Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge-Up NJ rebate program Phase 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been trying to get answers from chargeup energy by emailing them from their website.

Here are my responses from them:

Thank you for your email. A vehicle ordered today would be eligible to receive the incentive. However, incentive funding is subject to availability at the time of delivery. There is no reservation process for funding for vehicles with a long delivery timeline. Incentives are given at a first-come, first-served basis.

Asked about the meaning of "reserved"

The current dashboard reflects issued, reserved (with incentive application submitted by the dealership) and ordered vehicles (applications not yet submitted by a participating dealership). We cannot advise you regarding the status of your order or what actions to take, however the current dashboard reflects issued, reserved and ordered vehicles.

And their last response:

Incentive funding is only fully reserved and allocated to an eligible vehicle after the dealership submitted the complete application. Dealership must submit applications within 14 days of the completed vehicle transaction, which is after the vehicle has been delivered.

They do reply promptly....if not very informative.

Ok I think.. I get it then. Thanks for checking on that and getting the details. Looks like somewhere somehow in the allowable funding my 2k is in there. Will it still be there by the time I take delivery in late October is the bigger question. I honestly have a hard time believing it wouldn't be there considering the long delays on basically every single car out there currently. Unless everyone is running out to buy bolts that are currently on lots all at once. :D

It seems like the whole Tesla order process is messing things up with the Charge Up program. It probably should be done on a first-come first-serve basis, when you actually take delivery. They made it too difficult on themselves and confusing for Tesla customers (and Tesla SA is seems). And it would probably all work out in our favor for early orders.

I think you should all assume you're NOT going to get the rebate and proceed accordingly. I hope you realize that even if you were to meet all of the (confusing) guidelines, the State could STILL say you're SOL due to funding. This isn't an entitlement. The good news is, you don't have to pay the sales tax, which in and of itself is a pretty big chunk of change.

Maybe I'm reading all of that wrong (very possible) but the "Vehicles ordered, purchased or leased will not be eligible after 9pm" part kind of sounds like as long as you placed an order you'll get the rebate?

"Vehicles ordered, purchased, or leased after 9 p.m. ET on September 15, 2021 and before the official re-opening of the program will not be eligible for an incentive."

I think the bolded part is also relevant. I.e., you need to have ordered before 9PM on Sep 15 but also not purchase in the timeframe between 9/15 and the official re-opening of the program. So, as long as you have already ordered and you can delay delivery until after the re-opening (if there is one), then you might be eligible. That's just my interpretation though.

I think you should all assume you're NOT going to get the rebate and proceed accordingly. I hope you realize that even if you were to meet all of the (confusing) guidelines, the State could STILL say you're SOL due to funding. This isn't an entitlement. The good news is, you don't have to pay the sales tax, which in and of itself is a pretty big chunk of change.
That's almost exactly what my Tesla SA said when I spoke to him. For M3 SR+ buyers it's 5k so it's not that easy to overlook.

I am the same boat as MrWhiskers, ordered on July 22nd and EDD is mid late October. I am hoping with all the LFP order fulfillment my NCA order would move to a sooner date, maybe I am too optimistic. One other option besides delaying the purchase is go ahead with the purchase and forgo the incentive. With today's used car prices if I turn around and sell it immediately I may make a small profit.

"Vehicles ordered, purchased, or leased after 9 p.m. ET on September 15, 2021 and before the official re-opening of the program will not be eligible for an incentive."

I think the bolded part is also relevant. I.e., you need to have ordered before 9PM on Sep 15 but also not purchase in the timeframe between 9/15 and the official re-opening of the program. So, as long as you have already ordered and you can delay delivery until after the re-opening (if there is one), then you might be eligible. That's just my interpretation though.
My reading of that is very different. Although it’s poorly worded so who knows. I think it means you had to have ordered after July 6, 2021 and before Sep 15, 2021 by 9pm to qualify. People that ordered before July 6 when the program reopened after being shut down last year when funding ran out are NOT eligible. That’s how I feel it’s meant to be take . There has been no mention, that I’m aware of, that the program will definitely continue at some point in the future. It’s likely but not official.

