Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargeFox EV charging Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The ludicrous+ button will start heating your battery. It's not intended for that purpose, but you sure can use it in that way. Just remember to turn it off once charging since you no longer want it running (unless you want it in + mode afterwards.) Of course heating the battery will consume charge so don't do it if you're running really low but otherwise it will be offset by faster charging once you get there.

Good tip! Never thought to use it that way!

Is it normal for a chargefox 350kw ultra rapid charger to only charge a M3 LR at 46kw with battery in the mid 60% range? Presumably because I hooked up with 63% remaining
I did my first “road trip” supercharge on Saturday, and got pretty much exactly the same performance as in your photo. Battery was a bit under 70% (I left home on 100%) and I charged to 90%. So it’s not Chargefox.

On the return trip I used an NRMA 50kW charger and frankly the actual charge speed was not a lot less than what I got at the Tesla supercharger. Main difference was NRMA was free whereas I had to pay $9 at the Tesla SC :cool:

I did my first “road trip” supercharge on Saturday, and got pretty much exactly the same performance as in your photo. Battery was a bit under 70% (I left home on 100%) and I charged to 90%. So it’s not Chargefox.

On the return trip I used an NRMA 50kW charger and frankly the actual charge speed was not a lot less than what I got at the Tesla supercharger. Main difference was NRMA was free whereas I had to pay $9 at the Tesla SC :cool:

Get some referrals going :p

I gather you were charging on a Tesla Supercharger and not at Chargefox.
I just called Chargefox support and the rep said the unit should charge fast until ~ 80% then slow up, but TBH I think she had NFI. In my case I connected at 63% and charging started at 46kW but only averaged a meagre 28kW for the 55 minute charge. Like you say, I might as as well have just hooked up to the 50kW Fast charger beside it. There are several images on Plugshare of model 3s at the same Chargefox station as I connected to. One was getting 47kW and the other 105kW a few weeks ago. Question is was the 105kW one it starting off a much lower charge.

The Goulburn site is active in their app too! Only two charging units by the looks of things. I would've thought Goulburn would be bigger than most of their others?

[Edit: Just checked Plugshare, someone has put up a pic, it does have 3, but the app only displays two.]

Only 2 of the 3 chargers at North Goulburn are ultra-rapid 350kw. The other is a conventional 50kw.

And one of the ultra-rapids at North Goulburn spent last weekend out of order. Looks like it's since been fixed.

Be good if they came up with a button you could press to tell the car you are intending on fast charging shortly, obviously when you are going to a supercharger it starts to warm the battery but it's not going to know about other ones I assume?

Tell the car you're headed to Goulburn Supercharger. Let it preheat. Drive past the Supercharger and pull into ChargeFox. It's a tiny fraction cheaper, it's closer to food, and I'd feel way more comfortable leaving a nice car there.

As DS P85D noted, it's disappointing that Chargefox didn't locate their chargers near the southern Freeway ramp adjacent to the Big Merino, Trappers Bakery, Olivers Fast Food and Service Stations. Driving through Goulburn for the Tesla Superchargers and now for the Chargefox ones near McDonalds on the northern outskirts of Goulburn adds 3 minutes to every journey (according to Google).

While I would agree looking at the map, consider what it'd be like spending time there at night during winter!

The most logical place to put chargers at South Goulburn would be the western end of the huge McDonalds car park, basically next to the McDonalds car park entry and exit. It's at the top of a hill, and the wind there cuts to the bone. Unlike places like Canberra (which don't get truly cold until about 5am), Goulburn is cold all night long, and South Goulburn gets the worst of it IMHO.

The other potential spot would be across the road from the Shell & Trappers, on the old highway, at the i-Bay.

Anywhere in the Shell complex itself would be trouble. Large vehicles, caravans and trailers have to turn around in the petrol side, and you can forget about the diesel side! You'd get ICEd frequently by Big Merino tourists (but fortunately their visits would be brief). I used to get the Greyhound bus from there to Canberra daily (back when it ran), and parking all-day in the servo grounds was a huge no-no.

Locating of charging stations adjacent to freeway service centres should be first priority for those stations that are supporting long distance travel. Additional fast charging stations can be installed in town later to support local residents and tourists who aren't in a rush or want more food options.

The Goulburn Supercharger is at the Tourist Information Centre. It's a narrow car park between Sloane Street (a handy rat-run) and a long run of disused railways buildings. It's across the road from the Soldiers Club, which is theoretically open until 11pm if you want a cuppa. Its bistro is nice, but it's way overpriced for an RSL club. Otherwise there's absolutely nothing there, unless there's some sort of festival on in Belmore Park (at which time you'll probably be ICEd anyway). You could stumble up the hill to Auburn Street, but there's not much there either. It's a horrible location, and I'm not surprised to have read here that it's frequently vandalised.

The North Goulburn ChargeFox Ultra-Rapid is somewhat better. It's at a Choke-n-Puke - Cafe Luxe - just across from the North Goulburn McDonalds. The Choke-n-puke is 6am-8pm daily. The McDonalds is 5am-Midnight daily. Still not ideal, but certainly OK. And given there's nothing within pedestrian range that doesn't have plenty of parking, there won't be any council goons & it's unlikely it'll be ICEd either.

