ideal' for longevity is 50%.

Reactions: holmgang
Unknown at this point, but if you took 2 batteries and left them at 90% or 50%, I guarantee the 50% one would degrade more slowly. Even Tesla tells you to set the battery to 50% for 'long-term storage' purposes.

The reason Tesla tells people to set it to 90% is because the BMS stays better calibrated at 90% than at 70% or lower. That way you get less people whining about 'lost range' of the battery.

If you're trying to say 90% is completely equivalent in terms of longevity, then I suggest you take that up with literally every single lithium ion battery expert out there. They all agree that higher SoC resting voltage is worse for batteries. The 'ideal' for longevity is 50%.

Ok, so, as an expert, you don't seem sure if it really even matters? It could be 10 miles or 10,000 miles.
That really doesn't tend to instill a lot of confidence.
You could be recommending something to users that won't impact their car for over 10 years and then only reduces the lifetime by a month.
Is it really worth it to scare people that much?
Especially when Tesla has a obviously specific effort NOT to give any additional guidance to owners?

I'm not a battery chemist, but in your day to day life, probably not much. Maybe 10 miles over 100k miles? It's a total guess. Would that be worth you fiddling with charge rate every day? Maybe :)

Tesla owner becomes first to push Model 3 to 100,000 miles, here's how it's doing - Electrek This guy is over 100k miles and almost exclusively supercharges (bad) to really high % (bad) and his battery is fine.

Just set to 90% and leave it there. You and the car will be much happier.

You are trying to solve a problem that doesn't really exist.
While their are the battery longevity folks who proclaim 50%, not a single one will give you an estimate at how long the battery will last and what the differntial may be. Is it days or weeks longer life.

Listen to the folks who know and warranty the battery, the ones that don't give any recommendations except not to 100%
Yea I said the same thing until I started using Stats, now I use stats and tesla remote (ios)
Highly recommend it.

Yea I said the same thing until I started using Stats, now I use stats and tesla remote (ios)
Highly recommend it.
Why would stats change your mind? Are you talking about Max charge graphs that steadily decline and freak people out, but are indeed just showing batteries that BMS hasn't been able to run on?

I wish Tesla would add the phrase to the manual, "Don't worry about the battery, we are doing that for you"

Every single app graph that people post show that their battery degradation is going to be 100% in less than a year. But it never happens.

The apps are just a higher-tech version of range anxiety.

As someone who has driven the OMG Leaf 2015 battery is terrible for over 3 years with 97% of max range. My 2018 Leaf with max range, and my 2018 Model 3, still with max range, the state of my battery is the last thing that I worry about. (Until I read all of these gloom and doom posts)
Batteries, from ALL manufacturers before 2015 had some issues. Tesla has replaced a number of them and everyone changed their chemistries after that. Severe degradation tends to be a thing of the past. 99% of the posts on this forum are paranoia. I refer to them as "whomp a mole" Someone gets an app or calculates their range, posts with "My battery is dying" and then understands the reality that they aren't seeing reality, only what the car is reporting, which changes with software releases.

Ok, so, as an expert, you don't seem sure if it really even matters? It could be 10 miles or 10,000 miles.
That really doesn't tend to instill a lot of confidence.
You could be recommending something to users that won't impact their car for over 10 years and then only reduces the lifetime by a month.
Is it really worth it to scare people that much?
Especially when Tesla has a obviously specific effort NOT to give any additional guidance to owners?

I'm not scaring people. I never implied it would destroy your battery if you leave it at 90%. I'm just saying that if you have a choice, you want to have the car discharge around the 50% point, period. Even Elon has stated this as such. For some folks with short commutes, there's literally no reason to keep your battery charged up to 90% if you only discharge it to 80% on a round-trip to home. I'm one of those people. I use maybe 15% charge on a daily drive. What do I charge to? 70%. Plenty of buffer. Plus, if I need to go somewhere, I just charge it to 90% overnight and leave it there before that trip.

Just fully charge (90%) everyday like you do with your phone.
You never know in advance if one day you might have an emergency and will have to make a detour to a Supercharger.

Reactions: TheOtherPete
Why would stats change your mind? Are you talking about Max charge graphs that steadily decline and freak people out, but are indeed just showing batteries that BMS hasn't been able to run on?

I didn't think I needed anything other than the Tesla app and then I tried them and it changed my mind. The apps fill a void with a wealth of knowledge I didn't even think I needed.

I didn't think I needed anything other than the Tesla app and then I tried them and it changed my mind. The apps fill a void with a wealth of knowledge I didn't even think I needed.

And what "need" is it fulfilling? Aside from just providing fodder to make you worry more? Does your car drive better with the info? Does it get better range? Does it go faster?

Or does it just feed the range anxiety?

People drive ICE all the time without worrying about a mile by mile efficiency of the engine. And yes, they do vary like an EV does. But no one cares. If the car can get you from point A to B, what does it really matter?

On a 311 mile car, if my max charge starts being around 250 miles, then I know it's time to talk to Tesla.

Otherwise, all of the details that the apps are given are based on guesses. That's what the car is feeding the app, guesses. There is no such thing as Max Charge. For example, a LR Model 3 can go 600+ miles. Is 600 miles the "Max Charge" then?

• Disagree
Reactions: electrongeek
I'm not scaring people. I never implied it would destroy your battery if you leave it at 90%. I'm just saying that if you have a choice, you want to have the car discharge around the 50% point, period. Even Elon has stated this as such. For some folks with short commutes, there's literally no reason to keep your battery charged up to 90% if you only discharge it to 80% on a round-trip to home. I'm one of those people. I use maybe 15% charge on a daily drive. What do I charge to? 70%. Plenty of buffer. Plus, if I need to go somewhere, I just charge it to 90% overnight and leave it there before that trip.

Whether you realize it or not, suggesting 50% does scare people. There are many people who post about which number that they should use, because they are scared they will hurt the battery.

And then there is basically no information that backs up exactly how much total mileage will be saved by only charging to 50%. Are you charging to 50% to get an extra 10 miles on a battery that's going to last 300,000 miles?

Reactions: TheOtherPete