Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charged at supercharger that looked like a Dealership lot/showroom

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
and... when i plugged in, no charge amount was shown, either live or at the end...

So i stayed there and chilled while charging, assuming the dealer uses this for their cars and doesn't bother charging those who stumble upon that location.

Next day i see a 4 dollar charge on my app.

This is not about money - but about a principle, why on earth would a live charge not be shown to let me know? Did they disable that to trick people or what?

Shall i call or contact anyone about it to get them to fix it and... a small refund?

Seriously? You signed up for the "pay-to-play" model when using a SuperCharger. You live in Ontario and already know that we pay some mighty high rates. If you use a SuperCharger, you are expected to pay. This is why we put a credit card into our account. I'm actually surprised you only saw the charge the next day. While traveling to upstate NY, over the summer, I forgot to take the foreign transaction lock off my travel credit card. No sooner did I finish charging, that a message appeared on my screen, telling me that my charging priveledge were revoked until I settled the charge.

I'm sure that I can speak for most, but you'll not get a lot of sympathy here. The fact that you're stating that "it's not about the money" says to us that you're being petty. Sorry for the truth, amigo, but you really need to read the agreement in more detail next time. If you're going to "nickle and dime", don’t drive a Tesla.

Seriously? You signed up for the "pay-to-play" model when using a SuperCharger. You live in Ontario and already know that we pay some mighty high rates. If you use a SuperCharger, you are expected to pay. This is why we put a credit card into our account. I'm actually surprised you only saw the charge the next day. While traveling to upstate NY, over the summer, I forgot to take the foreign transaction lock off my travel credit card. No sooner did I finish charging, that a message appeared on my screen, telling me that my charging priveledge were revoked until I settled the charge.

I'm sure that I can speak for most, but you'll not get a lot of sympathy here. The fact that you're stating that "it's not about the money" says to us that you're being petty. Sorry for the truth, amigo, but you really need to read the agreement in more detail next time. If you're going to "nickle and dime", don’t drive a Tesla.
Why be nasty? The OP was naive, perhaps, but he hardly deserves the incredulous reply, to be called "petty" and told he is "nickle" [sic] and dime-ing. Gratuitous insults. Do they make you feel better? Because they add nothing good to the world.

Why be nasty? The OP was naive, perhaps, but he hardly deserves the incredulous reply, to be called "petty" and told he is "nickle" [sic] and dime-ing. Gratuitous insults. Do they make you feel better? Because they add nothing good to the world.
When one pays as much as we do for these vehicles, this comes with the ownership - SuperCharger costs, that is. $4? Come on! Who are you fooling here? If anyone is being supercilious, take a look in the mirror.

Thanks Bud. yes, i was trying to be clear in my OP. still don't get why no live charge amount was shown. Unlike all other superchargers i have used. that's all.

I was NOT complaining about the $4 charge. ONLY about the fact live $ amount was not shown as it usually is.

Is that too much to ask? Why would that location NOT show the charge being accrued live?
The live charging cost shows right on the charging screen. And if you click on the Supercharger icon on the map, the per minute rates are shown.

The live charging cost shows right on the charging screen. And if you click on the Supercharger icon on the map, the per minute rates are shown.

LOL. The whole point of this thread was that.... it was NOT shown on the charging screen LOL. Can't make this any more clear LOL. It was N O T shown LOL. I assumed it was free due to that fact.

But good to know about charge per minute on the map. thx

LOL. The whole point of this thread was that.... it was NOT shown on the charging screen LOL. Can't make this any more clear LOL. It was N O T shown LOL. I assumed it was free due to that fact.

But good to know about charge per minute on the map. thx
This is where it normally shows the "session cost":

50D4C6EF-FF37-4E8F-A184-4626D9DA43D3.jpeg

Was it actually a Supercharger or was it (gen 3) wall connector set up for billing?

Example below:

Willing to post the location so we can look it up on Tesla's site and Plugshare?

Was it actually a Supercharger or was it (gen 3) wall connector set up for billing?

