Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge-Up NJ rebate program Phase 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you who are anxious that wait times will be insane, here’s some hope (YMMV obviously since I have a pretty basic config: LR AWD 5-seat, midnight silver, 19” Gemini wheels, black interior, no tow hitch).

I placed my order late last year and had everything on hold while waiting for updated NJ guidance. Thanks to the $1,000 price drop earlier this year, my base cost for a LR model is $49,990. Since it’s looking more likely that the order date will need to be made after the Phase 2 launch, it wouldn’t make sense for me to re-order just to get the $2,000 incentive, so I ended my hold this past Saturday. Up until yesterday, my estimated delivery date just said “September,” but this morning I was assigned a VIN with a delivery estimate of July 8-11. So just under two weeks, which is much quicker than I expected.

For those of you who are anxious that wait times will be insane, here’s some hope (YMMV obviously since I have a pretty basic config: LR AWD 5-seat, midnight silver, 19” Gemini wheels, black interior, no tow hitch).

I placed my order late last year and had everything on hold while waiting for updated NJ guidance. Thanks to the $1,000 price drop earlier this year, my base cost for a LR model is $49,990. Since it’s looking more likely that the order date will need to be made after the Phase 2 launch, it wouldn’t make sense for me to re-order just to get the $2,000 incentive, so I ended my hold this past Saturday. Up until yesterday, my estimated delivery date just said “September,” but this morning I was assigned a VIN with a delivery estimate of July 8-11. So just under two weeks, which is much quicker than I expected.
Nice. Consider that luck. Get your MY while you can. Waiting for NJ, you may just get old and a "less good" deal in the end.
Oh, and not driving your MY now.

Has anyone spoken to a Tesla rep. How difficult would it be to alter order date?
it's probably not in Tesla's best interest to 'alter' the order date specially when they know that they can make you pay the 'new' price and have it partially offset by charge up incentive. Received communication from tesla that order date has to be after charge up launch date so I guess they wouldn't be inclined to do any alteration to existing orders when they have nothing to lose and everything to gain by doing the right thing which is creating new order and making us pay for it. I have decided to not purchase tesla as I don't see the value proposition anymore. I wasn't as concerned with the price increases however radar goof up (shortage of supplies OR superior tesla vision tech, I smell a rat in here) was the last nail in the coffin for me.

Has anyone spoken to a Tesla rep. How difficult would it be to alter order date?
I spoke to one today. I ordered early May and have had my order on hold. It seems like they can change the order date pretty easily, but you get the current price. When I ordered in May, my configuration was 1500 cheaper than what it is today. So I would only see savings of 500. 500 isn't worth the headache of waiting for the state to get its *sugar* together, so I removed my hold today.

Reactions: AmunRa51
Rather than wait for politicians, which we all know can be forever and a losing prop, ordering a Tesla Charger on July 1.
If it qualifies, great. If not, then no more waiting for politicians for our family as life is just too short. And as noted here, some price increases just kill off any benefit of NJ programs, a move again to the detriment of the consumer.
We ordered the wall charger this morning. If July 1 is not going to be the program start day, then we are done waiting.
Usually most rebate programs start or end at the month change. Let's hope this is so for NJ.

Reactions: GeoffEV
We ordered the wall charger this morning. If July 1 is not going to be the program start day, then we are done waiting.
Usually most rebate programs start or end at the month change. Let's hope this is so for NJ.
What wall charger have you ordered? Tesla HPWC may not be considered as smart charger for NJ rebate because it doesn't provide time of use data to utilities.

Last edited:
What wall charger have you ordered? Tesla HPWC may not be considered as smart charger for NJ rebate because it doesn't provide time of use data to utilities.
WIFI connected. I am not going to say it is NOT qualified. So we will apply.
Why not? It meets the intent and need of the rebate.
Actually you point out the real problem with these rebates, they suck all the funds out of our state budget and for the most part, the consumer gets none.

I wonder if as a customer, we can show up to pick up our car, at the same desk that paperwork is completed at, cancel or reject the car, then immediately purchase the car without leaving the showroom. Don't re-enter the traditional rejection and then re-enter an order waiting period for 3-12 weeks in the future. Tesla has a customer sitting with a certified check in hand ready to take the car. Win-Win for everyone

me either. At this point I just need a car.

Literally a hiccup away from saying **** tesla and going with the new Chevy Silverado (I know its a gas guzzler but its so damn sexy lol)
Go test drive the MY again.
Then let us know. Also, waiting on NJ State to act this year has been a bad deal for Tesla EV customers . The prices keep going up on MY.
One thing we really do not miss is wasting time at the gas pump. And that cost is now gone in both time (more important) and money.
Good luck!

Reactions: Naderh3697