Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charged for Updating Wheels Avatar?!?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. I just had my Service Center perform its annual swap out of my summer tires for my winter tires. In the past, the avatar for the wheels would also be updated in the Instrument Panel and on my phone. I know, I know, this is is not important. But it was nice to see Tesla's attention to detail when they performed the swap. This time, the Service Center said they could not perform the avatar change, but the Mobile Tech (who is coming out this week for an unrelated matter), would be able to do the change. So the Mobile Tech is scheduled to come out on Wednesday and today I get the service estimate and Tesla wants to charge me $87.50 to change the avatar. And yes, I am sure that the charge is only to change the stupid avatar for the wheels. This is beyond insane. I've had the car for six years and this is the nuttiest thing I've seen yet. Just thought I would share this with the crowd.

Jacob

With the last few updates this is a user setting under the "service" option in the main menu. You get a whole slew of OEM wheel sizes and styles to choose from as the user. If you have an older software version for some reason (you'd have to intentionally avoid updates as this has been a feature going back months now) then a tech would have to physically connect externally into your MCU via a laptop and software to manually change that. Unless I'm missing something here I see no reason you need a Ranger Tech to do this for you now-a-days.

When I swapped out my wheels and tires myself this last autumn my Model S automatically updated the graphics once I told it thru the UI that I had changed rims and tires and reset the TPMS. I hope it will do it again (back to summer rims) once I make the swap back - we shall see!

I’m wondering since now we have the option to do it ourselves (if the right wheels are indeed listed) that they charge people that insist on the SC or Mobile doing it for them and spending their time.

Before, of course, owners had no way to do it themselves.

It's 3 taps to get to the menu: Controls -> Service -> Wheel Configuration. The MCU will reboot and you should be good to go. No reason to schedule service for it.

The $87.50 charge is probably the minimum half hour charge for a service. Pretty dumb that the SC said they couldn't do it, but you can easily do it yourself.

Reactions: SSedan
Thanks everyone. I had no idea that Tesla had added this feature to the software in the car. Per your instructions, I have now changed the wheels accordingly. It is a bit surprising, however, that the service center did not know that the car owner could change the avatar. Anyway, thanks to everyone for pointing this feature out to me.

Thanks everyone. I had no idea that Tesla had added this feature to the software in the car. Per your instructions, I have now changed the wheels accordingly. It is a bit surprising, however, that the service center did not know that the car owner could change the avatar. Anyway, thanks to everyone for pointing this feature out to me.
Tesla service is the worst.

/thread