Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge-Up NJ rebate program Phase 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is a great deal. I don't agree the Mach E looks better, but I bet it at least has Apple Car Play and a standard analog input and USB input allowing high res audio. Likely also permits the use of AM radio. Can't understand why Tesla eschews these basic standards.

Does it have a HUD or BSM mirrors?

I am thinking of getting the Ford Mache over Tesla model 3. The Mach e looks so much nicer than the Tesla. According to Ford dealer they have federal incentives plus he told me in June they will have 7500 back from NJ. He told me it’s not going to be a rebate but money off automatically
The looks are certainly an opinion either way, personally not a fan of crossover look of the Mach E or the MY. Be cautious that they aren’t just marking up the car $5k and giving you a made up rebate. Not sure how they would offer you the rebate if the state hasn’t rolled it out to any other dealer yet. The charge up site seems pretty adamant on nothing before July, so just make sure they don’t screw it up for you.

Tesla sells cars in an entirely different way than traditional car companies (which use dealerships). I would be very wary of anything a salesperson from any (non-tesla) dealership would say about the program given the state did not issue any press release or anything on the program at all yet (I am watching this like a hawk).

That being said I think it would be a brutally poor decision from the state not to make it retroactive at least to mid "junish". Why? All car companies (that actually have cars to deliver) are public and hence have high pressure to nail each quarter's sales objectives. If everybody waits until July 1st to buy as a result of the rebate timing that hurt Q2 sales and put higher pressure on orders in Q3 causing all sorts of headaches. 5K is a decent chunk of cash compared to Cal's 1.5k for instance. At least for me it's large enough to hold. For 1.5k I would definitely not wait. 5K is a full wrap.

What I suspect may happen is since it's POS rebate instead of a check, at some point Tesla/the dealerships will know how it will be implemented and they may have some maneuvering room around the funding that may allow them to apply the rebate before July 1st. If my memory is correct, there is 30M/year of rebate which gives about 6000 cars eligible (if all get the max rebate). In 2020, it took 11 months to sell that many cars in NJ. I would guess it would take less time in 2021 since more people are aware of the program AND some cars are already pre-approved but weren't paid due to funds running out.

About 90%+ of all US EV sales are tesla. Porsche and higher-end Telsa are not eligible. Tesla can entirely assume they will sell enough EVs from June 2021 to June 2022 to get the max rebate allocation they would be entitled so they totally can shuffle the rebate to increase sales in Q2 and reduce Q3 NJ order crunch. However, I don't think all other car companies are that much flexibility. If Tesla can afford to offer an early rebate in NJ, other dealers may reduce their fake price tags by the 5K and pretend they gave you the rebate in order to avoid losing sales.

All that depends on the conditions the state will offer/impose on the dealers to pass the rebate over to their customers. The chargeup NJ page is crystal clear on the 2021 rebate:

Which date will my purchase or lease agreement need to start on to be eligible for the point- of-sale program?
Vehicles purchased or leased on or after
July 1, 2021 will be eligible for the point-of-sale incentive through participating dealerships. Please continue to check our website for further updates.

As written I believe that Tesla orders before July 1st but delivered after would be eligible since the order agreement contract is worded so that it's a commitment to buy a vehicle as opposed to buying it with a downpayment.

Reactions: rjpjnk and Matt35
Tesla sells cars in an entirely different way than traditional car companies (which use dealerships). I would be very wary of anything a salesperson from any (non-tesla) dealership would say about the program given the state did not issue any press release or anything on the program at all yet (I am watching this like a hawk).

That being said I think it would be a brutally poor decision from the state not to make it retroactive at least to mid "junish". Why? All car companies (that actually have cars to deliver) are public and hence have high pressure to nail each quarter's sales objectives. If everybody waits until July 1st to buy as a result of the rebate timing that hurt Q2 sales and put higher pressure on orders in Q3 causing all sorts of headaches. 5K is a decent chunk of cash compared to Cal's 1.5k for instance. At least for me it's large enough to hold. For 1.5k I would definitely not wait. 5K is a full wrap.

What I suspect may happen is since it's POS rebate instead of a check, at some point Tesla/the dealerships will know how it will be implemented and they may have some maneuvering room around the funding that may allow them to apply the rebate before July 1st. If my memory is correct, there is 30M/year of rebate which gives about 6000 cars eligible (if all get the max rebate). In 2020, it took 11 months to sell that many cars in NJ. I would guess it would take less time in 2021 since more people are aware of the program AND some cars are already pre-approved but weren't paid due to funds running out.

