TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charge your 60D to 100%?

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by Kwang0429, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Kwang0429

Kwang0429 Member

Question: I have a 60D, if I charge it to 100%, will it decrease battery performance? I know 60D has the same battery pack as 75D, and 60D can be upgraded to 75D via software, does this means I still have room for the battery even charge my 60D 100%?

2. McManX

McManX Member

3. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

This has been pretty extensively covered in several past threads with similar titles. You might try getting more in-depth theories by performing a search.

In short, it probably will do no extra harm to your battery to charge to 100%. Tesla will officially tell you not to do so.

I personally charge mine to 80-90% if it will be sitting for a few days, and charge to 100% right before use. In the past I have almost always charged to 100% at superchargers, but I will begin to taper that back to necessary charge+safety buffer to reach the next Supercharger for long road trips. I'm learning and adapting all the time.

4. outie

outie Active Member

Do you need 100% charge on a daily basis? While the general consensus says it's ok to charge 60kWh to 100%, I wouldn't if it's not needed. I charge mine to 90% around every other day. I only charge to 100% if I expect a longer trip on the weekend.

5. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

Consensus is that it's fine based on actual battery capacities.

Although, I will note that a 75D has an actual usable capacity of 72.6kw, and a 60D has a usable capacity of 62.4kw. Charging to 100% on a 60 will mean charging to 86% of total battery capacity. If you want to stay within the 80% for the pack, you would have to set it to 93% on a 60 (rounding to 92 or 94) to get 80% utilization.

Heck of a deal that 60 is...you really only lose on the top end for long trips.

6. RRM998

RRM998 Member

I've found that if I charge to 100% several days in a row, I'll get a nag message about not charging to 100%. I don't know if that would be a daily message as I reset it to 90%.