Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge to 80% keeps declining, 249-248-245

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like big Earl said, it's because you charging to 80%. Charging to 90 appears to really slowdown this effect. I guess that's why Elon suggested it. If you want to it drop faster charge to 70 or 60 max.

To fix the issue charge to 100 or really close and let it go down low. Do this 2-3 times then charge to 90 . Should go back.

But for 1-3 miles, it's not worth the trouble.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
Like big Earl said, it's because you charging to 80%. Charging to 90 appears to really slowdown this effect. I guess that's why Elon suggested it. If you want to it drop faster charge to 70 or 60 max.

To fix the issue charge to 100 or really close and let it go down low. Do this 2-3 times then charge to 90 . Should go back.

But for 1-3 miles, it's not worth the trouble.

Thanks! Are you saying I should charge to 90% in general even after it goes back to normal? My sales agent said to plug it every day to 80%, but he was wrong about a lot of things, so I’m all open to hear best charging methods from you guys lol.

Your batteries are fine, it's just the software being unable to calculate capacity properly because the recharge range is only hitting 80%. People have the same problem when charging to 70% and never going above.

The best way to fix this is to charge to 70 or 80% for weekday trips (where you don't need any additional range) and for weekends, charge it to something like 93% prior to going out. That way the software can more accurately calculate capacity and you don't stress the cells unnecessarily.

• Helpful
Reactions: Leafdriver333
Your batteries are fine, it's just the software being unable to calculate capacity properly because the recharge range is only hitting 80%. People have the same problem when charging to 70% and never going above.

The best way to fix this is to charge to 70 or 80% for weekday trips (where you don't need any additional range) and for weekends, charge it to something like 93% prior to going out. That way the software can more accurately calculate capacity and you don't stress the cells unnecessarily.

Ok perfect haha, that makes me feel better. I appreciate it.

My schedule is to charge to 90% weekdays, timed to complete just before I drive to work. Car sits for 8 hours at about 80%, then drive home where the car sits at 70% for 14-15 hours and then charges.

This gives the benefit of a warm battery in the morning and the car is sitting at a lower state of charge most of the day while still hitting 90% charge to help keep the battery calibrated. I generally don't change on the weekends unless I am driving some significant distance, so I get a little deeper discharge (maybe 50%) every now and then. I also try to get a 95-100% charge on occasion, roughy every few months.

Car is 4 years old with 30,000 miles and the battery has had zero loss (still 265 miles at 100%)

I have had the range drop a bit temporarily after leaving it parked at 50% for weeks at a time. Took a few weeks of routine to recover the range.

Recharging small amounts a day can cause the accuracy to go down. I "lost" over 10 miles at some point. Letting battery drop down to 30-40% then charge up to 90% a few times fixed it for me. I always charge to 90% now, but I have a short commute so I usually don't plug it in every day. Just once every few days, so that when it does charge it is charging for a longer period of time.

I charge my car to 80% and when I first got it, it would say 249 miles range when charge complete. It dropped to 248 last week. Today its at 245. I got the car March 27 and never charged it past 80%.

Is there a simple solution to this?

Thanks

Keep in mind that the actual range is not changing just the estimated range. It will reset when you charge up for a trip.