About 90%+ of all US EV sales are tesla. Porsche and higher-end Telsa are not eligible. Tesla can entirely assume they will sell enough EVs from June 2021 to June 2022 to get the max rebate allocation they would be entitled so they totally can shuffle the rebate to increase sales in Q2 and reduce Q3 NJ order crunch. However, I don't think all other car companies are that much flexibility. If Tesla can afford to offer an early rebate in NJ, other dealers may reduce their fake price tags by the 5K and pretend they gave you the rebate in order to avoid losing sales.

All that depends on the conditions the state will offer/impose on the dealers to pass the rebate over to their customers. The chargeup NJ page is crystal clear on the 2021 rebate:

Which date will my purchase or lease agreement need to start on to be eligible for the point- of-sale program?
July 1, 2021 will be eligible for the point-of-sale incentive through participating dealerships. Please continue to check our website for further updates.

As written I believe that Tesla orders before July 1st but delivered after would be eligible since the order agreement contract is worded so that it's a commitment to buy a vehicle as opposed to buying it with a downpayment.
Agreed and some good ideas here. My service advisor put my order on hold to May 1 for now. She made it sound like they were hoping to have details by then. I am sure they are going to want to push through the orders as soon as possible, versus dealing with an abnormally pressed Q3 and maybe Q4. $5K is a lot of money to me. Just because I can afford the car, doesn't mean I don't want to save ~10% since I am flexible on timing. Hopefully the dealers get the details soon so they can figure out best offerings to customers.

I was just looking at the BPU website and next board meeting is April 27th. Agenda is published at least 48 hrs before. Probably won't be any news until then but I doubt there aren't any talks between Tesla NJ and the state. I was planning to place my order may 1st at the latest. May do it before.

I was just looking at the BPU website and next board meeting is April 27th. Agenda is published at least 48 hrs before. Probably won't be any news until then but I doubt there aren't any talks between Tesla NJ and the state. I was planning to place my order may 1st at the latest. May do it before.
i would imagine if you ordered today or early May your car is going to probably be produced in the same window of time and your delivery day would be similar either way. You might risk losing $100 if you find out that the order would need to be placed again after July 1 (I am in this boat as I figured we might see rising prices due to tease of possible federal programs). Again, it's all a crap shoot. But I figured I won't be upset burning $100 if I need to reorder to save $5k, and a $100 gamble is worthwhile if it could mean getting my car a few months earlier versus waiting for Q3 production.

i would imagine if you ordered today or early May your car is going to probably be produced in the same window of time and your delivery day would be similar either way. You might risk losing $100 if you find out that the order would need to be placed again after July 1 (I am in this boat as I figured we might see rising prices due to tease of possible federal programs). Again, it's all a crap shoot. But I figured I won't be upset burning $100 if I need to reorder to save $5k, and a $100 gamble is worthwhile if it could mean getting my car a few months earlier versus waiting for Q3 production.
I thought of doing that but reading the order agreement, there is a risk the burn is also a "failed delivery" if the car makes it to your SC and they need to ship it elsewhere because its ready too quickly. Page 1, 4th item of the agreement https://www.tesla.com/order/download-order-agreement?redirect=no&country=US&model_code=m3

I thought of doing that but reading the order agreement, there is a risk the burn is also a "failed delivery" if the car makes it to your SC and they need to ship it elsewhere because its ready too quickly. Page 1, 4th item of the agreement https://www.tesla.com/order/download-order-agreement?redirect=no&country=US&model_code=m3
Yes, I think this is why my service advisor also said to not select a payment choice yet, but I’m not sure. She’s clear on what we are trying to do, so I am trying to have some faith and trust they know how to handle.

The chargeup NJ page is crystal clear on the 2021 rebate:

Thanks for posting this update sroy!

I did not notice that the Charge-Up NJ site changed recently to include this announcement. Finally, a very clear statement regarding eligibility.

This is Great News!

So after some consideration, I placed the order for the MY LR on April 10th. Although I really was dead set on waiting for the rebate, I tooken to consideration a few things that ultimately led me to decide on order now and even possibly forgoing the rebate.

1) Tesla raised the price. With the options I chose (white interior, tow hitch and induction wheels) it puts me over the $55,000 cap to qualify for the rebate. I think I'd have to take off two of the options to make the cap. That doesn't even include FSD that I was originally going to buy.

2) My feeling is prices are going to go up again due to demand and price of materials as well as preparing for the rebates as Tesla did last time.

