Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charged for New Drive Unit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just dropped off my 2014 MS60 with 63k miles for the infamous milling sound to the SC in Littleton, CO. They immediately diagnosed it as the drive unit. I received notification tonight the car would be ready for pickup tomorrow. What I wasn’t expecting was the amount due on the invoice. It says I am being charged ~$5800 for a drive unit replacement. Unless I am missing something, wouldn’t this be covered under warranty? Only other thing I can think of is that I am not the original owner. I bought it via private sale. If anyone can shed any light on this I’d really appreciate it.

I just dropped off my 2014 MS60 with 63k miles for the infamous milling sound to the SC in Littleton, CO. They immediately diagnosed it as the drive unit. I received notification tonight the car would be ready for pickup tomorrow. What I wasn’t expecting was the amount due on the invoice. It says I am being charged ~$5800 for a drive unit replacement. Unless I am missing something, wouldn’t this be covered under warranty? Only other thing I can think of is that I am not the original owner. I bought it via private sale. If anyone can shed any light on this I’d really appreciate it.

You should be covered per the warranty info below:

"The Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement of any malfunctioning or defective Model S or X lithium-ion battery for a period of 8 years or unlimited miles/km, with the exception of the original 60 kWh battery (manufactured before 2015) that is covered for a period of 8 years or 125,000 miles (200,000 km), whichever comes first. To provide you with even more assurance, the Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty will also cover damage to your vehicle from a battery fire even if it is the result of driver error, subject to certain exclusions."

Core factory warranty remains with the car, not the owner so you should still have the coverage. Even the ESA is transferable

The following is official:
Vehicle Warranty | Model S and Model X

Does the New Vehicle Limited Warranty transfer to the new owner if I sell my Model S or X?
Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty will follow your vehicle and be transferred to the new owner when a vehicle ownership transfer is performed through Tesla.

Can I transfer my Extended Service Agreement to the new owner if I sell my Tesla vehicle?
Yes, you can transfer the unused portion of your Extended Service Agreement with the sale of your vehicle. The agreement will transfer to the new owner when the vehicle ownership transfer is processed through Tesla. Please refer to the Extended Service Agreement Terms and Conditions for more information.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
The invoice doesn't typically list the cost and then subtract the warranty coverage. Nonetheless, OP should be ok with an explanation. Would love follow up!
Long story short it was covered under warranty. I called the SC first thing in the morning and the person I got was so adamant that the charge was correct. Of course I took him up on his offer to talk to his boss. It took about 15 seconds of talking to his boss before he realized the mistake. Everything was taken care of and I picked up the car without any issues. SA apologized and had me on my way. Thank you Tesla for clearing this up so quickly. Also if anyone is curious the DU was $6764.14 after CO tax and labor.

Long story short it was covered under warranty. I called the SC first thing in the morning and the person I got was so adamant that the charge was correct. Of course I took him up on his offer to talk to his boss. It took about 15 seconds of talking to his boss before he realized the mistake. Everything was taken care of and I picked up the car without any issues. SA apologized and had me on my way. Thank you Tesla for clearing this up so quickly. Also if anyone is curious the DU was $6764.14 after CO tax and labor.

Probably the most satisfying feeling, knowing an employee was proven wrong by their boss in front of you.

• Love
Reactions: No ICE and Drax
Interesting that the DU is 'only' $5800. I heard much higher prices. Ifyou end up paying (which I doubt), make sure you demand to get the old drive unit. It is yours and you will most likely be able to sell it and offset some of your cost.

I would've thought that's the cost AFTER giving the old drive unit to Tesla.
Yea, careful with this... Some major parts prices come with the clause that they keep the old part.

• Informative
Reactions: MarkKW