Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge-Up NJ rebate program Phase 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're absolutely right, it's a gamble almost. This is also why I'm not touching my delivery date. The worst thing that can happen is Congress doesn't pass the EV bill and NJ runs out of money for charge up. BUT BUT BUT, even that, we can still take delivery and flip the car for a profit.

Bottom line, you can't lose buying a tesla :)
I just picked up model y (posting pics soon) Enjoyed Tesla experience so much I purchased model 3 (will rent out with Turo) will wait for January to pick up to get rebate. Hopefully it turns out well.

I just checked my order and it no longer has the rebate applied to it (ordered mid-Sept). I filled out the form 10/1 and received confirmation. I think I uploaded my driver's license when I requested a test drive. Hoping it's somewhere in their database...Does anyone know if the DL needed to be uploaded at any other point when ordering?

When I did it, my recollection was that the words were something like they may go after you if you didn't keep it for the three years

But haven't considered it myself. My wife would kill me. Besides, don't know what I'd get. I'm still nervous about those gull wings and the MX is the only other one with the tow hitch. I'd consider another MY but what the hell. Already have one and while a heated steering wheel would be nice, the PWS would not be. I think the only thing that would get me would be a significant range boost.

When I did it, my recollection was that the words were something like they may go after you if you didn't keep it for the three years

But haven't considered it myself. My wife would kill me. Besides, don't know what I'd get. I'm still nervous about those gull wings and the MX is the only other one with the tow hitch. I'd consider another MY but what the hell. Already have one and while a heated steering wheel would be nice, the PWS would not be. I think the only thing that would get me would be a significant range boost.

Thanks im looking at maybe a new y. Does anyone know how they know you sold it? Is it reported?

I just checked my order and it no longer has the rebate applied to it (ordered mid-Sept). I filled out the form 10/1 and received confirmation. I think I uploaded my driver's license when I requested a test drive. Hoping it's somewhere in their database...Does anyone know if the DL needed to be uploaded at any other point when ordering?

Spoke to customer service. Ordered on 9/15 and spoke to someone on phone 9/16 that stated changing the color wouldn’t affect eligibility. SA now says it does and it is processed as a new order so I’m ineligible now. Questioned why I received NJ rebate emails from Tesla on 10/1 and 10/8 but SA states he didn’t see any emails sent by Tesla for this reference number. Extremely frustrated by the communication and variability between SA.

The fiscal year for NJ starts on 7/1. Purchases before that, and maybe even later than that (depending on when the program restarts), won’t get a rebate. I would guess that the rebate amount will be the same as last year.
Does that policy only apply to Teslas where if you order before program is active again you don’t get a rebate? I ordered a Subaru Solterra but it isn’t really a purchase order.

Tesla is almost fully priced out of the NJ Charge Up Program. Currently, MSRP is capped at $55,000. Model 3 LR still qualifies with $500 to spare, but it would need to be completely barebones, no add-ons. Model 3 RWD would qualify with add-ons, but you'd only get $2,000 instead of the full $5,000 due to being in the $45-55K MSRP tier.

Things could change in July, but I don't see NJ increasing the MSRP cap.

Tesla is almost fully priced out of the NJ Charge Up Program. Currently, MSRP is capped at 55K. Model 3 LR still qualifies with $500 to spare, but it would need to be completely barebones, no add-ons. Model 3 RWD would qualify with add-ons, but you'd only get $2,000 instead of the full $5,000 due to being in the $45-55K MSRP tier.

Things could change in July, but I don't see NJ increasing the MSRP cap.
And other EV's are hampered by dealers adding on large profits to their MSRP's, so pretty soon, it may be difficult to find anything but a bare-bones EV available under the threshold.

And other EV's are hampered by dealers adding on large profits to their MSRP's, so pretty soon, it may be difficult to find anything but a bare-bones EV available under the threshold.
They will need to specify where "dealer markups" fall within the new guidelines, but I'm assuming it wouldn't fall under the MSRP cap.

"The MSRP cap will not include maintenance or vehicle care packages, additional vehicles accessories (ex: first aid kits, floor mats, cargo nets, etc.), destination and delivery charges, tax, registration fees, title fees, and documentation fees since these line items do not relate to the value of the vehicle itself, but rather to logistics, care, and maintenance of the vehicle."

Reactions: YoPlaid and spokey
They will need to specify where "dealer markups" fall within the new guidelines, but I'm assuming it wouldn't fall under the MSRP cap.

"The MSRP cap will not include maintenance or vehicle care packages, additional vehicles accessories (ex: first aid kits, floor mats, cargo nets, etc.), destination and delivery charges, tax, registration fees, title fees, and documentation fees since these line items do not relate to the value of the vehicle itself, but rather to logistics, care, and maintenance of the vehicle."
I'd suggest if someone is thinking of taking advantage of this with a non-Tesla, they start to work on this now. Getting an answer will take forever, and I wouldn't wait until after the fact.

To clarify, no one can take advantage of this rebate again until the new fiscal year starts and they release more funds. Either way, NJ Charge Up team is pretty tight lipped - it wouldn't hurt to ask, but I'm sure they won't give anyone an answer until the new guidelines are released.

I agree. If the MSRP is below the cap you should be fine. My MSRP was 54990 MSRP (first rebate program) so of course I wrote a check for quite a bit higher and didn't have any trouble with my rebate.