Reactions: YoPlaid
That's almost exactly what my Tesla SA said when I spoke to him. For M3 SR+ buyers it's 5k so it's not that easy to overlook.

I am the same boat as MrWhiskers, ordered on July 22nd and EDD is mid late October. I am hoping with all the LFP order fulfillment my NCA order would move to a sooner date, maybe I am too optimistic. One other option besides delaying the purchase is go ahead with the purchase and forgo the incentive. With today's used car prices if I turn around and sell it immediately I may make a small profit.
So do you not really want the car? Why would you turn around and sell it if you don't get the rebate?

I feel like next year's rebate could be very different with the potential federal rebate too. They may decide to put even more restrictions or offer less for each sale since the federal rebate would probably be rather large.

What do I know though.

@mister_two I'm glad to know of another in my same situation. Feels good to not be the only one! Misery loves company and all that. Maybe we'll get lucky and it will get here earlier in October (doubtful) 🙃

I just got an email response from Charge Up program. They say a VIN is not needed, but dealerships have until Oct 15 to submit the application or the incentive will be forfeited.
Thank you for your email. Given the overwhelming popularity of the Charge Up New Jersey Program, the rate of application approvals, and the number of eligible vehicle orders in New Jersey, the majority of Fiscal Year 2022 Program funding is projected to be allocated by September 15, 2021. To ensure funding will be available to New Jersey residents who meet Program criteria who waited for the Program to open and relied upon receiving the incentive offered through the Program for the purchase of their vehicle, NJBPU announced the deadline to purchase, lease, or order an eligible vehicle as Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 9:00 p.m. ET.

Eligible New Jersey residents with eligible vehicles ordered between July 6, 2021 and 9 p.m. ET on September 15, 2021 that that will not be delivered before September 29, 2021, have the opportunity to have their incentive reserved through their dealership and then applied at the point-of-sale once the vehicle is delivered, even if the ordered vehicle does not yet have a VIN.

Dealerships are responsible for contacting the Charge Up New Jersey Program Administrator, the Center for Sustainable Energy (CSE), via the
[email protected] email address in order to reserve funding for vehicles that have been ordered, but not yet delivered. Dealerships will have until October 15, 2021 to submit incentive applications for eligible vehicles. Failure to submit an application and all required documentation by the October 15, 2021 deadline will result in forfeiture of the incentive for the ordered vehicle.

Spoke with support yesterday. I put my deposit down on 7/7 - the day after the program opened - and just scheduled to pick the car up on 9/25. Support told me that Tesla has worked to clarify their unique process with New Jersey and that my deposit counts as an order. Essentially the state of New Jersey is counting me in the number of people expected to receive the $5K incentive. So even though I won't finalize the purchase of my model 3 until 9/25, Tesla has assured me that I will receive the $5K credit.

From my SA in Cherry Hill:
We’re all amazed how quickly the rebate disappeared. Unfortunately there’s no way to receive it until you have an actual VIN / car matched to your order. You did order before the program’s end date (today), and Tesla has until 10/15 to apply for your rebate if you’re matched to a vehicle – we’ll just need to wait and see.
This doesn't track with what KtotheOC got as far as info, but I think it's safe to assume it's all "wait and see" right now. I can only imagine that everyone who put an order in, got placed on the list to get the rebate. Just a matter of tesla doing the paper work. My order right now shows the rebate still part of the price. So...
wait and see...
As Petty once said...
"The waiting is the hardest part."

From my SA in Cherry Hill:

This doesn't track with what KtotheOC got as far as info, but I think it's safe to assume it's all "wait and see" right now. I can only imagine that everyone who put an order in, got placed on the list to get the rebate. Just a matter of tesla doing the paper work. My order right now shows the rebate still part of the price. So...
wait and see...
As Petty once said...
"The waiting is the hardest part."

I think @KtotheOC post was regarding a response from the chargeup people in charge of the program. Kind of sounds like we need to tell Tesla that they are ok with submitting the application even if no VIN is attached yet. As always with this program the communication could be way better here... Thinking about stopping by the princeton location because phone calls don't really seem to get me anywhere.