Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Variation At Scheduled Departure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planned a trip this morning at 7.30 but couldn’t sleep so decided to leave earlier. Scheduled for an 89% charge at departure.
Actually was ready to go at 6.30 - with charge at that time 93% and completing.

is it the case the car ‘overcharges’ to accommodate energy needs including preparing for the original 7.30 departure with heating (climate) control etc? Net if I’d walked out the door at 7.30 I’d have had 89% available to me?

This isn’t first time I’ve experienced small ‘overcharge’ outcomes - anyone else seeing this?

I know very little about scheduled departure but wrt 'over charging', it could be the difference between cold/usable and 'real' battery capacity. So you may set your charge limit to say 90% which seems to be the cold/usable limit. The car then charges and stops at 90%. But it then warms and that 90% then becomes 93%.

In something like TeslaFi (below), the cold/usable is shown in blue next to the 'real'. In the app, you can see the discrepancy by sliding the limit all to the right - if it stops short of 100%, then that is the cold/usable amount.

upload_2020-12-14_9-8-30.png

Planned a trip this morning at 7.30 but couldn’t sleep so decided to leave earlier. Scheduled for an 89% charge at departure.
Actually was ready to go at 6.30 - with charge at that time 93% and completing.

is it the case the car ‘overcharges’ to accommodate energy needs including preparing for the original 7.30 departure with heating (climate) control etc? Net if I’d walked out the door at 7.30 I’d have had 89% available to me?

This isn’t first time I’ve experienced small ‘overcharge’ outcomes - anyone else seeing this?
Yes mine often over charges by upto about 3%. No idea why. not losing any sleep over it. Nothing to do with scheduled departure I rarely use it.

I think it cuts both ways. If I charge overnight, the app notification gives says 80% at completion but on a cold night the car says 78% in the morning just a few hours later. There’s no significant draw so I guessed it was just the battery cooling.
Right now, the garage remote battery is doing the same. It needs renewing but there’s plenty of daytime use left in it !!

Reactions: Adopado