3) I think lead time for the car is going to increase because the demand is not slowing down. Although I have a fine working car now, I really don't want to wait 3 months to get the car.

Ultimately, when you factor in the price increase as well as possible further price increases, cost of getting the options afterwards becoming more expensive (tow hitch is cheaper if bought included in original order) and time it takes for delivery, the 5K rebate doesn't seem as enticing at all. At the end of the day, the rebate could easily be trimmed down to 2k or 3k when you take everything into consideration which then doesn't become worth it to me.

I'm still playing everything by ear right now but if I get a delivery date sooner than later I will probably end up foregoing the rebate and just getting the car.

On another note, does anybody want to share their referral link with me?

Reactions: Mr_Bob and Matt35
So after some consideration, I placed the order for the MY LR on April 10th. Although I really was dead set on waiting for the rebate, I tooken to consideration a few things that ultimately led me to decide on order now and even possibly forgoing the rebate.

1) Tesla raised the price. With the options I chose (white interior, tow hitch and induction wheels) it puts me over the $55,000 cap to qualify for the rebate. I think I'd have to take off two of the options to make the cap. That doesn't even include FSD that I was originally going to buy.

2) My feeling is prices are going to go up again due to demand and price of materials as well as preparing for the rebates as Tesla did last time.

3) I think lead time for the car is going to increase because the demand is not slowing down. Although I have a fine working car now, I really don't want to wait 3 months to get the car.

Ultimately, when you factor in the price increase as well as possible further price increases, cost of getting the options afterwards becoming more expensive (tow hitch is cheaper if bought included in original order) and time it takes for delivery, the 5K rebate doesn't seem as enticing at all. At the end of the day, the rebate could easily be trimmed down to 2k or 3k when you take everything into consideration which then doesn't become worth it to me.

I'm still playing everything by ear right now but if I get a delivery date sooner than later I will probably end up foregoing the rebate and just getting the car.

On another note, does anybody want to share their referral link with me?
sent you my code. I agree to these points. I figured it might be a $100 price protection gamble. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to lower the MSRP cap further to allocate more funds for more affordable models and lower income shoppers to help drive EV conversion (NJ program and/or the federal programs being proposed). But it's all a guess at this point

Last edited:
Reactions: DigitalD
I was wondering myself if Tesla's recent 500.00 increase to the Model Y was directed specifically at moving the base price just over the 50K mark so it would not be eligible for future rebates, which may include a lowered 50K threshold.

I was wondering myself if Tesla's recent 500.00 increase to the Model Y was directed specifically at moving the base price just over the 50K mark so it would not be eligible for future rebates, which may include a lowered 50K threshold.
I don't think they would go out of their way to be excluded, but I would imagine the recent $500 increases are to help offset rising costs. I wouldn't be surprised to see more increases trickle in to cover "rising costs" that also gives profit cushion that will be easier for consumers to swallow if the rebate comes. then if it doesn't come, Tesla could always drop price down if needed but that seems unnecessary until demand is lower than production.

(I placed an order for model 3) It's possible that Telsa may think people eyeing a Y rather than a 3 are less susceptible to be influenced by the 5K rebate and so could gamble getting fewer 3 sales in Q2 but trading with more/normal Y sales. i.e. I am waiting until July 1st to take delivery to get the rebate but if I knew I couldn't get it at all, I would want to get the car ASAP. I can afford without the 5K but it's large enough to navigate getting it.

FWIW, my brother bought an M3 a few years back and Tesla purposefully delayed the delivery by a full 2 weeks so that buyers in his area could benefit the government funding.

That’s pretty much exactly where I am. My wife and I have an older car that’s starting to show signs of a transmission issue. We wanted to wait until we would assuredly get the 5K off because why leave 5K on the table, but sometimes needs must. Right now the predicted delivery window is May 29 through June 18 (delivery to Springfield off 22 - LR MS with tow hitch) so definitely outside the range of getting the rebate. It stinks but I am more than happy to get an amazing modern vehicle a little sooner than drop several thousand dollars into a car that is barely worth $1000.

Also, we didn’t realize until after ordering that electric vehicles are exempt from sales tax so that was already a very pleasant surprise :cool:!

Last edited:
I talked to a Tesla sales rep today from Princeton and he kept telling me that if my order date isnt on or after july 1st, then I wont be getting the phase 2 rebate. However I dont think he really knows that for sure, seemed like he was just trying to talk me out of delaying my early May delivery date. He later said that all they know is whatever is on the charge up homepage. Time will tell I guess. The wait is just killing me, I really hope they go by purchase date and not order date.