Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charged for New Drive Unit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really? Correcting a new employee who makes an error entering a code is satisfying? You as a Tesla owner interacting with someone who makes a near poverty level wage?

Wow u must be fun at parties

No correcting someone who was arrogant enough to insist they were right when the truth was obvious. Anyone with one iota of knowledge knows drive trains have 8 years unlimited mile warranties except for a few select models

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA and JohnnyG
Even if it wasn't under warranty, aren't they legally required to provide an estimate before making the repair?
Yes. Typically, one of the papers you sign (at least at other establishments) is a quote threshold relinquishment amount. It states that if the repairs cost under a certain amount, they will just fix it, otherwise they'll provide an estimate. Sometimes they'll have you sing a complete quote waiver, stating that they can repair at any cost.

Long story short it was covered under warranty. I called the SC first thing in the morning and the person I got was so adamant that the charge was correct. Of course I took him up on his offer to talk to his boss. It took about 15 seconds of talking to his boss before he realized the mistake. Everything was taken care of and I picked up the car without any issues. SA apologized and had me on my way. Thank you Tesla for clearing this up so quickly. Also if anyone is curious the DU was $6764.14 after CO tax and labor.

Probably the most satisfying feeling, knowing an employee was proven wrong by their boss in front of you.

Really? Correcting a new employee who makes an error entering a code is satisfying? You as a Tesla owner interacting with someone who makes a near poverty level wage?
Where did it say he was a "new employee"???
And I'm friends with an SA... they most definitely don't earn near poverty level wages...

I may not get satisfaction at the employee being proven wrong, but by god I would sleep better if he got fired. How many people have to pay a six thousand dollar bill because this guy was so arrogant and had absolutely no clue about the one thing that he is suppose to know to do his job without screwing customers and turning them off of this company??

Let's go back to the theory where he is a "new employee". Then even more so, he should have took it upon himself to go check with his superior, instead of forcing the customer to get to the point where the customer is having to go to speak with a superior. This behavior is simply unacceptable!

I truly hope they went back and checked their records to see how many other loyal customers this guy charged thousands of dollars for repair bills that were actually warranty claims.

Reactions: AMPd and gaswalla
Yet Jason showed that you can upgrade a normal drive unit to a 'P' just in firmware.

Jason has said that only some, but not most, of the normal drive units could be turned into a P drive unit: P85 modded to be a P85 w/Ludicrous

I've found that *some* non-P DUs can be flashed to be PDUs... but not all. Actually, most can't. Without flashing they'll accept a slightly higher max power command, but somewhere between base and P.

Reactions: JohnnyG
I was not aware of that. I thought it was actually a "beefier" unit. When you look at the configuration screen animations, it makes the rear DU "bigger" when you select the Performance option, but perhaps that is just for sales effect.

There is the original, larger and the newer smaller drive units. The older, lager one came as a standard and Performance version. That was the difference in the first non P and P cars.
When the new dual motor cars were introduced they started putting the smaller, new drive unit into the back and front. Only the performance version got the old, more powerful big drive unit for the back wheels.