Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargeFox EV charging Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some fundamental layout issues apparently with the new Ipswitch station

https://twitter.com/JezMans/status/1318119522029633536?s=20

56FEDF14-FAA7-4ED5-9C59-5607267B11BC.jpeg

Of particular interest to Tesla owners, their Horsham site is 4 stalls (vs Tesla’s 2 stalls), and they have an additional site at Murray Bridge - so good backup to the supercharger option. Evie has a Tailem Bend site too.

Agreed in my old Model S getting all the way to Adelaide from Keith was no problems but cuts in fine in our Model X unless you ignore Tesla prompts you have enough to go and fully charge...good to have one in Murry Bridge/Tailem Bend.

ChargeFox have started offering discount charging for a range of EVs. Not Tesla, but we have the referral program.

Might be of interest to some: Partnerships - Chargefox

thats great but there are plenty of regions i.e. anywhere north of Gympie which dont get any supercharging so referral programms are useless.

Of note is that Port Douglas, Innisfail, Ayr (AC only), Gympie or now open with Cardwell, Prosperine, Mt Larcom and Ayr DC following suit soon.

Why would Tesla pay their competitors?

I’m happy that Chargefox is 12c per kWh cheaper than a Supercharger. And also, that some of Chargefox’s sites (notably Goulburn) are better sited, near 24 hour toilets and coffee. Unfortunately not Zetland or Shell Cove, but I’ll take what I can get.

As for north of Gympie, that’s what QESH is there for. Heck, Gympie supercharger isn’t even in a 24 hour car park last I checked.

Why would Tesla pay their competitors?

I’m happy that Chargefox is 12c per kWh cheaper than a Supercharger. And also, that some of Chargefox’s sites (notably Goulburn) are better sited, near 24 hour toilets and coffee. Unfortunately not Zetland or Shell Cove, but I’ll take what I can get.

As for north of Gympie, that’s what QESH is there for. Heck, Gympie supercharger isn’t even in a 24 hour car park last I checked.

QESH you still have to pay for, you dont get a discount for driving a Tesla. That said the government subsidises it slightly.
The downside is that QESH is 43kw only, often dropping to mid 30s which is too slow for long travel.
I.e. driving Cairns to Rockhampton via QESH you spend 3h charging on the 3 and maybe 3.5-4h on the S/X. Too long.

My SR+ takes 37 minutes 10% to 90% on a 350kW charger, or an hour on a 50kW charger. That extra 23 minutes isn’t fun, but meh. The 350s are unbelievably unreliable when compared to a 50. Hopefully new 350 sites will always include a 50 as a backup.

And if you’re going from Cairns to Rocky, may I direct your attention to the Evie Networks 350kW charger at Townsville (Cluden). 4 stalls. A tad more expensive than QESH but roughly the same cost as a supercharger (post the recent price hike). Probably best to take that discussion into the Evie thread though.

May I also mention that there are a lot of QESH chargers in coastal towns. Stopping 3 times for long maximum fills is a mistake. There are 8 QESH chargers active on the Chargefox map along that route. Stop more frequently for short top ups and keep your battery at a lower state of charge. Charging doesn’t get slow til around 75%.

Last edited:
Chargefox 350kW Australind, WA opened today.

They tweeted the following map for their 350kW network.

IMG_20201109_095916.jpg

Looks like one/all of the points at RACWA HQ in West Perth will be upgraded to 350kW - which will be the first ultra-rapid charger in Perth itself.

Gundagai is back to planned as the 350kW units were removed in June.
(Arguably Shell Cove should be similar given all the issues)

Last edited:
Chargefox 350kW Australind, WA opened today.

They tweeted the following map for their 350kW network.

View attachment 606661

Looks like one/all of the points at RACWA HQ in West Perth will be upgraded to 350kW - which will be the first ultra-rapid charger in Perth itself.

Gundagai is back to planned as the 350kW units were removed in June.
(Arguably Shell Cove should be similar given all the issues)
Unfortunately I'd hardly call Goulburn "Active" I have a 50% success rate there with the chargers being down, and I charge in Goulburn a lot... If I didn't have the superchargers close by as a backup, I'd be so mad.