Example below:

Willing to post the location so we can look it up on Tesla's site and Plugshare?

Here

It looked like a normal supercharger, except it was very hard to back into as it was a tight alley (which is why i assumed it was not a public S.C. but only for the purposes of the dealer). Yes, I know what the screen looks like (@rypalmer) (As i said in original post, I am always getting the live charge shown, except this location). I would have almost said that maybe my OS had a glitch and had to be restarted, but no... the next day i charged as S.C. 20 minutes north in Markham and live charge was shown... that same evening yet another one and also shown.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Thanks for the link. So it looks like a typical Supercharger, with appropriate signs indicating the parking space is for EV charging only and to move your vehicle after completing charging.

Perfectly normal. If I saw that I would certainly expect to pay for charging . The fact that your app did not show a charging price is clearly Tesla’s fault. But for you to get upset about being charged for a service rendered strikes me as unjustified.

What I think would be justified would be to talk — face to face — to the Tesla manager there and explain what happened to you and ask about the policy of owners charging at that location.

That charger is not shown on the FInd Us page on Tesla’s website. I assume it does not show in the car nav either? So in that sense it is not a charger that Tesla wants the public to use. But since you could drive to it and plug in Tesla seems okay with people using it.

Here is a photo that was posted to Google Maps for that address.

257E584C-BB47-45FC-8EA2-EA4E83E8837F.jpeg

Last edited:
Its definitely listed on plugshare as a supercharger, that would likely be what they use to charge the cars that are being picked up by customers at the show room.

full set of charging stalls that are there. I would not expect that it would act any different than other chargers strange that it would not show a real time cost but I have had a few sessions where it did not happen but i got charged at a later point. just saying it happens

Here

It looked like a normal supercharger, except it was very hard to back into as it was a tight alley (which is why i assumed it was not a public S.C. but only for the purposes of the dealer). Yes, I know what the screen looks like (@rypalmer) (As i said in original post, I am always getting the live charge shown, except this location). I would have almost said that maybe my OS had a glitch and had to be restarted, but no... the next day i charged as S.C. 20 minutes north in Markham and live charge was shown... that same evening yet another one and also shown.

I literally live down the street from this SuperCharger and it has always been a good ole regular SuperCharger. I even called tech support in my first month of ownership, to confirm that as I had 1500 Kim’s of free charging then. So if it looks like a duck and quacks like one, well…

If they dress them up like that, then you can be sure that you will be charged (literally and electrically), when using them. Only the destination chargers which look like wall connectors, are usually free. But then they do not handle the higher outputs for faster charging.

Oh, and that location is not the easiest for spacing out the cars. Fairview Mall, off Sheppard is probably better for that.

Its definitely listed on plugshare as a supercharger, that would likely be what they use to charge the cars that are being picked up by customers at the show room.

full set of charging stalls that are there. I would not expect that it would act any different than other chargers strange that it would not show a real time cost but I have had a few sessions where it did not happen but i got charged at a later point. just saying it happens

Oh OK, that is all then. If you have seen another SC that did not show the charge and then still charged you, then clearly it's something that they need to get fixed as i can easily see myself calling and getting a refund... Not seeing a charge is basically misleading and the client is unable to make a decision when to stop charging.

For those in this thread who attacked me for asking the question... Jesus...

And yes, it did not initially show on car nav... I found it from google maps, which i too found strange. so the story is connected... the reason it did not show the charge is probably related to it not being on car nav (but it later showed up when i clicked the lightning icons). When you walk into a store, you get a price for the service, so for those who flamed me for thinking the issue was not legitimate, what a waste of time reading and responding , thanks to those who just inquired and answerd.

• Disagree
Reactions: Soul Surfer
one thing i would note is if you look in your tesla app and it says pay per use supercharging, they will not refund you. no where in the documentation does it say they will give you live pricing on the charges, just that you will be charged.

good luck with the attempt though maybe they will be in a giving mood due to the holiday season.