TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charged for New Drive Unit?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Sou7hCat09, Jul 20, 2018.

1. David99

David99 Active Member

nope

2. ahkahn

ahkahn Member

• Like x 1
  3. electracity

electracity Active Member

Really? Correcting a new employee who makes an error entering a code is satisfying? You as a Tesla owner interacting with someone who makes a near poverty level wage?

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  4. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

Wow u must be fun at parties

No correcting someone who was arrogant enough to insist they were right when the truth was obvious. Anyone with one iota of knowledge knows drive trains have 8 years unlimited mile warranties except for a few select models

• Love x 2
  5. Krash

Krash Data Technician

If I had someone who didn't know what they were doing I would have asked them about the upgrade fee for that bigger p motor.

• Funny x 3
  6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I actually asked about that when one of my S85 drive units was being replaced. I was told it was not possible under any circumstances. I didn't really care that much, so never followed up any further.

7. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Even if it wasn't under warranty, aren't they legally required to provide an estimate before making the repair?

• Like x 1
  8. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

Yes. Typically, one of the papers you sign (at least at other establishments) is a quote threshold relinquishment amount. It states that if the repairs cost under a certain amount, they will just fix it, otherwise they'll provide an estimate. Sometimes they'll have you sing a complete quote waiver, stating that they can repair at any cost.

9. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

Where did it say he was a "new employee"???
    And I'm friends with an SA... they most definitely don't earn near poverty level wages...

I may not get satisfaction at the employee being proven wrong, but by god I would sleep better if he got fired. How many people have to pay a six thousand dollar bill because this guy was so arrogant and had absolutely no clue about the one thing that he is suppose to know to do his job without screwing customers and turning them off of this company??

Let's go back to the theory where he is a "new employee". Then even more so, he should have took it upon himself to go check with his superior, instead of forcing the customer to get to the point where the customer is having to go to speak with a superior. This behavior is simply unacceptable!

I truly hope they went back and checked their records to see how many other loyal customers this guy charged thousands of dollars for repair bills that were actually warranty claims.

• Like x 2
  10. David99

David99 Active Member

Yet Jason showed that you can upgrade a normal drive unit to a 'P' just in firmware.

11. Krash

Krash Data Technician

Yeah, this wasn't the best example. It would have been funnier on an S 85D.

12. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I was not aware of that. I thought it was actually a "beefier" unit. When you look at the configuration screen animations, it makes the rear DU "bigger" when you select the Performance option, but perhaps that is just for sales effect.

13. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Jason has said that only some, but not most, of the normal drive units could be turned into a P drive unit: P85 modded to be a P85 w/Ludicrous

• Like x 1
  14. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Active Member

Question?
    Is his 8 year warranty reset with NEW drive unit?
    To me , yes.

15. MP3Mike

No, that isn't how warranties work.

• Like x 1
  16. David99

David99 Active Member

There is the original, larger and the newer smaller drive units. The older, lager one came as a standard and Performance version. That was the difference in the first non P and P cars.
    When the new dual motor cars were introduced they started putting the smaller, new drive unit into the back and front. Only the performance version got the old, more powerful big drive unit for the back wheels.

17. MP3Mike

The rear wheel drive cars also got the big drive unit, just not the "performance" version of it.

• Like x 1