Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargeFox EV charging Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot_20220920-200734.png

Byron Bay Library now a paid charger on the ChargeFox Network. Seems to be working again with intermittent issues.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220920-200316.png
    Screenshot_20220920-200316.png
    469.8 KB · Views: 40
You can now order an RFID card through the Chargefox app.
However, they are now charging $9.90 for the card.
Oh man, should have grabbed a few while they were going for free (though still waiting for my car).

I'd read that the RFID's are much more reliable than using an app to charge since 4G Mobile reception could be patchy depending on your network and how far underground the charger is in a car park. Is that still the case? Is the recommendation to just pay the $10 to get these cards, which could potentially be, per-provider, just in case payment fails? Just seeing if I should rush out and get any (while they're) free rfid's .

I'd read that the RFID's are much more reliable than using an app to charge since 4G Mobile reception could be patchy depending on your network and how far underground the charger is in a car park. Is that still the case?

I have Evie and Chargefox RFIDs and always use them. I keep them in the car’s console. It‘s particularly handy when the screen on the DCFC is busted or so hard to see with sunlight, cracked glass or whatever that it makes following onscreen instructions impossible. It’s also a one-step process (wave the card in front of the reader) instead of a 4-step process (take out phone, open App, select charger, start).

The recommendation is to grab the free Evie RFID card and use it with your chargefox account.

Note that Evie cards work on Chargefox, but the reverse is not true. I tried it and it doesn’t work, even though I entered my Chargefox card number into the Evie app. In fact Evie now have stickers on the card readers that say “Evie RFID cards only”.

I lost my old Chargefox prox card about a year ago. I think it fell out of my pocket in Goulburn, but there was never any suspicious usage of it. Finally got around to getting Chargefox to delink it from my account a few months ago.

I've had my Chargefox and Evie accounts set up to recognize my Evie and ACTEWAGL cards for over two years now. Two is enough. And the only place I've ever charged at where the prox card is critical is Chargefox at Shell Cove. Though that'll change as more stalls get installed underground. The minute the charger loses its own mobile data connection from the provider's billing system, their app becomes useless, even if your own mobile data coverage is fine. You either have to activate it offline with a prox card, or wait it out & hope the site reboots itself.

Reactions: RareEarth
Yep, used the chargefox card at Goulburn last Thursday as only 1 of the 350kW chargers is working but it doesn't have the screen in operation, and it has been like that for ages. Having the card makes it super simple almost as quick as Tesla SC.

Chargefox gave me a nice keyring gadget which is smaller than a card and very convenient. I had to call them though, as at the time their app didn't have the option to order one.

Correct basically they are fairly dumb NFC cards.

On FB someone has said specifically ISO 14443-3A cards (many work/home cards would be the same)
And just use a random 8-digit alphanumeric - 36^8 or about 2.8 trillion combinations.

Amazon has the Chargefox style keyring gadgets for about $1 each (pack of 10). Use 1 have 9 spare ..

Reactions: Hairyman