The M3 SR+ I ordered is expected in a month. I'm just scouting out potential top-ups between Canberra, Wollongong and Sydney - since I certainly couldn't justify buying the LR (and I might not even make the financial grade for a SR+). But planning is critical when you have to visit Sydney frequently from the country. There's no way I can make a Goulburn-Sydney-Goulburn round trip in any Tesla, and still have charge left to do anything once I'm in Sydney. Traipsing into Zetland, Broadway etc are unappealing. I'm working on the notion of doing a major charge in Goulburn and a top-up at NRMA in Mittagong (in one or both directions).

Though it hardly matters on the weeks I detour into Wollongong once the ChargeFox at Shell Cove opens - even though I can't find any evidence that it's even under construction whenever I swing past there.

Beg to differ. The Paragon Cafe is an institution in Goulburn and only a block from the Tesla Superchargers.
Sure, if you don’t mind paying $21.50 for a slice of lasagne.

Main thing Paragon really has going for it is that it’s open til 9pm. As a commuter that mattered since I was never back in town before 7pm.

I suppose if you are passing through, with money to burn, the sums are different. But if I valued my car, I wouldn’t leave it unattended on Sloane Street at night.

Used Goulburn SC a lot and never seen it vandalised (except the odd bit of graffiti). If you think Goulburn SC carpark is narrow you won't like Cooma. The public toilets do shut at about 9pm though which is not handy for late night charging.

Goulburn SC is just far enough from the police station not feel safer by its presence, but it's mid-way between the police station and the railway station. Someone who was just interviewed or released, wandering to the railway station (if their goal is to get out of Goulburn), will walk right past. It's just far enough away that if some lowlife feels an urge to smash something, guess what they'll target....

Goulburn SC is just far enough from the police station not feel safer by its presence, but it's mid-way between the police station and the railway station. Someone who was just interviewed or released, wandering to the railway station (if their goal is to get out of Goulburn), will walk right past. It's just far enough away that if some lowlife feels an urge to smash something, guess what they'll target....
Has that happened?

I have been using the Goulburn SC for the whole time it has been open (4+ years)and I have NEVER had or seen any problems. In fact I often have very pleasant chats with passers by and other interested locals.
I have heard reports of vandalism but the worst I have seen have been regular stolen Tesla signs.
I tried to buy one for my home garage from Tesla some time ago but the Tesla employee I spoke with wouldn’t sell me one but suggested that I might “liberate” one from a SC site. I have not contributed to local vandalism.

Has that happened?
If I'm overstating things, I apologise.

However, it's worth mentioning something. Goulburn, being a prison town, has some considerations to be aware of. I rode Greyhound daily down there, for six months straight. One of the Greyhound drivers once clued me in about why the front row seating is children-only (unless the driver knows someone & wants to chat while they're aboard). Greyhound serves a lot of prison towns. Ex-inmates tend to travel by public transport. They just left a world where they had three square meals and predictable surroundings, into an unpredictable clown world. As that realisation kicks in, they snap, and assault someone (often said coach drivers) or smash something, so they get back into familiar surroundings. There's hardly a coach driver around who hasn't had that happen to them.

Obviously the police station isn't the prison. But the supercharger is still just a few streets away from the railway station. Be alert - but not alarmed.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
kings-meadows-2020-02-14.jpg
Kings Meadows site is looking good. A couple of vehicles were invited for testing on Wednesday, but word is some more work is required to be done before it is 100% ready for public use.

Charged my P3D+ at the Zetland Chargefox Ultra-rapids today after driving the short distance from the airport using sport mode to heat the battery a bit.

Arrived with 34% SOC. Peaked at 108kW. Dropped to high 90s a few minutes later. I stopped charging at 82% by which time I was down to 85kW.

Not sure how much difference a hotter battery would make.

I was the only person at the charging stalls at the time.

Charged my P3D+ at the Zetland Chargefox Ultra-rapids today after driving the short distance from the airport using sport mode to heat the battery a bit.

Arrived with 34% SOC. Peaked at 108kW. Dropped to high 90s a few minutes later. I stopped charging at 82% by which time I was down to 85kW.

Not sure how much difference a hotter battery would make.

I was the only person at the charging stalls at the time.
It makes a difference. Best speeds achieved when battery temps over 43C (after 30mins highway driving) and 10% ish SOC

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
View attachment 511007 Kings Meadows site is looking good. A couple of vehicles were invited for testing on Wednesday, but word is some more work is required to be done before it is 100% ready for public use.
Nice! Now if they could only get that connected up quick and then get onto some charging sites elsewhere in the state too - their July deadline for all those installations will be here a lot quicker than they realise otherwise!

Nice! Now if they could only get that connected up quick and then get onto some charging sites elsewhere in the state too - their July deadline for all those installations will be here a lot quicker than they realise otherwise!

Ironically of the 14 stations coming to Tassie, this is one of the 3 which is not getting a grant and therefore the July deadline isn't relevant!

(the other 2 of the 3 are the southern Evie location - Kempton/Brighton, and another as yet unknown location)