Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge-Up NJ rebate program Phase 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings all,

I am in NJ and waiting for Phase 2 of the Charge-Up New Jersey rebate program to begin. All indications I see are that it will resume in July 2021.

The program specifically states it WILL NOT apply to any vehicle purchased between the end of Phase 1 (Dec 15, 2020) and the time Phase 2 starts up (July 2021).

I was wondering if in this case "purchased" means actually taking delivery or just placing the order. That is, can I order it now and delay delivery until the NJ rebate is turned back on in order to qualify?
If you live in NJ and are waiting for Phase 2 of the NJ Charge Up program, please pay attention. The NJ BPU is considering significant changes to the program which would CAP the incentive at $2,000 for BEV's with an MSRP greater than $45,000 and less than $55,000. BEV's with and MSRP less than $45,000 would be eligible for the $5,000 incentive.

You can submit your comments to the NJ BPU. Please see this link for additional info:

https://www.nj.gov/bpu/pdf/publicnotice/EV FY22 Charge Up NJ Program Straw Proposal.pdf

There are proposed changes to the home charger incentive that would reduce the $500 incentive by 50%. I sent my comments urging the Board to NOT CAP the incentive and continue Phase Two of the program same as Phase One.

There is mention that 83% of the incentives paid in Phase One went to Tesla owners. Please send your comments to the BPU before 5/26/2021

Greetings all,

I am in NJ and waiting for Phase 2 of the Charge-Up New Jersey rebate program to begin. All indications I see are that it will resume in July 2021.

The program specifically states it WILL NOT apply to any vehicle purchased between the end of Phase 1 (Dec 15, 2020) and the time Phase 2 starts up (July 2021).

I was wondering if in this case "purchased" means actually taking delivery or just placing the order. That is, can I order it now and delay delivery until the NJ rebate is turned back on in order to qualify?
If you live in NJ and are waiting for Phase 2 of the NJ Charge Up program, please pay attention. The NJ BPU is considering significant changes to the program which would CAP the incentive at $2,000 for BEV's with an MSRP greater than $45,000 and less than $55,000. BEV's with and MSRP less than $45,000 would be eligible for the $5,000 incentive.

You can submit your comments to the NJ BPU. Please see this link for additional info:

https://www.nj.gov/bpu/pdf/publicnotice/EV FY22 Charge Up NJ Program Straw Proposal.pdf

There are proposed changes to the home charger incentive that would reduce the $500 incentive by 50%. I sent my comments urging the Board to NOT CAP the incentive and continue Phase Two of the program same as Phase One.

There is mention that 83% of the incentives paid in Phase One went to Tesla owners. Please send your comments to the BPU before 5/26/2021

I just got confirmation that my comments were accepted for the meeting.
6E3ED7BC-CFB8-410C-83FA-103FC3A6ECFF.jpeg

I wrote :

The $45,000 price limit will not really help/motivate EV adoption.
The $45k limit goes in favor of a very smalls EV versions( which are not practical for most families) and seems biased, even Mach E model on lot exceeds $45K.

A decent EV ( range ~ 250 miles) costs about 60K so I want the price limits pushed up.

Without an increased limit of the full $5000 till at least $60K limit, I can’t make the decision to afford a proper EV.

I won’t spend $40,000( with rebate) just to get a bare minimum EV. whose gas equivalent costs less than $20,000.

Let's see if they reply

Reactions: rjpjnk
I emailed this:

Dear stakeholders:

I've reviewed the proposal, specifically in reference to B. Potential Modifications to the Existing Charge Up New Jersey Incentive Structure with modification of the proposed vehicle incentive of 2K$ for All BEVs with an MSRP between $45,000 and $55,000.

I am NOT in favor of this proposed modification. This modification severly limits the options, especially for SUVs over sedans. SUVs in general have a higher MSRP cost than sedans given the same brand/ make, etc. due to the material cost base on size, etc. More specifically, this limits the choices to only a base /lower end model of a car whether it's a Tesla, Volkswagen ID4 or Ford Mach E, etc. Given the proposed modification is forcing customers to choose a basic sedan rather than a luxury SUV in order to receive the full 5K$ vehicle incentive. Most if not all of the cars under the 45K$ MSRP are not considered "luxury" brands and have low range so therefore not desirable from a consumer perspective.

If the proposed EV vehicle incentive passes I will personally not purchase an EV and will remain my interest in a ICE luxury SUV since the incentive is not attractive enough for me to switch.

Thank you,

If you don't forward your comments in word or PDF form to Secretary, BPUBoard (BPU) <[email protected]>, then you are wasting your time.

The formal process needs to be followed to get the comments considered. Please make sure your efforts aren't wasted.
Good point! I thought the letters posted above were copies of same sent to BPU, but perhaps not.

It does no good to post here. Please send these same letters to the official address provided above.

If everybody in this thread does so we may sway the opinion in our favor. Even a simple one sentence reply opposing the 45k limit due to lack of car choices available should suffice. Perhaps someone who feels up to it could draft a generic letter that hits all the right points as a sample for all to use.

I suggest not mentioning Tesla or luxury. 🤑🤑

Besides there is another important point to make: The price tag of the mache, M3, MY, etc in that price range factor in the fact that you don't have to pay the ~1000$+ of upkeep per year. So over a 3-5+ years period of ownership, it compares to a camry rather than a BMW. It's not a luxury car in that sense. It front loads the cost of ownership compared to a 40kish ICE equivalent.

Tesla sales just called me because I scheduled a test drive and he was telling me how the NJ incentive is returning in July. I asked him if he knew how much he said $5k... I told him that is not accurate and actually emailed him the link to the meeting and the document showing the proposed changes. He said they literally had an internal meeting this morning and no one knew about any of this. He is forwarding it internally. Sad that we knew before they did.

Tesla sales just called me because I scheduled a test drive and he was telling me how the NJ incentive is returning in July. I asked him if he knew how much he said $5k... I told him that is not accurate and actually emailed him the link to the meeting and the document showing the proposed changes. He said they literally had an internal meeting this morning and no one knew about any of this. He is forwarding it internally. Sad that we knew before they did.
Why? Most of us assumed the same until the message started floating around yesterday that referenced the $2k. And the Charge Up NJ website still references up to $5, based on range, not MSRP.

Great. Maybe they can have some say on a policy that is specifically trying to exclude Tesla buyers. 😢

Did you ask about placing an order before July 1?

Great. Maybe they can have some say on a policy that is specifically trying to exclude Tesla buyers. 😢

Did you ask about placing an order before July 1?
I did since I currently have a Y on order with a delivery date of June 13-27th. He said that Tesla give you 3 days to pick up the car and if you are unable to, the car can be sold and I would be placed into the next batch with priority.

I also asked him if the order date would limit me from getting the incentive, he said thats not really an issue since he can create a new order and just move my VIN # to the new order. I would just have to pay another $100 for the order fee. I am now hoping that they make my delivery date June 28th so I can get it July 1st.

interestingly my delivery date earlier this week was set for June 13- 28th and as of yesterday its showing June 13-27th. . I wonder if they moved it to the 27th to ensure pickup prior to Q2. slick move on their end... hopefully no one in NJ snatches my car lol. no VIN # assigned as of now.

I also asked him if the order date would limit me from getting the incentive, he said thats not really an issue since he can create a new order and just move my VIN # to the new order. I would just have to pay another $100 for the order fee. I am now hoping that they make my delivery date June 28th so I can get it July 1st.
My understanding is that this would also come with the price increase.

Even though I’m unlikely to benefit, I’m happy to write a letter as well.

Take it from someone who used to work in government, the board is certainly interested in public opinion but it’s 75% made up its mind about how it wants to proceed. However, compelling arguments coupled with data can change minds. Use the same statistics the board cites. The board is getting its data from MVC, so it has a much better picture of how many and what types of vehicles are getting registered by NJ residents.

I put this together quickly of makes/models that fall around the 45k/55k break points to show that keeping it at 55k increases the consumers choice of vehicles. It only includes vehicles "available" now or in the next couple months.
It also shows why 83% of people chose Tesla as until the id.4 and Mach-E, there was no real competition in the 250 mile minimum range class, it was only the Bolt and it is a small car (I know, i had one until recently). 250 miles seems to be the minimum acceptable range to avoid the range anxiety issue that is often quoted as the reason a BEV is not purchased/leased.

1621556457269.png