Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargeFox EV charging Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has been good for those of us who travel a lot. What’s the usual turn around time for construction - online ?
If Shell Cove, Gundagai and Cooma are anything to go by, the better part of a year before they’re operating reliably. Maybe longer. Two of the three stalls at Goulburn were kaput last night.

*sobs*

I gave up the centre stall at Goulburn when I was in the mid 60%s and had more than enough charge to reach Shell Cove, though I wanted more in case of a detour. I was already below 50kW, so the side charger would have been fine. A Taycan had just arrived so it seemed tasteless to hog the good charger. But then I couldn’t activate the 50! It wanted me to press the Start button, but it was blisteringly cold and the plastic cover on the front of the charger had warped into an inverted V right on top of the start button. No matter how hard I jammed it from any angle I couldn’t make it start.

Last edited:
Anyone know if Chargefox just don’t care about maintenance?

Ballarat has had one 350 Tritium down since before Jan., and now there is sticky tape and texta written saying do not use
on one of the slower 50KW one CCS port.

edit.

i just saw there is a note in the app which says they are waiting on parts from Tritium for past 6 months !

i just saw there is a note in the app which says they are waiting on parts from Tritium for past 6 months !

There’s a global chip shortage due to the pandemic and just about any active electronic componentry is suffering significant delays and shortages. I’d cut them and Tritium some slack.

Still sounds like there is not very good planning somewhere.
In my day job, I have been dealing with the chip shortage for 9 months now.
For me, the delays are only now hitting 6 months for some equipment. Most is still coming in in less than 4 months.
For most of the 9 months, I have been placing my orders 3 months earlier than normal. Two months ago I went to 6 months early.
They (Tritium, and to some extent Chargefox and NRMA) should be allowing for a maintenance buffer.
Plus with their expansion plans, I would have thought they would be ordering regularly enough that they could allocate a previously ordered unit into maintenance stock.
Yes, it takes a bit of work, flexibility and cash-flow management, that's what customer service is all about.

Both ultra-rabbits in Horsham were being worked on when I was there on Friday. Plugged into a "50"kW unit, got 17kW. Repair guy looked into it, something on his phone, told me he couldn't see why it was going so slow. Plugged into the other "50"kW unit, got 43kW. Well, good thing we were stopping for lunch anyway, after all that faffing around (messing around in the ChargeFox app to get started each time, getting the stupid charge port to unlock in the pouring rain) we couldn't be bothered heading to the Tesla units.

Poor experience compared with a few minutes at a (covered!) petrol bowser unfortunately.

Left note on Plugshare.

Reactions: AussieOwner
I'm sure Evan, who works for Chargefox on building out locations for their charging network, knows innocent comments like this get EV owners quite excited about future possibilities :)

1625466374290.png

Still sounds like there is not very good planning somewhere…

They (Tritium, and to some extent Chargefox and NRMA) should be allowing for a maintenance buffer.
Plus with their expansion plans, I would have thought they would be ordering regularly enough that they could allocate a previously ordered unit into maintenance stock.
Yes, it takes a bit of work, flexibility and cash-flow management, that's what customer service is all about.
That is possibly easier to do with high volume production where the weekly chip requirements are stable, predictable and known well in advance, and also due to that volume, the purchaser has a lot of clout with the supplier.

I don’t know how many units Tritium makes every month, but their volumes might be small and production lumpy, making “just in time” component ordering trickier when leadtimes are all over the place. And over-ordering waaaay ahead of time can hit cash flows really hard.

With the big guys screaming down the phone to get delivery priority, the smaller guys are pushed to the back of the queue. I still cut them some slack.

Reactions: Anubis
I'd never rely on them as the single source of power for a road trip. Single stalls = single point of failure.
The Gundagai Chargefox chargers under discussion aren't single stalls, though. There's two ultrafasts, both of which are cactus, and a 50kW which is apparently still fine.

The Ovens Supercharger site is apparently completely offline right now too, in another case where multiple units isn't a guarantee.

This is why something like plugshare is so important, lets you plan ahead and get around a dead charger. Trouble is not everyone uses it. Should be a sign on the chargers asking people to report on plugshare as well as to the operator.
The operators should update plugshare themselves. NRMA often do, and ActewAGL have started doing so recently. Evie has a direct data feed to Plugshare.

What I don't understand is when you see someone complain on Plugshare about rolling up and finding the charger dead, when there's been two weeks of reports on Plugshare already saying that the charger is out. If you're not using it to check ahead on the status of chargers, and instead just as some place to vent your rage, you're not really getting all the value of it that you could be.

Last edited: