Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge-Up NJ rebate program Phase 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't they generally assign you a VIN first online, and then ask about scheduling delivery?
I mean, they don't just email you one day out of the blue and say "hey you have 3 days to pick up your car" right?

I can't pickup the car unless I have proof of insurance, and I can't get proof of insurance without a VIN. Also, would we be able to rush financing through in 3 days?
When I was on the phone with Tesla support right after my order, they told me to select that I was paying in cash and just to call back or get in touch with my SA (wasn’t assigned yet but now I know who they are) to get the financing section open again after VIN assignment. She said that she wasn’t totally sure, but the way Tesla checks if you have an excellent FICO auto score and your income /expense ratio is acceptable (with your down payment amount) approvals are almost instant - but they can put a rush on it in case you require a manual review.

I haven’t asked Tesla but a few friends out here told me they got assigned a VIN and within a few days they received a text telling them to schedule a delivery date within 24 hours. All the dates were about a week out. So, you get a VIN say May 31st, then on June 3 you’re asked to schedule sometime for June 7-9.

I ordered April 1st. I have not heard from an SA yet. However, I did recently get invited to an online orientation for my new car.

My order is at the point where it is asking for proof of insurance, but it requires the VIN to be listed on the proof, so I cannot proceed further at this point.

If I get a VIN and an email asking me to schedule a delivery date, how to I postpone this date? For the past couple of months I've been reading that it is a trivial thing to postpone delivery as long as desired, certainly up to a few months. But recent posts here make it sound like you get your email and have to move quickly or lose the car and go to the back of the line. Not sure what to believe and it is difficult to get any info by calling Tesla.

I ordered April 1st. I have not heard from an SA yet. However, I did recently get invited to an online orientation for my new car.

My order is at the point where it is asking for proof of insurance, but it requires the VIN to be listed on the proof, so I cannot proceed further at this point.

If I get a VIN and an email asking me to schedule a delivery date, how to I postpone this date? For the past couple of months I've been reading that it is a trivial thing to postpone delivery as long as desired, certainly up to a few months. But recent posts here make it sound like you get your email and have to move quickly or lose the car and go to the back of the line. Not sure what to believe and it is difficult to get any info by calling Tesla.
What is your estimated delivery date?

I placed my order 5/7/21, estimated delivery date as of today is June 13-June 30

Ot has never been the case that “your car” could be held for you. A long time ago, before everybody wanted a Tesla, you could get lucky and find a “leftover from quarter” matching your configuration but it’s not the case since a couple quarters back.

The orientation session you mentioned is the same I got. In it they mention that in some cases they can hold until friday (say if your suggest d delivery date is between the preceeding saturday to Wednesday) but otherwise the car goes to someone waiting on the same config as you.

I asked my SA because we’re going to be away the last week of the month, and he’s “very certain” we’ll have the car before we leave given when they expect deliveries. But, basically if we are given the opportunity to schedule delivery and get matched to a VIN we have to scchedule or lose the VIN. It’ll get assigned to someone else with the same configuration. When you get assigned another vehicle is totally dependent on what is going on with logistics. He told me we wouldn’t go to the back of the line, but it could be another month before getting assigned another VIN.

I think if you know you absolutely won’t take the car until after the POS program comes in, you can ask Tesla to put your delivery “on hold” and you can select “I’m ready” from the portal when you are ready for the car. This might be what you’ve seen with folks delaying for a few months. They won’t assign a VIN until you remove the hold. We were told they won’t hold a car for us if we can’t take it when assigned, and that’s probably all the more reality now with demand skyrocketing. Heck my wife and I agreed I could leave our trip earlier if it was the difference between getting the car June 27th or October; our current car is on life support.

I asked my SA because we’re going to be away the last week of the month, and he’s “very certain” we’ll have the car before we leave given when they expect deliveries. But, basically if we are given the opportunity to schedule delivery and get matched to a VIN we have to scchedule or lose the VIN. It’ll get assigned to someone else with the same configuration. When you get assigned another vehicle is totally dependent on what is going on with logistics. He told me we wouldn’t go to the back of the line, but it could be another month before getting assigned another VIN.

I think if you know you absolutely won’t take the car until after the POS program comes in, you can ask Tesla to put your delivery “on hold” and you can select “I’m ready” from the portal when you are ready for the car. This might be what you’ve seen with folks delaying for a few months. They won’t assign a VIN until you remove the hold. We were told they won’t hold a car for us if we can’t take it when assigned, and that’s probably all the more reality now with demand skyrocketing. Heck my wife and I agreed I could leave our trip earlier if it was the difference between getting the car June 27th or October; our current car is on life support.
If it’s more than a month, it will be end of Q3

... you can ask Tesla to put your delivery “on hold” and you can select “I’m ready” from the portal when you are ready for the car. This might be what you’ve seen with folks delaying for a few months.
Yes, that sounds like what I remember. So do I need to be proactive and contact them to request the hold before they assign me a VIN?

Yes, that sounds like what I remember. So do I need to be proactive and contact them to request the hold before they assign me a VIN?
Yes - you’ll need to get in touch with your SA or Tesla support. I haven’t done it, but from what I’ve been told it effectively will have you “skipped” over for a VIN. For all we know our deliveries might come after July 1 anyway at the rate Tesla is going with MYs getting delivered.

I’d talk to support or your SA on the question of getting pushed to September if you hold. Like I imagine there will be folks who won’t take delivery before July 1 who were assigned a VIN and gave it up, and theoretically you could release your hold July 1 and be matched right away. But, I wouldn’t guarantee that. I’d love to be eligible for the POS, but we really need a new car. So for me, not getting the POS rebate and getting the car June 15th is better than waiting. If you can wait longer to get the car I’d say go for it, but if you can’t wait for whatever reason you might be like me and just resign to not getting anything from NJ...sans the sales tax waiver that’s pretty awesome :).

Reactions: rjpjnk
Hope it is okay to ask a question that is a bit of a tangent to the conversation on this thread, but is NJ specific.

Does anyone know exactly what rebates/credits are available for installation of charging equipment to "refuel" an EV in NJ? I understand there may be credits available from the local utility, the state of NJ and the federal government (Instructions for Form 8911 (02/2021) | Internal Revenue Service). Most of the Google results I see are incentives for businesses to install equipment, but I cannot find anything definitive for individuals.

Electrician quoted me $2,300 to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage and I am prepared to live with 110v, but if I can knock that cost down significantly I may go with the 240v option. Thanks.

$2300?!? That is nuts. How from your main panel? Easy path (like basement) to run the wiring?
Trying to remember what I spent 3 years ago to have mine put in, was definitely under $1k though. My main panel had room for the breaker and is in the basement, so was easy to run wire to where the garage was, he followed the path that existing wiring was using to come up in the garage wall in the next stud over from the 110v outlet on that wall.

I have a detached garage that is about 50' from the house. The price includes running new 12AWG wire from the main panel through the basement to where the wiring exits the house, then running the wire through the conduit and then installing a subpanel in the garage with separate 110 breakers for lights and garage door and 240 for the car. For the amount of work I think the price is reasonable. If I can get a rebate/credit for some of this, I may do it. We don't typically drive very far on any given day, so it is not essential for us.

For everybody that's waiting for the Phase 2 of the Charge Up initiative. It looks like there is a hearing on May 27 to finalize this. Also it looks like the savings amount will most likely be reduced to $2,000. Here is the public notice. This can be found on the Board of Public Utilities site. In the notice, you will want to read Section IV Program Elements and section B. Also if you are going to get the Wall Charger installed, you'll want to read section D.

Hope it is okay to ask a question that is a bit of a tangent to the conversation on this thread, but is NJ specific.

Does anyone know exactly what rebates/credits are available for installation of charging equipment to "refuel" an EV in NJ? I understand there may be credits available from the local utility, the state of NJ and the federal government (Instructions for Form 8911 (02/2021) | Internal Revenue Service). Most of the Google results I see are incentives for businesses to install equipment, but I cannot find anything definitive for individuals.

Electrician quoted me $2,300 to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage and I am prepared to live with 110v, but if I can knock that cost down significantly I may go with the 240v option. Thanks.

I have a detached garage that is about 50' from the house. The price includes running new 12AWG wire from the main panel through the basement to where the wiring exits the house, then running the wire through the conduit and then installing a subpanel in the garage with separate 110 breakers for lights and garage door and 240 for the car. For the amount of work I think the price is reasonable. If I can get a rebate/credit for some of this, I may do it. We don't typically drive very far on any given day, so it is not essential for us.
12awg wire the max he could make that subpanel is 20 amp service, which is super low. Not sure what your home service is at, but our garage panel is 50 amps with 125 amp service to the house; we had the wall connector installed on a 40 amp circuit in the subpanel. Inspector was totally fine with it. Understandably that subpanel alone adds to the cost big time. We spent about $600, but we installed close to the existing garage subpanel.

To your initial question, I don’t believe any of us who installed already will qualify for the rebate. The board is discussing a $250 rebate going forward, but you can get a federal tax credit for your 2021 taxes on your install (30% of your cost up to a max credit of $1,000).